Old 09-05-2012, 09:36 AM
Suvayu Ali

Default how to stop yum update -

On Wed, Sep 05, 2012 at 04:08:47AM -0400, Bob Goodwin - Zuni, Virginia, USA wrote:

> I've run into this problem before. My ISP appears to have some early
> morning problem and when I start yum update it simply keeps trying
> to find another update. I can live with that and just try again
> later but there is no graceful way to tell yum to stop!

Please do not kill it as advised in the other response to the thread.
You could corrupt your package database.

You can simply hit Ctrl+c; yum/python is smart enough to under stand the
user is trying to cancel. If it is downloading somehting, it will say
to hit Ctrl+c again within 20s to confirm (or something along those
lines), after the second Ctrl+c yum quits gracefully.

--
Suvayu

Old 09-05-2012, 10:34 AM
Tim

Bob Goodwin:
> How can I stop the yum update? None of the usual stuff like CTRL+c
> works. This is F-17/64 bit.

Did you try more than once? The first ctrl+c interrupts the current
process, without doing a full abort. e.g. Cancels downloading a package
from the current repo mirror, and retries getting the same package from
the next repo mirror. Or, if you hadn't got to the stage of
downloading, whatever the current operation was (such as getting the
repo list).

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.

Old 09-05-2012, 10:43 AM
"Bob Goodwin - Zuni, Virginia, USA"

On 05/09/12 05:36, Suvayu Ali responds:

I've run into this problem before. My ISP appears to have some early
morning problem and when I start yum update it simply keeps trying
to find another update. I can live with that and just try again
later but there is no graceful way to tell yum to stop!

Please do not kill it as advised in the other response to the thread.
You could corrupt your package database.

You can simply hit Ctrl+c; yum/python is smart enough to under stand the
user is trying to cancel. If it is downloading somehting, it will say
to hit Ctrl+c again within 20s to confirm (or something along those
lines), after the second Ctrl+c yum quits gracefully.

I wasn't able to kill it anyway since top in an another terminal
didn't show yum I had no PID.

Several CTRL+c's did nothing I could see, nor did a stream of
perhaps ten. It just keeps trying and seems to ignore my effort to
stop.

--
http://www.qrz.com/db/W2BOD

box9

Old 09-05-2012, 11:02 AM
Reindl Harald

"killall yum" is your friend

Am 05.09.2012 12:55, schrieb Yashar Pezeshki:
> CTRL+C doesn't work for me neither! But you don't need to know the process id of yum, "kill `pidof yum`"
> will automatically replace the process id in front of the kill command. And if anything went wrong with your yum
> database, you can simply run "yum clean all" to clean your database, and any other time that you try to update your
> packages, it will be rebuild.
>
> On Wed, Sep 5, 2012 at 3:13 PM, Bob Goodwin - Zuni, Virginia, USA <bobgoodwin@wildblue.net
> <mailto:bobgoodwin@wildblue.net>> wrote:
>
> On 05/09/12 05:36, Suvayu Ali responds:
>
> On Wed, Sep 05, 2012 at 04:08:47AM -0400, Bob Goodwin - Zuni, Virginia, USA wrote:
>
> I've run into this problem before. My ISP appears to have some early
> morning problem and when I start yum update it simply keeps trying
> to find another update. I can live with that and just try again
> later but there is no graceful way to tell yum to stop!
>
> Please do not kill it as advised in the other response to the thread.
> You could corrupt your package database.
>
> You can simply hit Ctrl+c; yum/python is smart enough to under stand the
> user is trying to cancel. If it is downloading somehting, it will say
> to hit Ctrl+c again within 20s to confirm (or something along those
> lines), after the second Ctrl+c yum quits gracefully.
>

> I wasn't able to kill it anyway since top in an another terminal
> didn't show yum I had no PID.
>
> Several CTRL+c's did nothing I could see, nor did a stream of
> perhaps ten. It just keeps trying and seems to ignore my effort to
> stop.
>

> --
> http://www.qrz.com/db/W2BOD
>
> box9

Reindl Harald
the lounge interactive design GmbH
A-1060 Vienna, Hofmühlgasse 17
CTO / CISO / Software-Development
p: +43 (1) 595 3999 33, m: +43 (676) 40 221 40
icq: 154546673, http://www.thelounge.net/

http://www.thelounge.net/signature.asc.what.htm

Old 09-05-2012, 11:18 AM
Elliott Chapin

I ran into this from the package manager, which indicated failure.
"details" showed the zombie pid; killing it worked.

On 09/05/2012 06:55 AM, Yashar Pezeshki wrote:
> CTRL+C doesn't work for me neither! But you don't need to know the
> process id of yum, "kill `pidof yum`" will automatically replace the
> process id in front of the kill command. And if anything went wrong with
> your yum database, you can simply run "yum clean all" to clean your
> database, and any other time that you try to update your packages, it
> will be rebuild.
>
> On Wed, Sep 5, 2012 at 3:13 PM, Bob Goodwin - Zuni, Virginia, USA
> <bobgoodwin@wildblue.net <mailto:bobgoodwin@wildblue.net>> wrote:
>
> On 05/09/12 05:36, Suvayu Ali responds:
>
> On Wed, Sep 05, 2012 at 04:08:47AM -0400, Bob Goodwin - Zuni,
> Virginia, USA wrote:
>
> I've run into this problem before. My ISP appears to
> have some early
> morning problem and when I start yum update it simply
> keeps trying
> to find another update. I can live with that and just
> try again
> later but there is no graceful way to tell yum to stop!
>
> Please do not kill it as advised in the other response to the
> thread.
> You could corrupt your package database.
>
> You can simply hit Ctrl+c; yum/python is smart enough to under
> stand the
> user is trying to cancel. If it is downloading somehting, it
> will say
> to hit Ctrl+c again within 20s to confirm (or something along those
> lines), after the second Ctrl+c yum quits gracefully.
>

