FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 09-06-2012, 11:45 PM
jackson byers
 
Default f16, no response to commands "grub" or "grub2"

f16, no response to commands "grub" or "grub2"

grub.cfg exists


# uname -a
Linux f16a9.pacbell.net 3.4.9-2.fc16.i686.PAE #1 SMP Thu Aug 23
18:41:34 UTC 2012 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

# cd /boot
# ls
config-3.4.9-1.fc16.i686.PAE initrd-plymouth.img
config-3.4.9-2.fc16.i686.PAE lost+found
efi memtest86+-4.20
elf-memtest86+-4.20 System.map-3.4.9-1.fc16.i686.PAE
grub System.map-3.4.9-2.fc16.i686.PAE
grub2 vmlinuz-3.4.9-1.fc16.i686.PAE
initramfs-3.4.9-1.fc16.i686.PAE.img vmlinuz-3.4.9-2.fc16.i686.PAE
initramfs-3.4.9-2.fc16.i686.PAE.img

# ls -l /boot/grub2/grub.cfg
-r--------. 1 root root 20339 Sep 6 15:05 /boot/grub2/grub.cfg


[root@f16a9 ~]#
[root@f16a9 ~]# grub
-bash: grub: command not found

[root@f16a9 ~]# grub2
-bash: grub2: command not found

Is there some other way of starting grub2?
of getting to a 'grub >' prompt?

I have the feeling I am doing something really dumb.

either that, or my f16 is misconfigured somehow.

This f16 came from 'preupdate' in f14.
I have not seen any errors as the system boots.


Jack
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
 
Old 09-07-2012, 09:44 AM
Michael Schwendt
 
Default f16, no response to commands "grub" or "grub2"

On Thu, 6 Sep 2012 16:45:30 -0700, jackson byers wrote:

> f16, no response to commands "grub" or "grub2"
>
> grub.cfg exists
>
>
> # uname -a
> Linux f16a9.pacbell.net 3.4.9-2.fc16.i686.PAE #1 SMP Thu Aug 23
> 18:41:34 UTC 2012 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
>
> # cd /boot
> # ls
> config-3.4.9-1.fc16.i686.PAE initrd-plymouth.img
> config-3.4.9-2.fc16.i686.PAE lost+found
> efi memtest86+-4.20
> elf-memtest86+-4.20 System.map-3.4.9-1.fc16.i686.PAE
> grub System.map-3.4.9-2.fc16.i686.PAE
> grub2 vmlinuz-3.4.9-1.fc16.i686.PAE
> initramfs-3.4.9-1.fc16.i686.PAE.img vmlinuz-3.4.9-2.fc16.i686.PAE
> initramfs-3.4.9-2.fc16.i686.PAE.img
>
> # ls -l /boot/grub2/grub.cfg
> -r--------. 1 root root 20339 Sep 6 15:05 /boot/grub2/grub.cfg
>
>
> [root@f16a9 ~]#
> [root@f16a9 ~]# grub
> -bash: grub: command not found
>
> [root@f16a9 ~]# grub2
> -bash: grub2: command not found
>
> Is there some other way of starting grub2?
> of getting to a 'grub >' prompt?
>
> I have the feeling I am doing something really dumb.
>
> either that, or my f16 is misconfigured somehow.
>
> This f16 came from 'preupdate' in f14.
> I have not seen any errors as the system boots.

Well, what do you get when you run

rpm -qa grub*

? If it shows that "grub2" is installed, examine the package's list of
files and look into how to use GRUB2.

--
Fedora release 17 (Beefy Miracle) - Linux 3.5.3-1.fc17.x86_64
loadavg: 0.00 0.08 0.12
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
 
Old 09-07-2012, 05:59 PM
jackson byers
 
Default f16, no response to commands "grub" or "grub2"

Michael Schwendt responded:


> Well, what do you get when you run

> rpm -qa grub*

>? If it shows that "grub2" is installed, examine the package's list of
> files and look into how to use GRUB2.

