Old 08-03-2012, 01:16 AM
Aaron Konstam

Default Does Spamassassin junk processing work for anyone under evolution?

Beforwe I file a bugzilla does spamaswsassin Junk processing work for
anyone under evolution?

Old 08-03-2012, 01:23 AM
Matthew Saltzman

On Thu, 2012-08-02 at 21:16 -0400, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> Beforwe I file a bugzilla does spamaswsassin Junk processing work for
> anyone under evolution?

I'm not quite sure. I have evolution-spamassassin and evolution-rspam
installed. I can filter junk, but I can't enable the spam reporting
plugin.

--
Matthew Saltzman
Clemson University Math Sciences

Old 08-03-2012, 02:34 PM
Aaron Konstam

On Thu, 2012-08-02 at 21:23 -0400, Matthew Saltzman wrote:

> From:
> Matthew Saltzman
> <mjs@clemson.edu>
> To:
> Community support
> for Fedora users
> <users@lists.fedoraproject.org>
> Re: Does
> Spamassassin junk
> processing work
> for anyone under
> evolution?
> Date:
> Thu, 2 Aug 2012
> 21:23:44 -0400
> (08/02/2012
> 08:23:44 PM)
>

> On Thu, 2012-08-02 at 21:16 -0400, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> > Beforwe I file a bugzilla does spamaswsassin Junk processing work
> for
> > anyone under evolution?
>
> I'm not quite sure. I have evolution-spamassassin and evolution-rspam
> installed. I can filter junk, but I can't enable the spam reporting
> plugin.

The question is when you receive mail doews the spam automatically end
up in the Junk folder? It does not on my machine?
And this has never happened before. I mean in earlier fedora versons.

Old 08-03-2012, 03:07 PM
"Germán A. Racca"

On 08/03/2012 11:34 AM, Aaron Konstam wrote:

On Thu, 2012-08-02 at 21:23 -0400, Matthew Saltzman wrote:

From:
Matthew Saltzman
<mjs@clemson.edu>
To:
Community support
for Fedora users
<users@lists.fedoraproject.org>
Re: Does
Spamassassin junk
processing work
for anyone under
evolution?
Date:
Thu, 2 Aug 2012
21:23:44 -0400
(08/02/2012
08:23:44 PM)

On Thu, 2012-08-02 at 21:16 -0400, Aaron Konstam wrote:

Beforwe I file a bugzilla does spamaswsassin Junk processing work

for

anyone under evolution?

I'm not quite sure. I have evolution-spamassassin and evolution-rspam
installed. I can filter junk, but I can't enable the spam reporting
plugin.

The question is when you receive mail doews the spam automatically end
up in the Junk folder? It does not on my machine?
And this has never happened before. I mean in earlier fedora versons.

Hi Aaron:

It doesn't work for me. I had to switch to bogofilter, see my post to
this list about spamassassin:

http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/users/2012-April/416366.html

Germán.

--
Germán A. Racca
Fedora Package Maintainer

Old 08-03-2012, 06:37 PM
Matthew Saltzman

On Fri, 2012-08-03 at 10:34 -0400, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> On Thu, 2012-08-02 at 21:23 -0400, Matthew Saltzman wrote:
> > On Thu, 2012-08-02 at 21:16 -0400, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> > > Beforwe I file a bugzilla does spamaswsassin Junk processing work
> > for
> > > anyone under evolution?
> >
> > I'm not quite sure. I have evolution-spamassassin and evolution-rspam
> > installed. I can filter junk, but I can't enable the spam reporting
> > plugin.
> >
> The question is when you receive mail doews the spam automatically end
> up in the Junk folder? It does not on my machine?
> And this has never happened before. I mean in earlier fedora versons.

Ah. The answer is, yes. It works on my Exchange EWS account and on my
POP3 account. For some definition of "works". Some junk is not caught
and some non-junk is caught. There is no junk in my Gmail account, but
I don't get much spam there.

To turn it on for an account, Edit -> Preferences -> Mail Accounts ->
<select account> -> Edit -> Receiving Options, then check "Check new
messages for junk contents". My POP account doesn't offer a junk filter
option, so that might be happening at the host.

Also configure global junk processing in Edit -> Preferences -> Mail
Preferences -> Junk.

I still can't get spam reporting working, but I suppose that's another
thread.

Old 08-03-2012, 07:08 PM
Aaron Konstam

On Fri, 2012-08-03 at 14:37 -0400, Matthew Saltzman wrote:
> On Fri, 2012-08-03 at 10:34 -0400, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> > > for
> > >
> > > I'm not quite sure. I have evolution-spamassassin and evolution-rspam
> > > installed. I can filter junk, but I can't enable the spam reporting
> > > plugin.
> > >
> > The question is when you receive mail doews the spam automatically end
> > up in the Junk folder? It does not on my machine?
> > And this has never happened before. I mean in earlier fedora versons.
>
> Ah. The answer is, yes. It works on my Exchange EWS account and on my
> POP3 account. For some definition of "works". Some junk is not caught
> and some non-junk is caught. There is no junk in my Gmail account, but
> I don't get much spam there.
>
> To turn it on for an account, Edit -> Preferences -> Mail Accounts ->
> <select account> -> Edit -> Receiving Options, then check "Check new
> messages for junk contents". My POP account doesn't offer a junk filter
> option, so that might be happening at the host.
>
> Also configure global junk processing in Edit -> Preferences -> Mail
> Preferences -> Junk.
>
> I still can't get spam reporting working, but I suppose that's another
> thread.
Except the option "Check new messages for Junk" is under thew Junk tab
of Mail Preference. In my case no messages are sent to the Junk folder
automatically.

