Old 07-31-2012, 11:27 PM
Phil Dobbin

Default Change Fedora Releases source

Old 07-31-2012, 11:58 PM
Ed Greshko

On 08/01/2012 07:27 AM, Phil Dobbin wrote:
> I have both Beefy on a desktop machine & a laptop. On the desktop
> variety, `yum update` works fine but on the laptop it's always throwing
> errors (timing out, 401s, etc).
>
> The laptop was upgraded from 12 -> 15 -> 16 -> 17 using preupgrade as &
> when the new releases became available & the desktop was a clean install
> from a Live CD.
>
> What I'd like to do is check that the laptop is using the same sources
> for Fedora Releases as the desktop & if, as I suspect, it's not, change
> it so as not to encounter these errors.
>
> I've tried Googling on the subject but I'm just seeing results for
> `/etc/yum.repos` which are not the source files with the relevant
> information I'll need so if anyone can point me to the relevant config
> files, I'd appreciate it.

IMO, it is better to copy/paste the errors and show them to people. This will better enable people comment what is going on.

Old 08-01-2012, 03:42 AM
Phil Dobbin

Old 08-01-2012, 06:13 AM
Suvayu Ali

On Wed, Aug 01, 2012 at 12:27:22AM +0100, Phil Dobbin wrote:

> Hi, all.
>
> I have both Beefy on a desktop machine & a laptop. On the desktop
> variety, `yum update` works fine but on the laptop it's always throwing
> errors (timing out, 401s, etc).

These look like network issues to me. Exact error messages would help.

[...]

> What I'd like to do is check that the laptop is using the same sources
> for Fedora Releases as the desktop & if, as I suspect, it's not, change
> it so as not to encounter these errors.
>
> I've tried Googling on the subject but I'm just seeing results for
> `/etc/yum.repos` which are not the source files with the relevant
> information I'll need so if anyone can point me to the relevant config
> files, I'd appreciate it.

What do you mean by "sources"? Are you using Debian terminology for
repositories? If yes, then "/etc/yum.repos.d/" is indeed the right
place.

If it is indeed a repo mirror problem, the output of the following
should help.

$ yum repolist

Check if you the "baseurl" line is commented out in the enabled repo
files in /etc/yum.repos.d/. For more info you can look at
`man yum.conf'.

GL

--
Suvayu

Old 08-01-2012, 08:05 AM
Phil Dobbin

Suvayu Ali wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 01, 2012 at 12:27:22AM +0100, Phil Dobbin wrote:

>> I have both Beefy on a desktop machine & a laptop. On the desktop
>> variety, `yum update` works fine but on the laptop it's always throwing
>> errors (timing out, 401s, etc).
>>

> These look like network issues to me. Exact error messages would help.
>
> [...]
>
>> What I'd like to do is check that the laptop is using the same sources
>> for Fedora Releases as the desktop & if, as I suspect, it's not, change
>> it so as not to encounter these errors.
>>
>> I've tried Googling on the subject but I'm just seeing results for
>> `/etc/yum.repos` which are not the source files with the relevant
>> information I'll need so if anyone can point me to the relevant config
>> files, I'd appreciate it.
>>

> What do you mean by "sources"? Are you using Debian terminology for
> repositories? If yes, then "/etc/yum.repos.d/" is indeed the right
> place.
>
> If it is indeed a repo mirror problem, the output of the following
> should help.
>
> $ yum repolist
>
> Check if you the "baseurl" line is commented out in the enabled repo
> files in /etc/yum.repos.d/. For more info you can look at
> `man yum.conf'.

Thanks. That's exactly what I was looking for.

Cheers,

Phil...

- --
currently (ab)using
CentOS 6.2, Debian Squeeze, Fedora Beefy, OS X Snow Leopard, Ubuntu Precise