Old 09-07-2012, 04:02 AM
gary artim

Default virsh and libvirtd

I have a fedora system configured and running with virsh using
kvm/qemu. All I want is to have a fixed ipaddress for that virtual
machine. I know that there is the Host and Guest sides to the network.
The host has virbr0 interface, which i guess is a bridge. Seem when
ever I define a interface to the guest with a type=routed it hoses my
other interfaces on the host and requires a console reboot --
completely hanging the network. I'm no networking expert, but there
must be a simple N step procedure for defining a static IPaddress to
route to a guest machine? Has anyone got this working and have a
procedure. My network has 2 nic, eth0 and eth1 (10.0.0.253 and
10.0.1.253), one nic has a route to an nfs machine, the other passes
through a linux based router to the wan. I can alias the 10.0.1.253
(eth0) to another address in the subnet, like 10.0.1.251 (eth0:0) and
would like to use it in some way to connect to the guest -- I have the
nat/routing working fine from the router to eth0:0. The network for
libvirt is confusing. It not obvious which side (guest or host) your
defining and seem to keep multiple definitions around, even after a
restart of libvirtd.service. An help would be great!

Old 09-07-2012, 07:12 AM
Mateusz Marzantowicz

On 07.09.2012 06:02, gary artim wrote:
> I have a fedora system configured and running with virsh using
> kvm/qemu. All I want is to have a fixed ipaddress for that virtual
> machine. I know that there is the Host and Guest sides to the network.
> The host has virbr0 interface, which i guess is a bridge. Seem when
> ever I define a interface to the guest with a type=routed it hoses my
> other interfaces on the host and requires a console reboot --
> completely hanging the network. I'm no networking expert, but there
> must be a simple N step procedure for defining a static IPaddress to
> route to a guest machine? Has anyone got this working and have a
> procedure. My network has 2 nic, eth0 and eth1 (10.0.0.253 and
> 10.0.1.253), one nic has a route to an nfs machine, the other passes
> through a linux based router to the wan. I can alias the 10.0.1.253
> (eth0) to another address in the subnet, like 10.0.1.251 (eth0:0) and
> would like to use it in some way to connect to the guest -- I have the
> nat/routing working fine from the router to eth0:0. The network for
> libvirt is confusing. It not obvious which side (guest or host) your
> defining and seem to keep multiple definitions around, even after a
> restart of libvirtd.service. An help would be great!

Sorry for replying with a link, but please read instructions at:

[1] http://www.linux-kvm.org/page/Networking
[2]
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Getting_started_with_virtualization#Networking_Sup port
[3] http://wiki.libvirt.org/page/Networking

I assume that you're interested in "public bridge" scenario, that is
your guest can connect to the network and other hosts can reach the
guest host. You also want to have static IP assigned to your guest OS.
Solution is that you configure your bridge networking according to
instructions in 1, 2, 3 and then set up static IP addresses on network
interfaces inside your guests. It's up to guest host how (static vs
dynamic) its network interfaces are configured.

Mateusz Marzantowicz

Old 09-07-2012, 04:14 PM
gary artim

what confuses is that the .XML examples have ipaddresses and the guest has definitions and the host has definitions. so if you define a fix IP in the lirtlib .XML should your guest define the same address? would you say the .XML is the glue between the host and guest and must match? I think the libvirt examples lack the whole picture, but maybe its just me. I suppose if the thing just worked I would have cared less and never strived to understand. I do feel the libvirt doc is well done, maybe i just have holes in my understanding that would clear this up. gary