Old 11-19-2007, 05:23 PM
Frank Cox

Default Mysterious eth* inferfaces

On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 09:30:58 -0500
Michael Wiktowy <michael.wiktowy@gmail.com> wrote:

> Anyone else seeing this oddity that has an ASUS A7N8X mobo
> with integrated NICs?

I have recently heard of (but have never actually seen) motherboards that allow
you to set the mac address of the nic(s) to whatever you choose. Seems like a
rather poor idea, but...

Do you have one of those? Is the bios setting for that set to something
equivalent to "random"? If so, you could probably set a fixed mac address
there and solve the problem.

Old 11-19-2007, 05:48 PM
"Mikkel L. Ellertson"

Frank Cox wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 09:30:58 -0500
> Michael Wiktowy <michael.wiktowy@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Anyone else seeing this oddity that has an ASUS A7N8X mobo
>> with integrated NICs?
>
> I have recently heard of (but have never actually seen) motherboards that allow
> you to set the mac address of the nic(s) to whatever you choose. Seems like a
> rather poor idea, but...
>
> Do you have one of those? Is the bios setting for that set to something
> equivalent to "random"? If so, you could probably set a fixed mac address
> there and solve the problem.

You would be surprised at how many NICs, including the ones on the
motherboard, will allow you to change the MAC address. Most require
a utility program if you want to make a permanent change.
(re-writing the EEPROM.) Most of the NIC drivers, both Windows and
Linux, will let you make a temporary change. The main reason is to
let you replace a NIC in a machine that is identified by the MAC
address. (DHCP, router rules, etc.) It can also be used if you end
up with two NICs with the same MAC address. (This should not happen,
but sometimes does.) It also has other uses.

Mikkel

Old 11-20-2007, 10:30 AM
"Michael Wiktowy"

On Nov 19, 2007 1:23 PM, Frank Cox <theatre@sasktel.net> wrote:
> Do you have one of those? Is the bios setting for that set to something
> equivalent to "random"? If so, you could probably set a fixed mac address
> there and solve the problem.

I did check the BIOS and it is not controlled there. I have not found
a utility that will let me program my MAC.

It is possible that it broke at the same time that I was doing an
upgrade of OS and BIOS. Pretty coincidental though. I have not touched
my configuration since the beginning of F7.

/Mike