Old 09-06-2012, 03:52 PM
Ian Malone

Default Fedora 17 does not see Atheros AR8161L ethernet device on HP h8-1320t

On 6 September 2012 15:28, Stowell Davison <swdavison@gmail.com> wrote:

> I recently installed Fedora 17, 64 bit, on an HP h8-1320t. The machine has
> an on-board ethernet port (RJ-45). According to the machine's spec sheet,
> that is device is an "Atheros AR8161L".
>
> Fedora does not see that interface device at all. Dmesg and
> /var/log/messages contain no mention of "Atheros AR8161L" or any useful
> substring thereof. There are no *eth0* files in
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts.
>
> I know that the port hardware works because I was able to make network
> connections from the machine using MS Windows.
>
> Thanks for any suggestions.
>
> Stowe Davison
> http://nic-nac-project.de/~davison

This appears to need the alx driver:
http://www.linuxfoundation.org/collaborate/workgroups/networking/alx

Which isn't on my fedora 17 box. You may have some luck trying the
compat-wireless packages:
http://people.redhat.com/sgruszka/compat_wireless.html
(yes, I know ethernet, not wireless, still, that seems to be where it is)

See also
http://www.jfdesignnet.com/?p=2133

It should show up in lspci.

--
imalone
http://ibmalone.blogspot.co.uk

Old 09-06-2012, 05:11 PM
Rick Stevens

On 09/06/2012 07:28 AM, Stowell Davison uttered this comment:

I recently installed Fedora 17, 64 bit, on an HP h8-1320t. The machine
has an on-board ethernet port (RJ-45). According to the machine's spec
sheet, that is device is an "Atheros AR8161L".

Atheros stuff is normally wi-fi, not wired. I'm not saying it isn't the
hardwire port but it wouldn't be common.

Fedora does not see that interface device at all. Dmesg and
/var/log/messages contain no mention of "Atheros AR8161L" or any useful
substring thereof. There are no *eth0* files in
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts.

In F17, unless you did an upgrade from a previous release and told udev
to keep the old name, the port will be named something based on the bus
and device IDs, like "p4p1" or "em1" or something. Try "ifconfig -a" as
the root user to see if the device is actually showing up.