Old 04-15-2008, 12:49 AM
Jim

Default Problems with Intel Sound

FC8- i386
Having problem with Intel Sound and Modem drivers.
Sound will work if I do a sound test in KDE control center but it won't
play sound on Flash videos.
I noticed that sound and PCM is up in Kmix, but checking Alsamixer sound
is up but it doesn't show any PCM in ALSA.
In /etc/modprobe it showing conflicts with the Modem driver HSF
Modem-7.68.00.07 that I compiled.

below is modprobe.conf and lspci for Sound card.

00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801AA AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 02)
Subsystem: Gateway 2000 Unknown device 0012
I/O ports at e400 [size=256]
I/O ports at e080 [size=64]
Kernel driver in use: Intel ICH
Kernel modules: snd-intel8x0

alias snd-card-0 snd-intel8x0
options snd-card-0 index=0
options snd-intel8x0 index=0
alias eth0 3c59x
install snd-via82xx-modem /bin/true # temporarily disabled by hsf - conflicts with hsfmc97via
install snd-intel8x0m /bin/true # temporarily disabled by hsf - conflicts with hsfmc97ich hsfmc97sis
install snd-atiixp-modem /bin/true # temporarily disabled by hsf - conflicts with hsfmc97ati
alias /dev/ttySHSF[0-9]* /dev/ttySHSF
alias /dev/modem /dev/ttySHSF
alias char-major-240 /dev/ttySHSF
alias char-major-240-* /dev/ttySHSF
options hsfserial serialmajor=240
alias char-major-242 hsfosspec
alias char-major-242-* hsfosspec
alias /dev/hsfdiag hsfosspec
alias /dev/hsfdiag* /dev/hsfdiag
alias char-major-243 /dev/hsfdiag
alias char-major-243-* /dev/hsfdiag
options hsfosspec dcpmajor=242 diagmajor=243
install /dev/ttySHSF /sbin/modprobe hsfpcibasic2; /sbin/modprobe hsfpcibasic3; /sbin/modprobe hsfmc97ich; /sbin/modprobe hsfmc97via; /sbin/modprobe hsfmc97ali; /sbin/modprobe hsfmc97ati; /sbin/modprobe hsfmc97sis; [ -e /lib/modules/`uname -r`/extra/hsfusbcd2.ko ] && /sbin/modprobe hsfusbcd2; /sbin/modprobe snd_hda_intel; /bin/true
alias symbol:cnxthwhda_probe hsfhda
alias symbol:cnxthwhda_resume hsfhda
alias symbol:cnxthwhda_suspend hsfhda

Old 04-19-2008, 07:35 PM
Bill Davidsen

Jim wrote:

FC8- i386
Having problem with Intel Sound and Modem drivers.
Sound will work if I do a sound test in KDE control center but it won't
play sound on Flash videos.
I noticed that sound and PCM is up in Kmix, but checking Alsamixer sound
is up but it doesn't show any PCM in ALSA.
In /etc/modprobe it showing conflicts with the Modem driver HSF
Modem-7.68.00.07 that I compiled.

below is modprobe.conf and lspci for Sound card.

You should ask the vendor for the hsf sound card how to configure it.
You are calling it a modem, but it seems to be doing a good job of
pretending to be sound. :-(

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>

Old 04-19-2008, 07:55 PM
Les

This happened on my Wife's system. (note the capital W I know who fixes
the food ;-)) I finally just uninstalled pulse audio and things went
back to normal.

Regards,