Old 09-02-2012, 07:42 PM
Thomas Cameron

Default Cheese webcam software - audio and video out of sync

I was just playing around with Cheese on my Lenovo T510 laptop. It's a
relatively fast laptop, with a pretty new i7 CPU and 8GB memory.

I noticed that, even at the lowest resolution possible, I get a bad
audtio delay. In other words, when I play back the video, my lips move
but the sound follows like three seconds later.

Anyone else seeing this? Any pointers? My Google-fu is weak today.

Thomas

Old 09-10-2012, 12:58 PM
Thomas Cameron

I was just playing around with Cheese on my Lenovo T510 laptop. It's a
relatively fast laptop, with a pretty new i7 CPU and 8GB memory.

I noticed that, even at the lowest resolution possible, I get a bad
audtio delay. In other words, when I play back the video, my lips move
but the sound follows like three seconds later.

Anyone else seeing this? Any pointers? My Google-fu is weak today.

Thomas

Bump? Does anyone even use Cheese? Is there some better tool for
capturing webcam stuff?

Old 09-10-2012, 01:46 PM
Michael Cronenworth

Sophie Sperner wrote:
> rpm -e --nodeps cheese cheese-libs

Please, do not recommend using the "--nodeps" option. The proper
procedure, if Thomas wanted to remove cheese, would be to call:

# yum remove cheese

Old 09-10-2012, 02:23 PM
Sophie Sperner

Agree in general, but I would recommend to developers make packages as more independent as possible.

Because '# yum remove cheese' does not remove 'cheese-libs' which if you want to remove by '# yum remove cheese-libs' you will just stuck because it will show you non-obvious dependencies which MUST not be as dependencies..

Old 09-10-2012, 02:33 PM
Michael Cronenworth

Sophie Sperner wrote:
[snip]
> Because '# yum remove cheese' does not remove 'cheese-libs' which if you
> want to remove by '# yum remove cheese-libs' you will just stuck because
> it will show you non-obvious dependencies which MUST not be as
> dependencies..

You may be interested to know there is a yum option to remove packages
that are no longer needed at the same time you remove its parent. Add
the following option to your yum.conf:

clean_requirements_on_remove=1

Old 09-10-2012, 08:39 PM
Thomas Cameron

That answer is so full of fail as to be nearly epic.

1) It does not answer the original question.
2) Any answer which includes "nodeps" without a really, really good
explanation of why is fail.
3) It doesn't answer the follow-on question about another tool for web
cam management.

4) Did I mention the nodeps thing? Fail.
5) It makes me think you don't get "yum" which is pretty much sysadmin
101 in Fedora-land.

6) Nodeps. Enough said.

On 10 September 2012 13:58, Thomas Cameron
<thomas.cameron@camerontech.com <mailto:thomas.cameron@camerontech.com>>

Old 09-11-2012, 02:17 PM
Bill Davidsen

Thomas Cameron wrote:

I was just playing around with Cheese on my Lenovo T510 laptop. It's a
relatively fast laptop, with a pretty new i7 CPU and 8GB memory.

I noticed that, even at the lowest resolution possible, I get a bad audtio
delay. In other words, when I play back the video, my lips move but the sound
follows like three seconds later.

Before getting too upset, try playing the video with other players like mplayer
or vlc. I have found that some recording formats and players don't work well,
can't give you a definitive why. I have recoded a number with ffmpeg to get
around this and get a format which works in more places.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>

Old 09-11-2012, 03:01 PM
Ian Malone

On 2 September 2012 20:42, Thomas Cameron
<thomas.cameron@camerontech.com> wrote:
> I was just playing around with Cheese on my Lenovo T510 laptop. It's a
> relatively fast laptop, with a pretty new i7 CPU and 8GB memory.
>
> I noticed that, even at the lowest resolution possible, I get a bad audtio
> delay. In other words, when I play back the video, my lips move but the
> sound follows like three seconds later.
>
> Anyone else seeing this? Any pointers? My Google-fu is weak today.

Which version of Fedora are you using? There are a number of cheese
bugs leading to terrible encoding performance that are only fixed in
F17, not F16.

--
imalone
http://ibmalone.blogspot.co.uk

Old 09-14-2012, 01:10 AM
Thomas Cameron

I was just playing around with Cheese on my Lenovo T510 laptop. It's a
relatively fast laptop, with a pretty new i7 CPU and 8GB memory.

I noticed that, even at the lowest resolution possible, I get a bad
audtio
delay. In other words, when I play back the video, my lips move but
the sound
follows like three seconds later.

Before getting too upset, try playing the video with other players like
mplayer or vlc. I have found that some recording formats and players
don't work well, can't give you a definitive why. I have recoded a
number with ffmpeg to get around this and get a format which works in
more places.

Yeah, tried with VLC, Totem and others, all with the same issues.

TC