FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 09-07-2012, 04:42 AM
nomnex
 
Default USB HD (Ext4) does not auto-mount anymore

Fedora 15 XFCE (the file manager is Thunar). I use an external USB HD
(formatted Ext4, same as my system) to backup my system. The drive
auto-mounts when I turn the notebook on.

I violently pulled the USB cable by accident. Both the drive and the
external HD were transferring data when it happened.

I turned off both devices, I checked the USB cable and the USB
sockets. After re-booting, the external drive starts, but it does
appears anymore in my file manager. I tried with a second portable USB
HD (also formatted Ext4). The lead turns green, but it does not
auto-mount either.

I tried with a USB stick (Fat32). I can see this drive in the file
manager.

How do I troubleshoot that?

--
nomnex <nomnex@gmail.com>
Freenode: nomnex
Registered Linux user #505281. Be counted at: http://linuxcounter.net
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
 
Old 09-07-2012, 05:08 AM
Ed Greshko
 
Default USB HD (Ext4) does not auto-mount anymore

On 09/07/2012 12:42 PM, nomnex wrote:
> Fedora 15 XFCE (the file manager is Thunar). I use an external USB HD
> (formatted Ext4, same as my system) to backup my system. The drive
> auto-mounts when I turn the notebook on.
>
> I violently pulled the USB cable by accident. Both the drive and the
> external HD were transferring data when it happened.
>
> I turned off both devices, I checked the USB cable and the USB
> sockets. After re-booting, the external drive starts, but it does
> appears anymore in my file manager. I tried with a second portable USB
> HD (also formatted Ext4). The lead turns green, but it does not
> auto-mount either.
>
> I tried with a USB stick (Fat32). I can see this drive in the file
> manager.
>
> How do I troubleshoot that?
>

unplug the drive
tailf /var/log/messages
plug-in the drive

--
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. -- Rick Cook, The Wizardry Compiled
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
 
Old 09-07-2012, 05:38 AM
nomnex
 
Default USB HD (Ext4) does not auto-mount anymore

> On Fri, 07 Sep 2012 13:08:06 +0800
> Ed Greshko <Ed.Greshko@greshko.com> wrote:
>
> On 09/07/2012 12:42 PM, nomnex wrote:
> > Fedora 15 XFCE (the file manager is Thunar). I use an external USB
> > HD (formatted Ext4, same as my system) to backup my system. The
> > drive auto-mounts when I turn the notebook on.
> >
> > I violently pulled the USB cable by accident. Both the drive and the
> > external HD were transferring data when it happened.
> >
> > I turned off both devices, I checked the USB cable and the USB
> > sockets. After re-booting, the external drive starts, but it does
> > appears anymore in my file manager. I tried with a second portable
> > USB HD (also formatted Ext4). The lead turns green, but it does not
> > auto-mount either.
> >
> > I tried with a USB stick (Fat32). I can see this drive in the file
> > manager.
> >
> > How do I troubleshoot that?
> >
>
> unplug the drive
> tailf /var/log/messages
> plug-in the drive
>
Thank you,

Log attached.

I can see the portable USB HD (Ext4) in the file manager.

The USB drive I pulled the USB cable out is a 1T Backup driver. It
contains everything...

I pug the drive in another notebook, running the same OS. The drive does
not appear.

Can pulling out a USB cable damage a partition table. I am worry now.

