Old 09-05-2012, 04:52 PM
"Bob Goodwin - Zuni, Virginia, USA"

Default Yum cache memory space -

I just finished a yum update and when done had this error message:

Error Downloading Packages:
1:libreoffice-core-3.5.6.2-2.fc17.x86_64: Insufficient space
in download directory /var/cache/yum/x86_64/17/updates/packages
* free 45 M
* needed 70 M

[root@box9 bobg]# df -h

shows:

/dev/sda2 1.5G 1.5G 0 100% /var

Perhaps I should have allocated space differently?

Can I just clear /var/cache/yum/x86_64/17/updates/packages? I
suspect that if I could it should happen without my help?

Bob

--
http://www.qrz.com/db/W2BOD

box9

Old 09-05-2012, 05:12 PM
Reindl Harald

Am 05.09.2012 18:52, schrieb Bob Goodwin - Zuni:
> Error Downloading Packages:
> 1:libreoffice-core-3.5.6.2-2.fc17.x86_64: Insufficient space
> in download directory /var/cache/yum/x86_64/17/updates/packages
> * free 45 M
> * needed 70 M
>
> [root@box9 bobg]# df -h
>
> shows:
>
> /dev/sda2 1.5G 1.5G 0 100% /var
>
> Perhaps I should have allocated space differently?

looks like

or you edit /etc/yum.conf -> cachedir=/var/cache/yum to somewhere else

> Can I just clear /var/cache/yum/x86_64/17/updates/packages?

you can even "rm -rf /var/cache/yum/*"
done this hundrets of times on many machines in the past years

> suspect that if I could it should happen without my help?

why should it?
if /etc/yum.conf contains "keepcache=1" it is supposed to keep

Old 09-05-2012, 05:56 PM
Michael Cronenworth

Bob Goodwin - Zuni, Virginia, USA wrote:

> Perhaps I should have allocated space differently?

Yes. It makes little sense to set hard partitions on root folders on a
desktop system. Allow the Fedora installer to setup default partitions.
There is little reason besides personal preference to choose a custom
partitioning scheme for a desktop/laptop used by one person.

> Can I just clear /var/cache/yum/x86_64/17/updates/packages? I
> suspect that if I could it should happen without my help?

# yum clean packages

Please see:
$ man yum
For a full listing of yum commands. There are many.

Old 09-05-2012, 07:44 PM
"Bob Goodwin - Zuni, Virginia, USA"

On 05/09/12 13:56, Michael Cronenworth responds:

Bob Goodwin - Zuni, Virginia, USA wrote:

Perhaps I should have allocated space differently?

Yes. It makes little sense to set hard partitions on root folders on a
desktop system. Allow the Fedora installer to setup default partitions.
There is little reason besides personal preference to choose a custom
partitioning scheme for a desktop/laptop used by one person.

Yes, I suppose you're right but I wanted to partition it myself
instead of the usual lvm. I will live with my mistakes, hopefully
get it right next time.

Can I just clear /var/cache/yum/x86_64/17/updates/packages? I
suspect that if I could it should happen without my help?

# yum clean packages

Please see:
$ man yum
For a full listing of yum commands. There are many.

I tried several of the things shown under yum clean, packages was
one of them, metadata another.

I'm still struggling with error messages, probably created by my
trying to stop yum early this morning when it did nothing but try
new mirrors. I should have stuck with the CTRL+c longer. Pushing the
reset button was not the thing to do, I knew that at the time but
nothing worked.

Thanks.

Bob

--
http://www.qrz.com/db/W2BOD

box9

Old 09-05-2012, 09:19 PM
Michael Cronenworth

Bob Goodwin - Zuni, Virginia, USA wrote:

> Yes, I suppose you're right but I wanted to partition it myself
> instead of the usual lvm. I will live with my mistakes, hopefully
> get it right next time.

There is a "use lvm" checkbox that you can uncheck during installation.
You are no longer forced to use LVM.

Old 09-06-2012, 06:23 PM
Bill Davidsen

Michael Cronenworth wrote:

Bob Goodwin - Zuni, Virginia, USA wrote:

Yes, I suppose you're right but I wanted to partition it myself
instead of the usual lvm. I will live with my mistakes, hopefully
get it right next time.

There is a "use lvm" checkbox that you can uncheck during installation.
You are no longer forced to use LVM.

For which I am deeply grateful. Most of the time LVM is fine, even preferred,
but some times I really "want it my way" and now that's easy.

Some thoughts on this problem:
1 - 1.5GB is too small for /var
2 - try "yum clean all" and restarting the upgrade, or even doing it in steps.
3 - you may have to bind mount a directory in a larger filesystem on
/var/cache/yum to get by this. Yes it's a PITA.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>

Old 09-06-2012, 06:47 PM
Joe Zeff