Old 04-14-2008, 02:10 AM
Bill Davidsen

Default Cursive script fonts

I could really use some readable cursive fonts, preferably the same
font(s) for gimp and OpenOffice. Does anyone have a good pointer?

And can I just drop a font in the font directory, or need I "install"
it? I have some fonts in OO-1.0 from RH-8(KRUD release) which aren't in
the new versions.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>

Old 04-14-2008, 03:24 AM
Da Rock

On Sun, 2008-04-13 at 22:10 -0400, Bill Davidsen wrote:
> I could really use some readable cursive fonts, preferably the same
> font(s) for gimp and OpenOffice. Does anyone have a good pointer?
>
> And can I just drop a font in the font directory, or need I "install"
> it? I have some fonts in OO-1.0 from RH-8(KRUD release) which aren't in
> the new versions.

This has come up before. Try the URW fonts, and failing that just
download the TTF's and put them in your ~/.font folder. Apparently the
programs will pick them up.

HTH

Old 04-14-2008, 04:45 AM
"Chris Mohler"

On Sun, Apr 13, 2008 at 9:10 PM, Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com> wrote:
> I could really use some readable cursive fonts, preferably the same font(s)
> for gimp and OpenOffice. Does anyone have a good pointer?

Depends on what you mean by 'cursive' and 'readable' There are a
lot of fonts on dafont.com that are free, and many more that are free
for personal use. Of course there are a *lot* of bad fonts to sort
through on that site. The 'Handwritten' section contains what I would
call cursive fonts and while most are not extremely readable, some are
quite nice.

Dropping into ~/.fonts is a good idea, and there is also a font
manager in F8 - fontypython - that essentially creates symlinks from
whatever font files you specify to your ~/.fonts dir on demand. It
isn't in F9 yet b/c I'm extremely busy and haven't repackaged it yet

Chris

Old 04-14-2008, 05:01 AM
Bruce Byfield

On Mon, 2008-04-14 at 13:24 +1000, Da Rock wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-04-13 at 22:10 -0400, Bill Davidsen wrote:
> > I could really use some readable cursive fonts, preferably the same
> > font(s) for gimp and OpenOffice. Does anyone have a good pointer?
> >
> > And can I just drop a font in the font directory, or need I "install"
> > it? I have some fonts in OO-1.0 from RH-8(KRUD release) which aren't in
> > the new versions.

Have a look at the Open Font Library selections:

http://openfontlibrary.org/media/view/media/fonts

If you want to install your fonts so they're available to all your
applications, then you can install them via the KDE font installer. You
might also look up Fonty Python or FontMatrix as alternative installers.
FontMatrix is especially good.
--
Bruce Byfield 604-421-7177
Burnaby, BC, Canada

Old 04-14-2008, 04:28 PM
Bill Davidsen

Bill Davidsen wrote:
I could really use some readable cursive fonts, preferably the same
font(s) for gimp and OpenOffice. Does anyone have a good pointer?

And can I just drop a font in the font directory, or need I "install"
it? I have some fonts in OO-1.0 from RH-8(KRUD release) which aren't in
the new versions.

Thanks to all for the pointers, I'll start evaluating "readable" over
the next week or so. And I'll grab the fonts I like from OO-1.0 and move
them. Time to create a /common/fonts directory in my site shared common
tools and configuration.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>