--
nomnex <nomnex@gmail.com>
Freenode: nomnex
Registered Linux user #505281. Be counted at: http://linuxcounter.net
Sep 7 14:18:28 nh28d kernel: [ 5691.422077] usb 3-2: device descriptor read/64, error -62
Sep 7 14:18:28 nh28d kernel: [ 5691.688077] usb 3-2: device descriptor read/64, error -62
Sep 7 14:18:28 nh28d kernel: [ 5691.946084] usb 3-2: new full-speed USB device number 24 using ohci_hcd
Sep 7 14:18:29 nh28d kernel: [ 5692.111084] usb 3-2: device descriptor read/64, error -62
Sep 7 14:18:29 nh28d kernel: [ 5692.377067] usb 3-2: device descriptor read/64, error -62
Sep 7 14:18:29 nh28d kernel: [ 5692.635077] usb 3-2: new full-speed USB device number 25 using ohci_hcd
Sep 7 14:18:29 nh28d kernel: [ 5693.039073] usb 3-2: device not accepting address 25, error -62
Sep 7 14:18:30 nh28d kernel: [ 5693.196062] usb 3-2: new full-speed USB device number 26 using ohci_hcd
Sep 7 14:18:30 nh28d kernel: [ 5693.600077] usb 3-2: device not accepting address 26, error -62
Sep 7 14:18:30 nh28d kernel: [ 5693.600109] hub 3-0:1.0: unable to enumerate USB device on port 2
Sep 7 14:21:20 nh28d kernel: [ 5863.378081] usb 3-2: new full-speed USB device number 27 using ohci_hcd
Sep 7 14:21:20 nh28d kernel: [ 5863.543073] usb 3-2: device descriptor read/64, error -62
Sep 7 14:21:20 nh28d kernel: [ 5863.809101] usb 3-2: device descriptor read/64, error -62
Sep 7 14:21:21 nh28d kernel: [ 5864.067091] usb 3-2: new full-speed USB device number 28 using ohci_hcd
Sep 7 14:21:21 nh28d kernel: [ 5864.232068] usb 3-2: device descriptor read/64, error -62
Sep 7 14:21:21 nh28d kernel: [ 5864.498063] usb 3-2: device descriptor read/64, error -62
Sep 7 14:21:21 nh28d kernel: [ 5864.756077] usb 3-2: new full-speed USB device number 29 using ohci_hcd
Sep 7 14:21:22 nh28d kernel: [ 5865.160073] usb 3-2: device not accepting address 29, error -62
Sep 7 14:21:22 nh28d kernel: [ 5865.317104] usb 3-2: new full-speed USB device number 30 using ohci_hcd
Sep 7 14:21:22 nh28d kernel: [ 5865.721067] usb 3-2: device not accepting address 30, error -62
Sep 7 14:21:22 nh28d kernel: [ 5865.721098] hub 3-0:1.0: unable to enumerate USB device on port 2
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
 
Old 09-07-2012, 05:52 AM
Ed Greshko
 
Default USB HD (Ext4) does not auto-mount anymore

On 09/07/2012 01:38 PM, nomnex wrote:
> Log attached.
>
> I can see the portable USB HD (Ext4) in the file manager.
>
> The USB drive I pulled the USB cable out is a 1T Backup driver. It
> contains everything...
>
> I pug the drive in another notebook, running the same OS. The drive does
> not appear.
>
> Can pulling out a USB cable damage a partition table. I am worry now.

You said you pulled it out violently. Have you tried a different cable? Different USB Port?

The log entries don't seem to indicate that there is a problem reading the drive but more of a communication problem with the drive.

--
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. -- Rick Cook, The Wizardry Compiled
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
 
Old 09-07-2012, 06:20 AM
nomnex
 
Default USB HD (Ext4) does not auto-mount anymore

> On Fri, 07 Sep 2012 13:52:14 +0800
> Ed Greshko <Ed.Greshko@greshko.com> wrote:

<snip>

> You said you pulled it out violently. Have you tried a different
> cable? Different USB Port?
>
> The log entries don't seem to indicate that there is a problem
> reading the drive but more of a communication problem with the drive.

The only thing I did not try was changing the short USB cord that
connect the HD drive to the USB cord extension. Ed, that did it!!

Thanks for the quick responses.

--
nomnex <nomnex@gmail.com>
Freenode: nomnex
Registered Linux user #505281. Be counted at: http://linuxcounter.net
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
 
Old 09-07-2012, 06:20 AM
nomnex
 
Default USB HD (Ext4) does not auto-mount anymore

> On Fri, 07 Sep 2012 13:52:14 +0800
> Ed Greshko <Ed.Greshko@greshko.com> wrote:

<snip>

> You said you pulled it out violently. Have you tried a different
> cable? Different USB Port?
>
> The log entries don't seem to indicate that there is a problem
> reading the drive but more of a communication problem with the drive.

The only thing I did not try was changing the short USB cord that
connect the HD drive to the USB cord extension. Ed, that did it!!

Thanks for the quick responses.

--
nomnex <nomnex@gmail.com>
Freenode: nomnex
Registered Linux user #505281. Be counted at: http://linuxcounter.net
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
 
Old 09-07-2012, 06:52 AM
Mateusz Marzantowicz
 
Default USB HD (Ext4) does not auto-mount anymore

On 07.09.2012 08:20, nomnex wrote:
>> On Fri, 07 Sep 2012 13:52:14 +0800
>> Ed Greshko <Ed.Greshko@greshko.com> wrote:
> <snip>
>
>> You said you pulled it out violently. Have you tried a different
>> cable? Different USB Port?
>>
>> The log entries don't seem to indicate that there is a problem
>> reading the drive but more of a communication problem with the drive.
> The only thing I did not try was changing the short USB cord that
> connect the HD drive to the USB cord extension. Ed, that did it!!
>
> Thanks for the quick responses.
>

Now, that you have working USB drive, check it with fsck.ext4 to
see/repair any file system inconsistencies that might have occurred
during this "violent" unplug action. Some people might also recommend
doing image of valuable data partition (using dd) before running fsck.


