-   -   Cheese webcam software - audio and video out of sync (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/699966-cheese-webcam-software-audio-video-out-sync.html)

Thomas Cameron 09-02-2012 07:42 PM

Cheese webcam software - audio and video out of sync

I was just playing around with Cheese on my Lenovo T510 laptop. It's a
relatively fast laptop, with a pretty new i7 CPU and 8GB memory.

I noticed that, even at the lowest resolution possible, I get a bad
audtio delay. In other words, when I play back the video, my lips move
but the sound follows like three seconds later.

Anyone else seeing this? Any pointers? My Google-fu is weak today.

Thomas

Thomas Cameron 09-10-2012 12:58 PM

Cheese webcam software - audio and video out of sync

I was just playing around with Cheese on my Lenovo T510 laptop. It's a
relatively fast laptop, with a pretty new i7 CPU and 8GB memory.

I noticed that, even at the lowest resolution possible, I get a bad
audtio delay. In other words, when I play back the video, my lips move
but the sound follows like three seconds later.

Anyone else seeing this? Any pointers? My Google-fu is weak today.

Thomas

Bump? Does anyone even use Cheese? Is there some better tool for
capturing webcam stuff?

Michael Cronenworth 09-10-2012 01:46 PM

Sophie Sperner wrote:
> rpm -e --nodeps cheese cheese-libs :)

Please, do not recommend using the "--nodeps" option. The proper
procedure, if Thomas wanted to remove cheese, would be to call:

# yum remove cheese

Sophie Sperner 09-10-2012 02:23 PM

Cheese webcam software - audio and video out of sync

Agree in general, but I would recommend to developers make packages as more independent as possible.

Because '# yum remove cheese' does not remove 'cheese-libs' which if you want to remove by '# yum remove cheese-libs' you will just stuck because it will show you non-obvious dependencies which MUST not be as dependencies..

Michael Cronenworth 09-10-2012 02:33 PM

Cheese webcam software - audio and video out of sync

Sophie Sperner wrote:
[snip]
> Because '# yum remove cheese' does not remove 'cheese-libs' which if you
> want to remove by '# yum remove cheese-libs' you will just stuck because
> it will show you non-obvious dependencies which MUST not be as
> dependencies..

You may be interested to know there is a yum option to remove packages
that are no longer needed at the same time you remove its parent. Add
the following option to your yum.conf:

clean_requirements_on_remove=1

Thomas Cameron 09-10-2012 08:39 PM

Cheese webcam software - audio and video out of sync

That answer is so full of fail as to be nearly epic.

1) It does not answer the original question.
2) Any answer which includes "nodeps" without a really, really good
explanation of why is fail.
3) It doesn't answer the follow-on question about another tool for web
cam management.

4) Did I mention the nodeps thing? Fail.
5) It makes me think you don't get "yum" which is pretty much sysadmin
101 in Fedora-land.

6) Nodeps. Enough said.

On 10 September 2012 13:58, Thomas Cameron
<thomas.cameron@camerontech.com <mailto:thomas.cameron@camerontech.com>>

Bill Davidsen 09-11-2012 02:17 PM

Thomas Cameron wrote:

I was just playing around with Cheese on my Lenovo T510 laptop. It's a
relatively fast laptop, with a pretty new i7 CPU and 8GB memory.

I noticed that, even at the lowest resolution possible, I get a bad audtio
delay. In other words, when I play back the video, my lips move but the sound
follows like three seconds later.

Before getting too upset, try playing the video with other players like mplayer
or vlc. I have found that some recording formats and players don't work well,
can't give you a definitive why. I have recoded a number with ffmpeg to get
around this and get a format which works in more places.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>

Ian Malone 09-11-2012 03:01 PM

Cheese webcam software - audio and video out of sync

On 2 September 2012 20:42, Thomas Cameron
<thomas.cameron@camerontech.com> wrote:
> I was just playing around with Cheese on my Lenovo T510 laptop. It's a
> relatively fast laptop, with a pretty new i7 CPU and 8GB memory.
>
> I noticed that, even at the lowest resolution possible, I get a bad audtio
> delay. In other words, when I play back the video, my lips move but the
> sound follows like three seconds later.
>
> Anyone else seeing this? Any pointers? My Google-fu is weak today.

Which version of Fedora are you using? There are a number of cheese
bugs leading to terrible encoding performance that are only fixed in
F17, not F16.

--
imalone
http://ibmalone.blogspot.co.uk

Thomas Cameron 09-14-2012 01:10 AM

Cheese webcam software - audio and video out of sync

I was just playing around with Cheese on my Lenovo T510 laptop. It's a
relatively fast laptop, with a pretty new i7 CPU and 8GB memory.

I noticed that, even at the lowest resolution possible, I get a bad
audtio
delay. In other words, when I play back the video, my lips move but
the sound
follows like three seconds later.

Before getting too upset, try playing the video with other players like
mplayer or vlc. I have found that some recording formats and players
don't work well, can't give you a definitive why. I have recoded a
number with ffmpeg to get around this and get a format which works in
more places.

Yeah, tried with VLC, Totem and others, all with the same issues.

TC