-   -   F8: Mozilla plugins (flash and mplayer) don't work (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/693-f8-mozilla-plugins-flash-mplayer-dont-work.html)

"Paul Johnson" 11-19-2007 05:14 PM

On Nov 15, 2007 11:46 AM, Frank Cox <theatre@sasktel.net> wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 10:36:48 -0200
> André Costa <blueser@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > My problem now is Mozilla plugins:
>
> Do all of your plugins show up under about:plugins ?
>
> On this x86_64 machine I had to create symbolic links from the files
> in /usr/lib64/mozilla/plugins/ to ~/.mozilla/plugins before they would show up.
>
> I just tried watching a trailer on apple.com and it worked.

I got fed up wrestling with this and removed firefox-x86_64. The i386
version works with the plugins, no trouble, plus I got Java support.

What benefit flows from using the x86_64 firefox?

--
Paul E. Johnson
Professor, Political Science

"André Costa" 11-19-2007 06:11 PM

F8: Mozilla plugins (flash and mplayer) don't work

Hi Paul,

On Nov 19, 2007 4:14 PM, Paul Johnson <pauljohn32@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Nov 15, 2007 11:46 AM, Frank Cox <theatre@sasktel.net> wrote:
> > On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 10:36:48 -0200
> > André Costa <blueser@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > My problem now is Mozilla plugins:
> >
> > Do all of your plugins show up under about:plugins ?
> >
> > On this x86_64 machine I had to create symbolic links from the files
> > in /usr/lib64/mozilla/plugins/ to ~/.mozilla/plugins before they would show up.
> >
> > I just tried watching a trailer on apple.com and it worked.
> >
> > --
> > MELVILLE THEATRE ~ Melville Sask ~ http://www.melvilletheatre.com
> >

> I got fed up wrestling with this and removed firefox-x86_64. The i386
> version works with the plugins, no trouble, plus I got Java support.
>
> What benefit flows from using the x86_64 firefox?

This is pretty much what I've done, too. Damn Adobe and Sun for not
providing 64bit versions of their plugins (Java also doesn't work with
firefox-64), and Apple for not providing QuickTime at all.

The main difference is that I kept x86_64 version around so that I
don't need to remove yelp (which depends on it). This is only possible
if you install firefox-32, which provides a convenient way of starting
the 32bit version (you will need to modify gnome-panel's applet
accordingly, and also preferred browser setting).

HTH

Andre

"Christopher A. Williams" 11-19-2007 10:51 PM

On Mon, 2007-11-19 at 17:11 -0200, André Costa wrote:
> Hi Paul,
>
> On Nov 19, 2007 4:14 PM, Paul Johnson <pauljohn32@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Nov 15, 2007 11:46 AM, Frank Cox <theatre@sasktel.net> wrote:

> > > Do all of your plugins show up under about:plugins ?
> > >
> > > On this x86_64 machine I had to create symbolic links from the files
> > > in /usr/lib64/mozilla/plugins/ to ~/.mozilla/plugins before they would show up.
> > >
> > > I just tried watching a trailer on apple.com and it worked.
> > >
> > > --
> > > MELVILLE THEATRE ~ Melville Sask ~ http://www.melvilletheatre.com
> > >

> > I got fed up wrestling with this and removed firefox-x86_64. The i386
> > version works with the plugins, no trouble, plus I got Java support.
> >
> > What benefit flows from using the x86_64 firefox?
>
> This is pretty much what I've done, too. Damn Adobe and Sun for not
> providing 64bit versions of their plugins (Java also doesn't work with
> firefox-64), and Apple for not providing QuickTime at all.
>
> The main difference is that I kept x86_64 version around so that I
> don't need to remove yelp (which depends on it). This is only possible
> if you install firefox-32, which provides a convenient way of starting
> the 32bit version (you will need to modify gnome-panel's applet
> accordingly, and also preferred browser setting).

It doesn't seem to be very well advertised, but there is a simple way to
get 64-bit Firefox and 32-bit plugins - including Adobe and Flash - to
run together.

You need to configure nspluginwrapper, which is included by default.
Specifically, do the following:

Install 32-bit plugins as normal
run the command mozilla-plugin-config -i -g -v

After doing this, I have both Flash and Adobe running quite nicely with
F8 x86_64 on my laptop, as well as a few other things.

