Old 08-02-2012, 01:06 AM
Jonathan Ryshpan

Default Files of type .abw start weirdly in KDE

When I click on the file foo.abw in the Desktop I would expect the abiword application to start with foo.abw open.* But actually firefox opens with two tabs and two dialog boxes, both of which state:

You have chosen to open

foo.abw

which is an AbiWord document (10.0 KB)

from /home/jonrysh/desktop

What should Firefox do with this file?

O Open with AbiWord (default)

O ...

The preferences in System Settings->File Associations all look OK.* Clicking on any other file in the Desktop works OK.* What's going on?

System is Fedora17 with KDE 4.8.4.

Thanks - jon

Old 08-02-2012, 01:34 AM
Ed Greshko

On 08/02/2012 09:06 AM, Jonathan Ryshpan wrote:
> When I click on the file foo.abw in the Desktop I would expect the abiword application to start with foo.abw open. But actually firefox opens with two tabs and two dialog boxes, both of which state:
>
> You have chosen to open
>
> *foo.abw*
> which is an AbiWord document (10.0 KB)
> from /home/jonrysh/desktop
>
> *What should Firefox do with this file?*
>
> O Open with AbiWord (default)
> O ...
>
> The preferences in System Settings->File Associations all look OK. Clicking on any other file in the Desktop works OK. What's going on?
> System is Fedora17 with KDE 4.8.4.

If you right click on the file on the Desktop and choose "Properties" and then go to the "Information" tab, what does it show?

FWIW, it works as expected on my system.

Old 08-02-2012, 05:25 AM
Richard Vickery

On Wed, Aug 1, 2012 at 6:06 PM, Jonathan Ryshpan <jonrysh@pacbell.net> wrote:

When I click on the file foo.abw in the Desktop I would expect the abiword application to start with foo.abw open.* But actually firefox opens with two tabs and two dialog boxes, both of which state:

You have chosen to open

foo.abw

which is an AbiWord document (10.0 KB)

from /home/jonrysh/desktop

What should Firefox do with this file?

O Open with AbiWord (default)

O ...

The preferences in System Settings->File Associations all look OK.* Clicking on any other file in the Desktop works OK.* What's going on?

System is Fedora17 with KDE 4.8.4.

Thanks - jon

Hi Jon:
Either type $abiword foo.abw at the command line*or*open abiword and chose file/open; the manner in which you are doing it above will not work. This is not MS Windows.

Old 08-02-2012, 05:37 AM
Ed Greshko

On 08/02/2012 01:25 PM, Richard Vickery wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 1, 2012 at 6:06 PM, Jonathan Ryshpan <jonrysh@pacbell.net <mailto:jonrysh@pacbell.net>> wrote:
>
> When I click on the file foo.abw in the Desktop I would expect the abiword application to start with foo.abw open. But actually firefox opens with two tabs and two dialog boxes, both of which state:
>
> You have chosen to open
>
> *foo.abw*
> which is an AbiWord document (10.0 KB)
> from /home/jonrysh/desktop
>
> *What should Firefox do with this file?*
>
> O Open with AbiWord (default)
> O ...
>
> The preferences in System Settings->File Associations all look OK. Clicking on any other file in the Desktop works OK. What's going on?
> System is Fedora17 with KDE 4.8.4.
>
> Thanks - jon
>

> Hi Jon:
>
> Either type $abiword foo.abw at the command line or open abiword and chose file/open; the manner in which you are doing it above will not work. This is not MS Windows.

Where did you get that impression? Indeed, if you double click on the file placed on a KDE desktop it will open the application. See my other message in this thread.

Old 08-02-2012, 07:10 AM
Joe Zeff