----------
[root@f16a9 ~]# rpm -qa grub*
grub-efi-0.97-84.fc16.i686
grub2-1.99-13.fc16.3.i686
grubby-8.8-2.fc16.i686

[root@f16a9 ~]# yum list installed | grep grub
grub-efi.i686 1:0.97-84.fc16 @anaconda-0
grub2.i686 1:1.99-13.fc16.3 @anaconda-0
grubby.i686 8.8-2.fc16 @anaconda-0
[root@f16a9 ~]#



[root@f16a9 ~]# locate grub2
/home/byers/Downloads/GRUB 2 bootloader - Full tutorial_files/grub2-00.jpg
/home/byers/Downloads/GRUB 2 bootloader - Full tutorial_files/grub2-05.jpg
/home/byers/Downloads/GRUB 2 bootloader - Full tutorial_files/grub2-40.jpg
/home/byers/Downloads/GRUB 2 bootloader - Full
tutorial_files/grub2-add-chainload.png
/home/byers/Downloads/GRUB 2 bootloader - Full
tutorial_files/grub2-boot-grub.jpg
/home/byers/Downloads/GRUB 2 bootloader - Full
tutorial_files/grub2-chainload.png
many more


what do i do with these image files? how to view them?

isn't Downloads a peculiar place for documentation?

isn't there some standard/automatic way to use grub2?
or do I still need a series of "configure" steps?


Jack
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
 
Old 09-07-2012, 06:17 PM
Michael Schwendt
 
Default f16, no response to commands "grub" or "grub2"

On Fri, 7 Sep 2012 10:59:27 -0700, jackson byers wrote:

> [root@f16a9 ~]# rpm -qa grub*
> grub-efi-0.97-84.fc16.i686
> grub2-1.99-13.fc16.3.i686
> grubby-8.8-2.fc16.i686

Seems you're missing the grub2-tools package for some useful tools,
such as grub2-install and grub2-mkconfig.

> [root@f16a9 ~]# locate grub2
> /home/byers/Downloads/GRUB 2 bootloader - Full tutorial_files/grub2-00.jpg
> /home/byers/Downloads/GRUB 2 bootloader - Full tutorial_files/grub2-05.jpg
> /home/byers/Downloads/GRUB 2 bootloader - Full tutorial_files/grub2-40.jpg
> /home/byers/Downloads/GRUB 2 bootloader - Full
> tutorial_files/grub2-add-chainload.png
> /home/byers/Downloads/GRUB 2 bootloader - Full
> tutorial_files/grub2-boot-grub.jpg
> /home/byers/Downloads/GRUB 2 bootloader - Full
> tutorial_files/grub2-chainload.png
> many more
>
>
> what do i do with these image files? how to view them?
>
> isn't Downloads a peculiar place for documentation?

Those are downloads you've done. The files don't belong to Fedora.

> isn't there some standard/automatic way to use grub2?
> or do I still need a series of "configure" steps?

There's lots of documentation on GRUB2. The changes (such as commands like
grub2-mkconfig) have been discussed on the mailing-lists too, many times.

--
Fedora release 17 (Beefy Miracle) - Linux 3.5.3-1.fc17.x86_64
loadavg: 0.05 0.10 0.11
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
 
Old 09-07-2012, 06:19 PM
Michael Schwendt
 
Default f16, no response to commands "grub" or "grub2"

On Fri, 7 Sep 2012 20:17:07 +0200, Michael Schwendt wrote:

> On Fri, 7 Sep 2012 10:59:27 -0700, jackson byers wrote:
>
> > [root@f16a9 ~]# rpm -qa grub*
> > grub-efi-0.97-84.fc16.i686
> > grub2-1.99-13.fc16.3.i686
> > grubby-8.8-2.fc16.i686
>
> Seems you're missing the grub2-tools package for some useful tools,
> such as grub2-install and grub2-mkconfig.

Oh, wait, with Fedora 16 the tools are in the main "grub2" package,
so you just need to read up on how to use them.

--
Fedora release 17 (Beefy Miracle) - Linux 3.5.3-1.fc17.x86_64
loadavg: 0.15 0.12 0.12
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
 
Old 09-08-2012, 11:04 PM
jackson byers
 
Default f16, no response to commands "grub" or "grub2"

Michael Schwendt responded

>> Seems you're missing the grub2-tools package for some useful tools,
>> such as grub2-install and grub2-mkconfig.

>Oh, wait, with Fedora 16 the tools are in the main "grub2" package,
>so you just need to read up on how to use them.

I have done some reading on both
grub2-install , grub2-mkconfig


what I was trying to do was just a bit
of exploring grub2
with a "grub command line interface"
(I may not have the nomenclature correct)

as in f14 grub1
just entering
"grub" and a carriage return
spits back
"grub >"


which I cannot do in my f16.
with either
"grub"
or
"grub2"

Is this just not possible with grub2?

Or perhaps intended only for rescue tools
such as a knoppix live cd?

Jack
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 01:26 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org