Old 09-06-2012, 06:33 PM
Bill Davidsen

Default Fedora 17 does not see Atheros AR8161L ethernet device on HP h8-1320t

Stowell Davison wrote:

I recently installed Fedora 17, 64 bit, on an HP h8-1320t. The machine has an
on-board ethernet port (RJ-45). According to the machine's spec sheet, that is
device is an "Atheros AR8161L".

Fedora does not see that interface device at all. Dmesg and /var/log/messages
contain no mention of "Atheros AR8161L" or any useful substring thereof. There
are no *eth0* files in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts.

By default FC17 makes up odd names for interfaces, look at "ifconfig -a" for it.
There is a config option to fix it, but no config option to use a MAC to name
conversion file so the name on the card is fixed. I'm looking at that, but in my
spare time. If have have just one NIC, the config will let always be eth0.

I know that the port hardware works because I was able to make network
connections from the machine using MS Windows.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Stowe Davison
http://nic-nac-project.de/~davison

--