Old 08-03-2012, 08:50 AM
Clemens Eisserer

Default How to install language-packs after installation?

Hi,

I currently try to install german langpacks to a fresh F17, but - even
if this should be a really simple task - failed so far:
- system-config-language relies on a feature no longer present, to
install language-packages
- yum langpacks plugin only applies, when installing new packages

Is there any way to tell the yum langpacks plugin to fetch language
packages for already installed RPMs?
Or is there maybe an easier way to add support for an additional
language after installation?

Thank you in advance, Clemens

Old 08-03-2012, 10:30 AM
Ed Greshko

On 08/03/2012 04:50 PM, Clemens Eisserer wrote:
> I currently try to install german langpacks to a fresh F17, but - even
> if this should be a really simple task - failed so far:
> - system-config-language relies on a feature no longer present, to
> install language-packages
> - yum langpacks plugin only applies, when installing new packages
>
> Is there any way to tell the yum langpacks plugin to fetch language
> packages for already installed RPMs?
> Or is there maybe an easier way to add support for an additional
> language after installation?

I have a freshly installed F17 system with both GNOME and KDE installed.

If I run system-config-language it brings up a selection of languages if I choose German it tells me the selection honored on my next login.

If I login under GNOME it get LANG=de_DE.UTF-8 as an environment variable, the menus and such are in German and I'm prompted if I want to change the names of the "default" folders

In KDE the environment variable is change, the language is not changed in the displays. To "fix" KDE one needs to install kde-l10n-German.

Mine is a fresh F17 install. When installing I only added Japanese, Korean, Simplified and Traditional Chinese.

Old 08-03-2012, 03:09 PM
Jack Craig

when i pulled (by mistake) all the LIbreOffice pkgs via yum i got a ton of different language support for aspell, etc.

not sure if it provides what you need, but fyi regardless...

HTH, ..