> I wasn't able to kill it anyway since top in an another terminal
> didn't show yum I had no PID.
>
> Several CTRL+c's did nothing I could see, nor did a stream of
> perhaps ten. It just keeps trying and seems to ignore my effort to
> stop.
>

> --
> http://www.qrz.com/db/W2BOD
>
> box9

clients.teksavvy.com/~echapin

Old 09-05-2012, 12:00 PM
Suvayu Ali

Hi Yashar,

A request: please do not top post; it makes it difficult to follow the
conversation and messes up the archives. Also please take the time to
read through the mailing list guidelines, this is mentioned there.

Now to get on topic,

On Wed, Sep 05, 2012 at 03:25:03PM +0430, Yashar Pezeshki wrote:
> CTRL+C doesn't work for me neither! But you don't need to know the process id
> of yum, "kill `pidof yum`" will automatically replace the process id in front
> of the kill command. And if anything went wrong with your yum database, you can
> simply run "yum clean all" to clean your database, and any other time that you
> try to update your packages, it will be rebuild.

You keep suggesting to kill yum but I think you are misunderstanding
what I meant by package database. The command "yum clean <sub command>"
only cleans cached data like, metadata, packages etc. There are two
databases involved here, the rpm database and yum's own database.
Killing yum with kill can corrupt these two. Although recovering the
rpm database (this is the more crucial one) is not impossible, but it is
somewhat of an inconvenience. However I do not know of any way to
recover yum's own database.

So please, think twice, thrice and many more times before you kill a
running yum process with kill. It should be the very last resort in
your toolbox, specially when repeated Ctrl+c is available.

And as in this case, when Ctrl+c is not behaving as it should. It could
just be a bug. The suggested course of action would then be to wait for
it to fail and die itself, turn of automatic update checking and report
a bug report.

Hope this helps.

--
Suvayu

Old 09-05-2012, 12:08 PM
Yashar Pezeshki

Thanks!

Old 09-05-2012, 01:04 PM
"Bob Goodwin - Zuni, Virginia, USA"

On 05/09/12 08:00, Suvayu Ali responds:

[...]

Ok, after many CTRL+c's I finally got through to it! It's apparently
a matter of being patient? I was getting continuous screenfuls of
these "Trying other mirror" messages. Normally yum update is
uneventful and just works. This may be related to another problem I
am seeing.

Trying other mirror.
http://mirror.its.sfu.ca/mirror/fedora/linux/updates/17/x86_64/repodata/2c3b0034cb0557f2da7d7fcb908e1c28d824d046bc23eeacfe 3d3e4cf4a2b50b-prestodelta.xml.gz:
[Errno 14] HTTP Error 404 - Not Found :
^Chttp://less.cogeco.net/fedora/linux/updates/17/x86_64/repodata/2c3b0034cb0557f2da7d7fcb908e1c28d824d046bc23eeacfe 3d3e4cf4a2b50b-prestodelta.xml.gz:
[Errno 14] HTTP Error 404 - Not Found :
http://less.cogeco.net/fedora/linux/updates/17/x86_64/repodata/2c3b0034cb0557f2da7d7fcb908e1c28d824d046bc23eeacfe 3d3e4cf4a2b50b-prestodelta.xml.gz
Trying other mirror.
^C^Cftp://ftp.cogeco.net/fedora/linux/updates/17/x86_64/repodata/2c3b0034cb0557f2da7d7fcb908e1c28d824d046bc23eeacfe 3d3e4cf4a2b50b-prestodelta.xml.gz:
[Errno 12] Timeout on
ftp://ftp.cogeco.net/fedora/linux/updates/17/x86_64/repodata/2c3b0034cb0557f2da7d7fcb908e1c28d824d046bc23eeacfe 3d3e4cf4a2b50b-prestodelta.xml.gz:
(28, ')
Trying other mirror.
^Chttp://mirrors.ucr.ac.cr/fedora/updates/17/x86_64/repodata/2c3b0034cb0557f2da7d7fcb908e1c28d824d046bc23eeacfe 3d3e4cf4a2b50b-prestodelta.xml.gz:
[Errno 14] HTTP Error 404 - Not Found :
http://mirrors.ucr.ac.cr/fedora/updates/17/x86_64/repodata/2c3b0034cb0557f2da7d7fcb908e1c28d824d046bc23eeacfe 3d3e4cf4a2b50b-prestodelta.xml.gz
Trying other mirror.
^C

Exiting on user cancel

A few days ago there was discussion about the Euro symbol. I tried
changing to the US International keyboard. That worked as advertised
but I have not been able to restore the simple US keyboard since. It
boots with the odd symbols, when I go to admin-settings it shows the
normal US keyboard set but I am getting accented "s," "U" umlaut,
have to press ALT-GR to get an apostrophe, all very inconvenient
until I tell it once more to select the US keyboard, then it works.

Related to yum update problem? I dunno, but it's a suspicious
coincidence.

Bob

.

--
http://www.qrz.com/db/W2BOD

box9

Old 09-05-2012, 05:43 PM
Heinz Diehl

On 05.09.2012, Suvayu Ali wrote:

> Please do not kill it as advised in the other response to the thread.
> You could corrupt your package database.

If you use plain "kill", a SIGTERM is sent to the process. If you send
a SIGHUP, there will be no data loss ("kill -HUP pid").