Old 08-30-2012, 11:34 PM
jdow

Default Failure to acquire IP over DHCP

On 2012/08/30 13:19, Dale Dellutri wrote:

On Thu, Aug 30, 2012 at 2:50 PM, Suvayu Ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com> wrote:

On Thu, Aug 30, 2012 at 09:11:01PM +0200, Suvayu Ali wrote:

On Thu, Aug 30, 2012 at 11:25:47AM -0500, Dale Dellutri wrote:

Could you post the output of two commands:
# ip addr show
# ip route show

Do it for each of the two cases:
1. When you cannot access the internet (and you get the internal IP
192.168.0.114)
2. When you can access the internet (you say that everything works
when you use
any other wall outlet).

At the moment I can't provide that for both; for case (2), when
everything works on another outlet I get the following:

<http://pastebin.com/fF5eSp7n>

This is the output for case (1), when it doesn't work:

<http://pastebin.com/DVZNuNkB>

These two pastebins show that the "wall outlet" that doesn't work (case 1)
is specialized to only allow access the 192.168.0.0/24 lan. It's probably
connected to a different switch (or different VLAN) than the ones that do
work (case 2).

There's no mystery unless you think that the network administrators
have made some kind of mistake. It looks like a policy decision.

It could even be a misconfigured managed switch directing his connection
to a wrong place.

I did notice his machine is asking for a 192.168.0.x address, perhaps
renewing his home address. Other laptops might not do that so they work.
(They might be asking for an address in the 128.141.x.x range, get denied
and get an address in the 137.138.x.x range from the second dhcp server.)

He may have unconvered two bugs at once. One is an unauthorized wireless
network somebody has connected in his office. The second is a switch that
is routing his office to the 137.138 net rather than the 128.141 net. Or
they may use a dhcp server that happens to be on the 137.138 net to serve
both the 137.138 net and the 128.141 net. They DO both route the same
here all the way through the same address: e513-e-rbrxl-2-ne0.cern.ch
That would mean the 137.141 offer might be an artifact rather than
meaningful data. That still leaves the likely unauthorized server on the
192.168.0 net.

I'd provide the fellow who is helping you with those chunks of data and
see if they are enough clues for him.

{^_^}

Old 08-30-2012, 11:50 PM
Suvayu Ali

Hi Dale and jdow,

On Thu, Aug 30, 2012 at 04:34:06PM -0700, jdow wrote:

> >>This is the output for case (1), when it doesn't work:
> >>
> >><http://pastebin.com/DVZNuNkB>
> >
> >These two pastebins show that the "wall outlet" that doesn't work (case 1)
> >is specialized to only allow access the 192.168.0.0/24 lan. It's probably
> >connected to a different switch (or different VLAN) than the ones that do
> >work (case 2).
> >
> >There's no mystery unless you think that the network administrators
> >have made some kind of mistake. It looks like a policy decision.
>
> It could even be a misconfigured managed switch directing his connection
> to a wrong place.
>
> I did notice his machine is asking for a 192.168.0.x address, perhaps
> renewing his home address. Other laptops might not do that so they work.
> (They might be asking for an address in the 128.141.x.x range, get denied
> and get an address in the 137.138.x.x range from the second dhcp server.)
>
> He may have unconvered two bugs at once. One is an unauthorized wireless
> network somebody has connected in his office. The second is a switch that
> is routing his office to the 137.138 net rather than the 128.141 net. Or
> they may use a dhcp server that happens to be on the 137.138 net to serve
> both the 137.138 net and the 128.141 net. They DO both route the same
> here all the way through the same address: e513-e-rbrxl-2-ne0.cern.ch
> That would mean the 137.141 offer might be an artifact rather than
> meaningful data. That still leaves the likely unauthorized server on the
> 192.168.0 net.
>
> I'd provide the fellow who is helping you with those chunks of data and
> see if they are enough clues for him.

Thanks a lot for the hints. I'm meeting the admin in person tomorrow,
these comments will surely be useful.

Cheers,

--
Suvayu

Old 08-31-2012, 01:26 PM
Suvayu Ali

On Fri, Aug 31, 2012 at 01:50:04AM +0200, Suvayu Ali wrote:

> Thanks a lot for the hints. I'm meeting the admin in person tomorrow,
> these comments will surely be useful.

This is just to update the list, the problem is indeed someone not
following the regulations. As you can see from the output below,
someone is running an entire (unapproved) network in their office.
Probably they want WiFi since the official WiFi is pretty weak in our
building.

In the output below, 192.168.0.114 is the IP my laptop gets assigned.

# nmap -sn 192.168.0.0-255

Starting Nmap 6.01 ( http://nmap.org ) at 2012-08-31 14:40 CEST
Nmap scan report for 192.168.0.1
Host is up (0.00066s latency).
MAC Address: C8:3A:35:5E:E3:90 (Tenda Technology Co.)
Nmap scan report for 192.168.0.100
Host is up (0.33s latency).
MAC Address: 88:30:8A:36:A9:2A (Murata Manufactuaring Co.)
Nmap scan report for 192.168.0.104
Host is up (0.015s latency).
MAC Address: 98:0C:82:64:FE:1B (Samsung Electro Mechanics)
Nmap scan report for 192.168.0.114
Host is up.
Nmap scan report for 192.168.0.118
Host is up (0.14s latency).
MAC Address: 90:4C:E5:56:BF:03 (Hon Hai Precision Ind. Co.)
Nmap scan report for 192.168.0.129
Host is up (0.060s latency).
MAC Address: A8:269:36:A6:1A (HTC)
Nmap scan report for 192.168.0.196
Host is up (0.43s latency).
MAC Address: 38:161:83:46:B2 (Samsung Electronics Co.)
Nmap done: 256 IP addresses (7 hosts up) scanned in 63.80 seconds

Thanks for all the pointers and discussion. It was quite educational
for me.

Cheers,

--
Suvayu

Old 08-31-2012, 09:16 PM
jdow

Thanks a lot for the hints. I'm meeting the admin in person tomorrow,
these comments will surely be useful.

This is just to update the list, the problem is indeed someone not
following the regulations. As you can see from the output below,
someone is running an entire (unapproved) network in their office.
Probably they want WiFi since the official WiFi is pretty weak in our
building.

It would be interesting to find what they do with the illegal network.
Such things are security holes IT people tend to dislike violently.

{^_-}

Old 09-08-2012, 08:31 PM
"Eddie G. O'Connor Jr."