Mateusz Marzantowicz
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
 
Old 09-07-2012, 08:08 AM
nomnex
 
Default USB HD (Ext4) does not auto-mount anymore

> On Fri, 07 Sep 2012 08:52:46 +0200
> Mateusz Marzantowicz <mmarzantowicz@osdf.com.pl> wrote:

<snip>

> Now, that you have working USB drive, check it with fsck.ext4 to
> see/repair any file system inconsistencies that might have occurred
> during this "violent" unplug action. Some people might also recommend
> doing image of valuable data partition (using dd) before running fsck.

Thank you for the advice. It must take some time to check 1T HD on a
celeron with 512 ram. I will probably do that at night.

I guess, the drive should not be mounted when I check. My USB drive is
mounted in /media, and the file manager has to options
a. Mount
b. Eject <-- is it enough

Could you help with the correct syntax ? Do I need some of emergency
switches below?

Usage: fsck.ext4 [-panyrcdfvtDFV] [-b superblock] [-B blocksize]
[-I inode_buffer_blocks] [-P process_inode_size]
[-l|-L bad_blocks_file] [-C fd] [-j external_journal]
[-E extended-options] device

Emergency help:
-p Automatic repair (no questions)
-n Make no changes to the filesystem
-y Assume "yes" to all questions
-c Check for bad blocks and add them to the badblock
list -f Force checking even if filesystem is marked
clean -v Be verbose
-b superblock Use alternative superblock
-B blocksize Force blocksize when looking for superblock
-j external_journal Set location of the external journal
-l bad_blocks_file Add to badblocks list
-L bad_blocks_file Set badblocks list

--
nomnex <nomnex@gmail.com>
Freenode: nomnex
Registered Linux user #505281. Be counted at: http://linuxcounter.net
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
 
Old 09-07-2012, 09:48 AM
Mateusz Marzantowicz
 
Default USB HD (Ext4) does not auto-mount anymore

On 07.09.2012 10:08, nomnex wrote:
>> On Fri, 07 Sep 2012 08:52:46 +0200
>> Mateusz Marzantowicz <mmarzantowicz@osdf.com.pl> wrote:
> <snip>
>
>> Now, that you have working USB drive, check it with fsck.ext4 to
>> see/repair any file system inconsistencies that might have occurred
>> during this "violent" unplug action. Some people might also recommend
>> doing image of valuable data partition (using dd) before running fsck.
> Thank you for the advice. It must take some time to check 1T HD on a
> celeron with 512 ram. I will probably do that at night.
>
> I guess, the drive should not be mounted when I check. My USB drive is
> mounted in /media, and the file manager has to options
> a. Mount
> b. Eject <-- is it enough

Yes, media must not be mounted during fsck check (or at last not in
read-write mode). You'll probably use system console so it's convenient
to use commands like: mount (without options shows mounted file systems)
and umount.

>
> Could you help with the correct syntax ? Do I need some of emergency
> switches below?
>

I think fsck.ext4 -f -p /device would be sufficient and should repair
all common problems. If something really bad happened to your file
system, you'll be informed.


Mateusz Marzantowicz
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
 
Old 09-07-2012, 10:06 AM
Alan Cox
 
Default USB HD (Ext4) does not auto-mount anymore

On Fri, 7 Sep 2012 13:42:40 +0900
nomnex <nomnex@gmail.com> wrote:

> Fedora 15 XFCE (the file manager is Thunar). I use an external USB HD
> (formatted Ext4, same as my system) to backup my system. The drive
> auto-mounts when I turn the notebook on.
>
> I violently pulled the USB cable by accident. Both the drive and the
> external HD were transferring data when it happened.
>
> I turned off both devices, I checked the USB cable and the USB
> sockets. After re-booting, the external drive starts, but it does
> appears anymore in my file manager. I tried with a second portable USB
> HD (also formatted Ext4). The lead turns green, but it does not
> auto-mount either.
>
> I tried with a USB stick (Fat32). I can see this drive in the file
> manager.
>
> How do I troubleshoot that?

If you get a light it probably means you've got power, but not
necessarily any other signals.

Stuff the thing in, and see what is logged in dmesg when you do so

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 07:14 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org