-   -   question regarding ls w/ colors and capturing to file (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/689114-question-regarding-ls-w-colors-capturing-file.html)

Paul Allen Newell 07-31-2012 06:15 AM

question regarding ls w/ colors and capturing to file

Fedora List:

I can run "ls -FR" on a directory and get a lovely listing with lots of
color coded information to let me know what is what. I have hit a
directory that is big enough that scrolling though the output isn't
efficient. I would like to capture the output of "ls -FR" into a file
that preserves the color coding (I don't want to read each file as I
wish to visually scan to see if something isn't right and color is a
great way to see it).

My attempts with "more" have stripped color. So has "less". Does anyone
have an idea how to capture the output of "ls -FR" that keeps the color
coding?

This is a low priority item ... just something that would be nice to be
able to do

Thanks in advance,
Paul

Ed Greshko 07-31-2012 06:22 AM

On 07/31/2012 02:15 PM, Paul Allen Newell wrote:
> Fedora List:
>
> I can run "ls -FR" on a directory and get a lovely listing with lots of color coded information to let me know what is what. I have hit a directory that is big enough that scrolling though the output isn't efficient. I would like to capture the output of "ls -FR" into a file that preserves the color coding (I don't want to read each file as I wish to visually scan to see if something isn't right and color is a great way to see it).
>
> My attempts with "more" have stripped color. So has "less". Does anyone have an idea how to capture the output of "ls -FR" that keeps the color coding?
>
> This is a low priority item ... just something that would be nice to be able to do
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Paul

script -c "ls -FR --color" outfile

Paul Allen Newell 07-31-2012 06:48 AM

question regarding ls w/ colors and capturing to file