Old 09-01-2012, 07:20 PM
Joe Zeff

Default Fedora NTFS-3G happily writes files with invalid chars in filename?

On 09/01/2012 11:28 AM, Fernando Cassia wrote:

Now I connect the external usb NTFS-formatted drive to my old xpsp3
running netbook and stumble upon a file (a folder actually under
.cachevlcartartistalbumThe RaptureHow Deep is Your Love?
that ABSOLUTELY canŽt be removed from WinXP, as windows thinks
question marks are an "invalid character" in a file or folder name.

Of course it's an invalid character for XP, just as it is for Linux.
The question mark is a wildcard, used to represent one unknown
character, just as an asterisk is used to represent any number of
unknown characters. Thus, test?.txt will match test1.txt or test2.txt
but not test12.txt. Have you tried putting quotation marks around the
name to keep it from being expanded?

Old 09-01-2012, 07:27 PM
Fernando Cassia

On Sat, Sep 1, 2012 at 4:20 PM, Joe Zeff <joe@zeff.us> wrote:
> Have you tried putting quotation marks around the name to keep it from being
> expanded?

Yes, tried everything... wildcards, enclosing it, rename first, move,
rename with wildcards.... nothing works. :-(

And IŽm afraid of running CHKDSK because I have tons of stuff there
not backed up, and it wouldnŽt be the first time that CHKDSK decides
"oh, thereŽs a lot of invalid dirs in there, IŽll now happily lose
your data by mangling folder names and destroying the folders layout
while claiming to fix things". ;-)

FC