Old 04-13-2008, 11:15 AM
"joachim.backes@rhrk.uni-kl.de"

Default Thunderbird question

Hi,

I don't know if this list is the right place for my question: I have an
IMAP mail account, and I'm using thunderbird-2.0.0.12 together with Fedora8.

Beside of my IMAP account, I'm using a local spool as place for
archiving some emails. Now when trying to copy an IMAP folder to the
spool folder I see that only the tree hierarchy from IMAP folder is
copied to the local folder, but none of the emails contained in the IMAP
folder/subfolders.

I did the copying by dragging the IMAP folder into the local folder. Is
this correct, or is there another method to achieve this?

All comments are welcome.

Kind regards

University of Kaiserslautern,Computer Center [RHRK],
Systems and Operations, High Performance Computing,
D-67653 Kaiserslautern, PO Box 3049, Germany

Old 06-03-2008, 04:17 PM
Bruce Marshall

I've been looking at Thunderbird as a possible email client but am perplexed
by one thing:

If there is a URL present in an email, and it's underlined and blue
(indicating that T-bird knows its a URL) clicking on it does not do
anything.

Obviously there must be a setting somewhere telling T-bird what application to
use (as in Firefox) but I have looked from one end of T-bird to the other and
can't find any such setting.

Could someone hit me with a clue?

Thanks.

Old 06-03-2008, 04:31 PM
Billie Walsh

Bruce Marshall wrote:
> I've been looking at Thunderbird as a possible email client but am perplexed
> by one thing:
>
> If there is a URL present in an email, and it's underlined and blue
> (indicating that T-bird knows its a URL) clicking on it does not do
> anything.
>
> Obviously there must be a setting somewhere telling T-bird what application to
> use (as in Firefox) but I have looked from one end of T-bird to the other and
> can't find any such setting.
>
> Could someone hit me with a clue?
>
> Thanks.

OK, here goes:

Edit
Preferences
General Tab
Config Editor

Add:

network.protocol-handler.app.http {and your choice of browser}
network.protocol-handler.app.https {and your choice of browser}

Old 06-03-2008, 04:32 PM
"Willy K. Hamra"

Bruce Marshall wrote:
> I've been looking at Thunderbird as a possible email client but am perplexed
> by one thing:
>
> If there is a URL present in an email, and it's underlined and blue
> (indicating that T-bird knows its a URL) clicking on it does not do
> anything.
>
> Obviously there must be a setting somewhere telling T-bird what application to
> use (as in Firefox) but I have looked from one end of T-bird to the other and
> can't find any such setting.
>
> Could someone hit me with a clue?
>
> Thanks.

check system settings-->default applications-->web browser, and make
sure there is a default browser there, like "firefox-3.0 -new-tab"
in most cases, this is a problem with the system default web browser
rather than a problem with thunderbird itself.

--
Willy K. Hamra
Manager of Hamra Information Systems

Old 01-04-2010, 01:49 AM
Patton Echols

Not really an Ubuntu question, though that is my OS. Before looking for
a thunderbird forum, I thought a quick question.

When reading emails in T-Bird, if I press "r" it will mark all of the
emails of a thread as read. But is there a hot-key to delete an entire
thread? Or to select the thread? I was not able to find one here:
http://www.mozilla.org/support/thunderbird/keyboard

Anyone know of an undocumented method?

Thanks.

Old 01-04-2010, 01:59 AM
Patton Echols

On 01/03/2010 06:49 PM, Patton Echols wrote:
> Not really an Ubuntu question, though that is my OS. Before looking
> for a thunderbird forum, I thought a quick question.
>
> When reading emails in T-Bird, if I press "r" it will mark all of the
> emails of a thread as read. But is there a hot-key to delete an
> entire thread? Or to select the thread? I was not able to find one
> here:
> http://www.mozilla.org/support/thunderbird/keyboard
>
> Anyone know of an undocumented method?
>
> Thanks.

Geez, it figures that the moment I click "send" I would think of a
better word search! (Note to self: first pillage, THEN burn . . .)

For those interested, in a thread view, there is a little bubble icon to
the left of the first message in the thread. Click on that icon will
select the thread. the rest is just a [DEL] away! Oh, and if the
thread is collapsed, clicking the Icon will both expand it and select it.

Sorry to waste your time . . .

Old 01-04-2010, 02:50 AM
NoOp

Old 01-04-2010, 03:00 AM
Alex Janssen

NoOp wrote:
> On 01/03/2010 06:49 PM, Patton Echols wrote:
>
>> Not really an Ubuntu question, though that is my OS. Before looking for
>> a thunderbird forum, I thought a quick question.
>>
>> When reading emails in T-Bird, if I press "r" it will mark all of the
>> emails of a thread as read. But is there a hot-key to delete an entire
>> thread? Or to select the thread? I was not able to find one here:
>> http://www.mozilla.org/support/thunderbird/keyboard
>>
>> Anyone know of an undocumented method?
>>
>> Thanks.

Uhh ... what's "k" do? or is that just for OK?

--
Ourwoods.org
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. - Albert Einstein (275)

Old 01-04-2010, 09:29 AM
Andrew Farris

On Sun, 2010-01-03 at 18:59 -0800, Patton Echols wrote:
[snip]
> Geez, it figures that the moment I click "send" I would think of a
> better word search! (Note to self: first pillage, THEN burn . . .)

Rule #1... Schlock reader?

--
Andrew

Old 01-04-2010, 03:14 PM
NoOp

On 01/03/2010 08:00 PM, Alex Janssen wrote:
> NoOp wrote:
>> On 01/03/2010 06:49 PM, Patton Echols wrote:
>>
>>> Not really an Ubuntu question, though that is my OS. Before looking for
>>> a thunderbird forum, I thought a quick question.
>>>
>>> When reading emails in T-Bird, if I press "r" it will mark all of the
>>> emails of a thread as read. But is there a hot-key to delete an entire
>>> thread? Or to select the thread? I was not able to find one here:
>>> http://www.mozilla.org/support/thunderbird/keyboard
>>>
>>> Anyone know of an undocumented method?
>>>
>>> Thanks.

> Uhh ... what's "k" do? or is that just for OK?

Sorry, I use gmane.org & read/post via nntp (newsgroups).
K = Ignore Thread
Shift+k = Ignore Subthread

I mistakenly thought that you could do the same w/emails. But after
checking, apparently you cannot do that with email threads, only with
newsgroup threads. My apologies.