Old 08-04-2012, 02:37 AM
Matthew Saltzman

On Fri, 2012-08-03 at 15:08 -0400, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> On Fri, 2012-08-03 at 14:37 -0400, Matthew Saltzman wrote:

> > > The question is when you receive mail doews the spam automatically end
> > > up in the Junk folder? It does not on my machine?
> > > And this has never happened before. I mean in earlier fedora versons.
> >
> > Ah. The answer is, yes. It works on my Exchange EWS account and on my
> > POP3 account. For some definition of "works". Some junk is not caught
> > and some non-junk is caught. There is no junk in my Gmail account, but
> > I don't get much spam there.
> >
> > To turn it on for an account, Edit -> Preferences -> Mail Accounts ->
> > <select account> -> Edit -> Receiving Options, then check "Check new
> > messages for junk contents". My POP account doesn't offer a junk filter
> > option, so that might be happening at the host.
> >
> > Also configure global junk processing in Edit -> Preferences -> Mail
> > Preferences -> Junk.
> >
> > I still can't get spam reporting working, but I suppose that's another
> > thread.
> Except the option "Check new messages for Junk" is under thew Junk tab
> of Mail Preference.

Yes, there, too. But also there's a setting in each account (other than
POP, apparently).

> In my case no messages are sent to the Junk folder
> automatically.

Just to make sure, do you have the spamassassin and
evolution-spamassassin RPMs installed?

Old 08-04-2012, 11:11 AM
Tim

On Fri, 2012-08-03 at 14:37 -0400, Matthew Saltzman wrote:
> Ah. The answer is, yes. It works on my Exchange EWS account and on
> my POP3 account. For some definition of "works". Some junk is not
> caught and some non-junk is caught. There is no junk in my Gmail
> account, but I don't get much spam there.

So, is the junk mail filtering in Evolution:

a) Assessing the mail to see if it appears to be junk/not-junk, then
filtering it into an appropriate folder? And, when you manually hit
junk/not-junk buttons in your reader, are the assessment rules adjusted
to take those particular messages into account?

b) Looking for a junk/not-junk header in the mail, that some other
processor has put there when it assessed the mail, and filtering on
those junk mail headers?

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.

Old 08-04-2012, 01:29 PM
Matthew Saltzman

On Sat, 2012-08-04 at 07:11 -0400, Tim wrote:
> On Fri, 2012-08-03 at 14:37 -0400, Matthew Saltzman wrote:
> > Ah. The answer is, yes. It works on my Exchange EWS account and on
> > my POP3 account. For some definition of "works". Some junk is not
> > caught and some non-junk is caught. There is no junk in my Gmail
> > account, but I don't get much spam there.
>
> So, is the junk mail filtering in Evolution:
>
> a) Assessing the mail to see if it appears to be junk/not-junk, then
> filtering it into an appropriate folder? And, when you manually hit
> junk/not-junk buttons in your reader, are the assessment rules adjusted
> to take those particular messages into account?

It sounds like it. When I filter by hand, there's a pop-up that says
"learning spam" or "learning ham" or something similar.

> b) Looking for a junk/not-junk header in the mail, that some other
> processor has put there when it assessed the mail, and filtering on
> those junk mail headers?

Works in conjunction with spamassassin or bogofilter. So I don't know
exactly, but I would guess that the processor modifies the header, and
evo interacts with the processor to update the processor's filter
rules.

Old 08-04-2012, 01:46 PM
Aaron Konstam

On Fri, 2012-08-03 at 22:37 -0400, Matthew Saltzman wrote:
> On Fri, 2012-08-03 at 15:08 -0400, Aaron Konstam wrote:

> > > Ah. The answer is, yes. It works on my Exchange EWS account and on my
> > > POP3 account. For some definition of "works". Some junk is not caught
> > > and some non-junk is caught. There is no junk in my Gmail account, but
> > > I don't get much spam there.
> > >
> > > To turn it on for an account, Edit -> Preferences -> Mail Accounts ->
> > > <select account> -> Edit -> Receiving Options, then check "Check new
> > > messages for junk contents". My POP account doesn't offer a junk filter
> > > option, so that might be happening at the host.
> > >
> > > Also configure global junk processing in Edit -> Preferences -> Mail
> > > Preferences -> Junk.
> > >
> > > I still can't get spam reporting working, but I suppose that's another
> > > thread.
> > Except the option "Check new messages for Junk" is under thew Junk tab
> > of Mail Preference.
>
> Yes, there, too. But also there's a setting in each account (other than
> POP, apparently).
>
> > In my case no messages are sent to the Junk folder
> > automatically.
>
> Just to make sure, do you have the spamassassin and
> evolution-spamassassin RPMs installed?

Yes I do.