Old 08-04-2012, 09:09 AM
Michael Schwendt

Default kernel-headers downgrade failure

On Fri, 03 Aug 2012 15:16:31 +0200, Reindl Harald wrote:

> my point was that i am testing many fedora-packages often long
> before updates-testing is seeing them and it doe snot help
> much if maintainers say "hm bugreport, however i push to stable"
>
> and YES the 3.5.x currently in F17 stable is a problem
> 3.4.7 for F16 is a security update
>
> so until someone knows what is going wrong in 3.5 the
> right decision would have been build 3.4.7 for F17 too
> instead psuh blindly 3.5 out - and after such decisions
> someone is wondering why people start ranting?

Ranting alone isn't helpful. While it may be that somebody reads your
messages, it could be more productive to talk to Fedora QA and find out
what they think about the issue --> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA

If you can hold your horses, you might even try to mail Adam Williamson
privately.

--
Fedora release 17 (Beefy Miracle) - Linux 3.5.0-2.fc17.x86_64
loadavg: 0.32 0.33 0.23

Old 08-04-2012, 11:14 AM
"Jared K. Smith"

On Fri, Aug 3, 2012 at 9:16 AM, Reindl Harald <h.reindl@thelounge.net> wrote:
> so until someone knows what is going wrong in 3.5 the
> right decision would have been build 3.4.7 for F17 too
> instead psuh blindly 3.5 out - and after such decisions
> someone is wondering why people start ranting?

If there's one thing I know, it's that new kernels aren't pushed out
blindly. If anything, I think our kernel team is doing a great job of
being open about what they're working on, when they're planning on
pushing out a new kernel, and looking at user feedback. They even
have (bi-weekly, if I remember correctly) IRC meetings to reach out to
more people for feedback. It makes me wonder whether or not you
follow what they're doing, or are just assuming that they pushed 3.5
out blindly, to use your words.

Also, let me once again point out that ranting won't get you very far
here. If you have a problem with the kernel, kindly try to get in
touch with one of the kernel developers and then exercise some
patience while they work to resolve the issue. Remember -- people
work in Fedora because they're passionate about it. Ranting in the
users list typically doesn't make them any more passionate about
solving your problem, and frankly, often causes the exact opposite
reaction.

--
Jared Smith

Old 08-04-2012, 11:42 AM
Reindl Harald

Am 04.08.2012 13:14, schrieb Jared K. Smith:
> On Fri, Aug 3, 2012 at 9:16 AM, Reindl Harald <h.reindl@thelounge.net> wrote:
>> so until someone knows what is going wrong in 3.5 the
>> right decision would have been build 3.4.7 for F17 too
>> instead psuh blindly 3.5 out - and after such decisions
>> someone is wondering why people start ranting?
>
> If there's one thing I know, it's that new kernels aren't pushed out
> blindly.

how else is it explained that there is a bugreport and the reaction of
the kernel-maintainer is "not my component", re-assigns it and
pushs the kernel to stable

and even if it is the intel-driver and not the kernel-package
this is a DISTRIBUTION and as long nobody could figure out
what is going wrong 3.4.7 is the way to go

> If anything, I think our kernel team is doing a great job of
> being open about what they're working on, when they're planning on
> pushing out a new kernel, and looking at user feedback.

this is all fine but if there is a report that update
from 3.4 to 3.5 breaks boot all this does not help you

same happended with 3.3 where one single configure flag
made the difference and we had over weeks creaping boot
and partly completly unsuccessful

> Also, let me once again point out that ranting won't get you very far
> here.

you missed the point where my answer came

it was a diret reaction to "IMO, the community would be served better
if they tried packages from updates-testing early and more often"
while i see how much it serves me better to use updates-testing over
years all the time and now the second time a kernel-update made it to
stable while ignoring my bugreports