Old 08-03-2012, 07:58 PM
Dave Burns

Default how to run install from tty/command line?

When I boot from the fc17 install DVD, I am not able to get the
installer to run in gui or text mode. But I can log in as root by
hitting ctl-alt-f3. Is there a way to run the installer from there?
mahalo,
TDB

Old 08-03-2012, 08:46 PM
Dave Burns

Thanks for your response.

On Fri, Aug 3, 2012 at 10:10 AM, Jack Craig <jack.craig.aptos@gmail.com> wrote:
> i used live-creator to put a boot image on a usb thumb drive; worked
> great...

I have access to an image. I am able to boot it. Switching to a thumb
drive seems unlikely to improve things, since my problem seems to be
that the installer does not like my graphics, which is a really old
thing integrated into the motherboard of this old server. The
installer boots but will only let me talk to to it from the tty. So my
question is, can I continue installing from the tty?

In case its still not clear, here's what I did:

* I put in the disk and boot.
* see bios screen
* see fedora 17 screen
* hit esc, see output from many daemons starting apparently with success
* screen displays "analog input cannot display this video mode"
(maybe x or gconfd is starting?)
* I hit ctl-alt f3 and am able to log in as root with no password.
* I google the error message, get so many hits, none seem relevant.
all about fc3, fc7.
* narrow down google search to fc17, 2 irrelevant hits
* write desperate emails to fedora users list

I need advice showing me either 1) how to fix X and get the gui
installer visible or 2) proceed with install from command line or 3)
reboot & start installer in text mode.

I've done text mode on previous versions of fedora, but when I follow
the directions in the fc17 install guide, I can't seem to find the
right magic. It says to type in "linux text" at the boot prompt. Error
message is "Could not find kernel image: linux". Maybe that's not
really the boot prompt? Maybe the guide is not telling me everything I
need to type in to the prompt?

Anyhow, thumb drive seems unlikely to help.
Thanks anyhow.

TDB

> On Fri, Aug 3, 2012 at 12:58 PM, Dave Burns <tburns@hawaii.edu> wrote:
>>
>> When I boot from the fc17 install DVD, I am not able to get the
>> installer to run in gui or text mode. But I can log in as root by
>> hitting ctl-alt-f3. Is there a way to run the installer from there?
>> mahalo,
>> TDB
>> --

Q: Why should this email be 5 sentences or less?
A: http://five.sentenc.es
IPRC-help FAQ: https://docs.google.com/a/hawaii.edu/document/d/1RAeijiOXg2BxFuQ_tJejljH9r5GdNDc0DktI9k1j0jU/edit

Old 08-03-2012, 09:03 PM
Rick Stevens

On 08/03/2012 01:46 PM, Dave Burns issued this missive::

Thanks for your response.

i used live-creator to put a boot image on a usb thumb drive; worked
great...

I have access to an image. I am able to boot it. Switching to a thumb
drive seems unlikely to improve things, since my problem seems to be
that the installer does not like my graphics, which is a really old
thing integrated into the motherboard of this old server. The
installer boots but will only let me talk to to it from the tty. So my
question is, can I continue installing from the tty?

In case its still not clear, here's what I did:

* I put in the disk and boot.
* see bios screen
* see fedora 17 screen
* hit esc, see output from many daemons starting apparently with success
* screen displays "analog input cannot display this video mode"
(maybe x or gconfd is starting?)

That's usually your monitor being unable to handle the signal being sent
by the video card. My guess is that the video card is fine but your
monitor can't handle the resolution being decided.

* I hit ctl-alt f3 and am able to log in as root with no password.
* I google the error message, get so many hits, none seem relevant.
all about fc3, fc7.
* narrow down google search to fc17, 2 irrelevant hits
* write desperate emails to fedora users list

I need advice showing me either 1) how to fix X and get the gui
installer visible or 2) proceed with install from command line or 3)
reboot & start installer in text mode.

I've done text mode on previous versions of fedora, but when I follow
the directions in the fc17 install guide, I can't seem to find the
right magic. It says to type in "linux text" at the boot prompt. Error
message is "Could not find kernel image: linux". Maybe that's not
really the boot prompt? Maybe the guide is not telling me everything I
need to type in to the prompt?