By the way, you can find this info in the F8 release notes under section
10.3.1 Enabling the Flash Plugin.

...but who actually reads this stuff? :) I know I didn't and struggled
for days as a result.

Cheers,

Chris

Peter Gordon 11-20-2007 01:24 AM

F8: Mozilla plugins (flash and mplayer) don't work

For fun, I decided to test Adobe's Flash plugin over the weekend on my
F8/x86_64 machine, and had to do the following to get it to work
properly.

Step 1: Go to their website [1] and download and install the repository
definition RPM.

Step 2: Install the flash plugin. ("yum install flash-plugin" as root).

Step 3: Remove and reinstall all nspluginwrapper and libflashsupport
packages.
# rpm --erase --nodeps nspluginwrapper.i386 nspluginwrapper.x86_64
# yum install nspluginwrapper

(When you re-install it, be sure that _both_ i386 and x86_64 packages
are being installed. It requires both components to function properly.)

Step 4: If you're using PulseAudio (default on Fedora 8+), you will need
to install the libflashsupport packages (again, both x86_64 and i386
incarnations, AFAIK) if they are not already installed. I believe they
were installed by default, but I don't remember for certain.

Step 5: Close all browser sessions (Firefox, Epiphany, Galeon, etc.) and
restart your browser(s). You should then see the plugin in
about:plugins, and YouTube/H*R/etc. should Just Work(tm).

That was just for testing purposes, mind you; I no longer use the plugin
since swfdec works just as well for YouTube (which is the only
Flash-intensive site I visit regularly).

Hope that helps.
--
Peter Gordon (codergeek42)
DD68 A414 56BD 6368 D957 9666 4268 CB7A FFC1 9479

Frank Cox 11-20-2007 01:30 AM

F8: Mozilla plugins (flash and mplayer) don't work

On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 18:24:29 -0800
Peter Gordon <peter@thecodergeek.com> wrote:

> That was just for testing purposes, mind you; I no longer use the plugin
> since swfdec works just as well for YouTube (which is the only
> Flash-intensive site I visit regularly).

Can anyone offer a comparison of swfdec and gnash? Which one is better? Can
they both be used at the same time, or would their be any point in that?

"André Costa" 11-20-2007 10:02 AM

F8: Mozilla plugins (flash and mplayer) don't work

Hi Christopher,

On Nov 19, 2007 9:51 PM, Christopher A. Williams <fedoralists@cawllc.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 2007-11-19 at 17:11 -0200, André Costa wrote:
> > Hi Paul,

> > > I got fed up wrestling with this and removed firefox-x86_64. The i386
> > > version works with the plugins, no trouble, plus I got Java support.
> > >
> > > What benefit flows from using the x86_64 firefox?
> >
> > This is pretty much what I've done, too. Damn Adobe and Sun for not
> > providing 64bit versions of their plugins (Java also doesn't work with
> > firefox-64), and Apple for not providing QuickTime at all.
> >
> > The main difference is that I kept x86_64 version around so that I
> > don't need to remove yelp (which depends on it). This is only possible
> > if you install firefox-32, which provides a convenient way of starting
> > the 32bit version (you will need to modify gnome-panel's applet
> > accordingly, and also preferred browser setting).
>
> It doesn't seem to be very well advertised, but there is a simple way to
> get 64-bit Firefox and 32-bit plugins - including Adobe and Flash - to
> run together.
>
> You need to configure nspluginwrapper, which is included by default.
> Specifically, do the following:
>
> Install 32-bit plugins as normal
> run the command mozilla-plugin-config -i -g -v
>
> After doing this, I have both Flash and Adobe running quite nicely with
> F8 x86_64 on my laptop, as well as a few other things.
>
> By the way, you can find this info in the F8 release notes under section
> 10.3.1 Enabling the Flash Plugin.
>
> ...but who actually reads this stuff? :) I know I didn't and struggled
> for days as a result.

Yes, there is nspluginwrapper, and I've used it successfully with F7,
but for some reason it did not work for me (YMMV) with F8 (see my OP
-- Flash did not work, and neither did mplayer plugin, and I even
posted the output of mozilla-plugin-config). This forced me to forget
firefox-64. It sucks big time, but... =/

Regards,

Andre

"André Costa" 11-20-2007 10:02 AM