FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 07-30-2012, 01:48 AM
Oscar Vidal
 
Default Configuring graphics(resolution) on Dell Vostro 460 i5

Hello,

I'm new with fedora, I has been Ubuntu user during last years. Now I'm facing a problem with my workstation when I installed Fedora 17. I'm not able to configure the right resolution for the system, I'm using a Dell Vostro 460 i5. Im wondering if someone else had instaled Fedora 17 in this same computer and had solved already this problem. Any advice is welcome.


Thanks
Oscar

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
 
Old 07-30-2012, 02:37 AM
Ed Greshko
 
Default Configuring graphics(resolution) on Dell Vostro 460 i5

On 07/30/2012 09:48 AM, Oscar Vidal wrote:
> I'm new with fedora, I has been Ubuntu user during last years. Now I'm facing a problem with my workstation when I installed Fedora 17. I'm not able to configure the right resolution for the system, I'm using a Dell Vostro 460 i5. Im wondering if someone else had instaled Fedora 17 in this same computer and had solved already this problem. Any advice is welcome.

You should tell people something about your video HW. Use lspci | grep -i vga. As well as the output from xrandr



--
Never be afraid to laugh at yourself, after all, you could be missing out on the joke of the century. -- Dame Edna Everage
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
 
Old 07-30-2012, 10:43 AM
Oscar Vidal
 
Default Configuring graphics(resolution) on Dell Vostro 460 i5

Hello Ed,

Thanks for your answer.
I tried already these commands and these are the outputs:

# lspci | grep -i vga
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation Device 0de2 (rev a1)

# xrandr

xrandr: Failed to get size of gamma for output default

Screen 0: minimum 640 x 480, current 1024 x 768, maximum 1024 x 768
default connected 1024x768+0+0 0mm x 0mm
** 1024x768******* 0.0*
** 800x600******** 0.0*
** 640x480******** 0.0*


when really the max resolution is 1600x900


thanks,
Oscar



On 30 July 2012 10:37, Ed Greshko <Ed.Greshko@greshko.com> wrote:


On 07/30/2012 09:48 AM, Oscar Vidal wrote:

> I'm new with fedora, I has been Ubuntu user during last years. Now I'm facing a problem with my workstation when I installed Fedora 17. I'm not able to configure the right resolution for the system, I'm using a Dell Vostro 460 i5. Im wondering if someone else had instaled Fedora 17 in this same computer and had solved already this problem. Any advice is welcome.





You should tell people something about your video HW. *Use lspci | grep -i vga. *As well as the output from xrandr







--

Never be afraid to laugh at yourself, after all, you could be missing out on the joke of the century. -- Dame Edna Everage

--

users mailing list

users@lists.fedoraproject.org

To unsubscribe or change subscription options:

https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users

Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines

Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org



--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
 
Old 07-30-2012, 11:05 AM
Ed Greshko
 
Default Configuring graphics(resolution) on Dell Vostro 460 i5

On 07/30/2012 06:43 PM, Oscar Vidal wrote:
> I tried already these commands and these are the outputs:
>
> # lspci | grep -i vga
> 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation Device 0de2 (rev a1)
>
> # xrandr
> xrandr: Failed to get size of gamma for output default
> Screen 0: minimum 640 x 480, current 1024 x 768, maximum 1024 x 768
> default connected 1024x768+0+0 0mm x 0mm
> 1024x768 0.0*
> 800x600 0.0
> 640x480 0.0
>
>
> when really the max resolution is 1600x900

I find the output of lspci a bit odd. I thought that it would indicate the card type. Mine, for example, is ...

1:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation G92 [GeForce GT 230] (rev a2)

Do you know what model you have? It "may" be that the card is not being detected properly or the card is not support by the default NOUVEAU driver.

Also, can you supply the contents of /var/log/Xorg.0.log

Is this Fedora the only version of Linux you've tried on this hardware?


--
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. -- Rick Cook, The Wizardry Compiled
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
 
Old 07-30-2012, 11:19 AM
"Bryn M. Reeves"
 
Default Configuring graphics(resolution) on Dell Vostro 460 i5

On Mon, 2012-07-30 at 19:05 +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:
> I find the output of lspci a bit odd. I thought that it would indicate the card type. Mine, for example, is ...
>
> 1:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation G92 [GeForce GT 230] (rev a2)

Getting numeric output indicates that the pci.ids database doesn't
contain an entry for this model (usually new devices that appeared
later).

> Do you know what model you have? It "may" be that the card is not being detected properly or the card is not support by the default NOUVEAU driver.

I think 0de2 is "NVIDIA GeForce GT 420". You can get an updated PCI IDs
table using the update-pciids command (part of pciutils - note that this
will replace the one installed by the hwdata RPM so you may want to back
it up if you want to preserve the original).

This ID is defined in the current list but not the version present on my
F17 systems:

0de2 GF108 [GeForce GT 420]

If it's a recent device that may explain why it's not known to nouveau
(if that's the case).

The X log should show whether it's using vesa or nouveau.

Bryn.


--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
 
Old 07-30-2012, 11:30 AM
Ed Greshko
 
Default Configuring graphics(resolution) on Dell Vostro 460 i5

On 07/30/2012 07:19 PM, Bryn M. Reeves wrote:


Just to be sure..... I am not the OP or the person with the problem.... OK? :-)

> On Mon, 2012-07-30 at 19:05 +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:
>> I find the output of lspci a bit odd. I thought that it would indicate the card type. Mine, for example, is ...
>>
>> 1:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation G92 [GeForce GT 230] (rev a2)
> Getting numeric output indicates that the pci.ids database doesn't
> contain an entry for this model (usually new devices that appeared
> later).

That is what I was implying. Thank you for taking the time to elaborate.

>
>> Do you know what model you have? It "may" be that the card is not being detected properly or the card is not support by the default NOUVEAU driver.
> I think 0de2 is "NVIDIA GeForce GT 420". You can get an updated PCI IDs
> table using the update-pciids command (part of pciutils - note that this
> will replace the one installed by the hwdata RPM so you may want to back
> it up if you want to preserve the original).
>
> This ID is defined in the current list but not the version present on my
> F17 systems:
>
> 0de2 GF108 [GeForce GT 420]
>
> If it's a recent device that may explain why it's not known to nouveau
> (if that's the case).

I looked up 0de2 at the nVidia site and it is indeed the GeForce GT 420
>
> The X log should show whether it's using vesa or nouveau.

Wow, that may explain why I asked for that from the OP..... :-) :-)


--
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. -- Rick Cook, The Wizardry Compiled
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
 
Old 07-30-2012, 01:19 PM
Marko Vojinovic
 
Default Configuring graphics(resolution) on Dell Vostro 460 i5

On Monday, 30. July 2012. 18.43.13 Oscar Vidal wrote:
> I tried already these commands and these are the outputs:
>
> # lspci | grep -i vga
> 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation Device 0de2 (rev a1)

You have a nVidia graphics card, which is not (yet) recognized by the Fedora's
native (nouveau) driver. It will become better in the (near/far/whenever)
future, but for now you probably want to install the closed-source nVidia
driver if you want to have resolution better than 1024x768.

You can do this by enabling the rpmfusion repository (google for rpmfusion and
follow instructions on their website), and then by doing

yum install kmod-nvidia

as root. After this is done, you should reboot and everyhting should become
better automatically.

HTH, :-)
Marko


--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 01:43 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org