When the "Install or upgrade" thing is highlighted after booting the
DVD, hit the ENTER key, wait a couple of seconds and hit the escape
key. You should be presented with a "boot:" prompt at which you can
enter "linux text". Or you can try with a lower resolution screen by
using "linux resolution=1024x768" or something. Try looking at this
link:

http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/17/html/Installation_Guide/ap-admin-options.html

Old 08-03-2012, 09:15 PM
Dave Burns

On Fri, Aug 3, 2012 at 11:03 AM, Rick Stevens <ricks@alldigital.com> wrote:
> On 08/03/2012 01:46 PM, Dave Burns issued this missive::
>
>> Thanks for your response.
>>
>> On Fri, Aug 3, 2012 at 10:10 AM, Jack Craig <jack.craig.aptos@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> i used live-creator to put a boot image on a usb thumb drive; worked
>>> great...
>>

>> I have access to an image. I am able to boot it. Switching to a thumb
>> drive seems unlikely to improve things, since my problem seems to be
>> that the installer does not like my graphics, which is a really old
>> thing integrated into the motherboard of this old server. The
>> installer boots but will only let me talk to to it from the tty. So my
>> question is, can I continue installing from the tty?
>>
>> In case its still not clear, here's what I did:
>>
>> * I put in the disk and boot.
>> * see bios screen
>> * see fedora 17 screen
>> * hit esc, see output from many daemons starting apparently with success
>> * screen displays "analog input cannot display this video mode"
>> (maybe x or gconfd is starting?)
>

> That's usually your monitor being unable to handle the signal being sent
> by the video card. My guess is that the video card is fine but your
> monitor can't handle the resolution being decided.

Is there a way to tweak that from the command line?

>> * I hit ctl-alt f3 and am able to log in as root with no password.
>> * I google the error message, get so many hits, none seem relevant.
>> all about fc3, fc7.
>> * narrow down google search to fc17, 2 irrelevant hits
>> * write desperate emails to fedora users list
>>
>> I need advice showing me either 1) how to fix X and get the gui
>> installer visible or 2) proceed with install from command line or 3)
>> reboot & start installer in text mode.
>>
>> I've done text mode on previous versions of fedora, but when I follow
>> the directions in the fc17 install guide, I can't seem to find the
>> right magic. It says to type in "linux text" at the boot prompt. Error
>> message is "Could not find kernel image: linux". Maybe that's not
>> really the boot prompt? Maybe the guide is not telling me everything I
>> need to type in to the prompt?
>

> When the "Install or upgrade" thing is highlighted after booting the
> DVD, hit the ENTER key, wait a couple of seconds and hit the escape
> key. You should be presented with a "boot:" prompt

Output is:
"Aborted.
boot:"

>at which you can
> enter "linux text".

At that point it replies "Could not find kernel image: linux". What?
TDB

A: http://five.sentenc.es
IPRC-help FAQ: https://docs.google.com/a/hawaii.edu/document/d/1RAeijiOXg2BxFuQ_tJejljH9r5GdNDc0DktI9k1j0jU/edit

Old 08-03-2012, 09:22 PM
Rick Stevens

On 08/03/2012 02:15 PM, Dave Burns issued this missive::

[...]

Ok, so either just enter "text" or try booting the DVD again. When the
"Install or upgrade" thing is highlighted, hit the TAB key. When the

command line displays, add "text" to the end and hit the ENTER key.

Old 08-03-2012, 11:43 PM
Dave Burns

On Fri, Aug 3, 2012 at 11:22 AM, Rick Stevens <ricks@alldigital.com> wrote:
> On 08/03/2012 02:15 PM, Dave Burns issued this missive::
>
>> On Fri, Aug 3, 2012 at 11:03 AM, Rick Stevens <ricks@alldigital.com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> On 08/03/2012 01:46 PM, Dave Burns issued this missive::

>>> That's usually your monitor being unable to handle the signal being sent
>>> by the video card. My guess is that the video card is fine but your
>>> monitor can't handle the resolution being decided.
>>

>> Is there a way to tweak that from the command line?

>>> When the "Install or upgrade" thing is highlighted after booting the
>>> DVD, hit the ENTER key, wait a couple of seconds and hit the escape
>>> key. You should be presented with a "boot:" prompt
>>

>> Output is:
>> "Aborted.
>> boot:"
>>
>>> at which you can
>>> enter "linux text".
>>

>> At that point it replies "Could not find kernel image: linux". What?
>

> Ok, so either just enter "text" or try booting the DVD again. When the
> "Install or upgrade" thing is highlighted, hit the TAB key. When the
> command line displays, add "text" to the end and hit the ENTER key.

It responds the same as if I had not typed 'text' at the end of the
line. It starts many services, last one is display manager, then full
screen error message reports "analog input cannot display this video
mode". This is one of the first things I tried (and I tried it again
just now to be sure).

A: http://five.sentenc.es
IPRC-help FAQ: https://docs.google.com/a/hawaii.edu/document/d/1RAeijiOXg2BxFuQ_tJejljH9r5GdNDc0DktI9k1j0jU/edit