Old 07-29-2012, 07:59 AM
"Erik P. Olsen"

Default External disk problem.

I have an external 1 TB harddisk e-sata attached used for backups. The problem
is that I have few times lost connection to it. I have taken up the habit of
suspending (to RAM) when I leave the machine for a while and the problem seems
to happen when I reactivate the system though not every time. After a power
cycle the disk attaches correctly again. There is no trace of the problem in the
various logs so I am tempted to believe that it is caused by the suspend process
rather than a disk failure but since it is my backup device I would like to be
sure.

System: Fedora 16 with xfce 4.10
Kernel: 3.4.6-1.fc16.x86_64

Question: How can I run diagnose on the disk to see if it is about to fail
permanently?

--
Erik.

Old 07-30-2012, 03:13 AM

On Sun, Jul 29, 2012 at 09:59:56AM +0200, Erik P. Olsen wrote:
> I have an external 1 TB harddisk e-sata attached used for backups.
> The problem is that I have few times lost connection to it. I have
> taken up the habit of suspending (to RAM) when I leave the machine
> for a while and the problem seems to happen when I reactivate the
> system though not every time. After a power cycle the disk attaches
> correctly again. There is no trace of the problem in the various
> logs so I am tempted to believe that it is caused by the suspend
> process rather than a disk failure but since it is my backup device
> I would like to be sure.
>
> System: Fedora 16 with xfce 4.10
> Kernel: 3.4.6-1.fc16.x86_64
>
> Question: How can I run diagnose on the disk to see if it is about
> to fail permanently?

That's not a disk problem. That's the disk failing to remount itself
properly after the suspend. This is very common. In fact, I wrote a script
(in Gentoo) to unmount external drives before a suspend operation, so that
the numbering of disks in /dev don't become littered with 'zombie' drives.

I'm sure there's a super-slick way of getting drives to remount themselves
after a suspend, but mounting drives is relatively easy to do either with
gui or cli tools, so I don't tear my hair over it.

Terry

Old 07-30-2012, 08:44 AM
"Bryn M. Reeves"

On Sun, 2012-07-29 at 20:13 -0700, ny6p01@gmail.com wrote:
> That's not a disk problem. That's the disk failing to remount itself
> properly after the suspend. This is very common. In fact, I wrote a script
> (in Gentoo) to unmount external drives before a suspend operation, so that
> the numbering of disks in /dev don't become littered with 'zombie' drives.
>
> I'm sure there's a super-slick way of getting drives to remount themselves
> after a suspend, but mounting drives is relatively easy to do either with
> gui or cli tools, so I don't tear my hair over it.

An eSATA device should be able to suspend and resume properly (just like
the other ATA devices in your system).

Debugging it may be difficult unless you can get console logs showing
what's happening during the suspend/resume cycle (serial console or
possibly netconsole).

What state is the device in following a resume?
(/sys/block/sd*/device/state).

Regards,
Bryn.

Old 07-30-2012, 09:29 AM
Fernando Cassia

On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 12:13 AM, <ny6p01@gmail.com> wrote:
> This is very common. In fact, I wrote a script
> (in Gentoo) to unmount external drives before a suspend operation, so that
> the numbering of disks in /dev don't become littered with 'zombie' drives.

It would be great if you could share it...

FC

Old 07-30-2012, 09:32 AM
"Bryn M. Reeves"

On Mon, 2012-07-30 at 06:29 -0300, Fernando Cassia wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 12:13 AM, <ny6p01@gmail.com> wrote:
> > This is very common. In fact, I wrote a script
> > (in Gentoo) to unmount external drives before a suspend operation, so that
> > the numbering of disks in /dev don't become littered with 'zombie' drives.
>
> It would be great if you could share it...

Do you see that happen a lot?

Bryn.

Old 07-30-2012, 09:42 AM
"Erik P. Olsen"

That's not a disk problem. That's the disk failing to remount itself
properly after the suspend. This is very common. In fact, I wrote a script
(in Gentoo) to unmount external drives before a suspend operation, so that
the numbering of disks in /dev don't become littered with 'zombie' drives.

I'm sure there's a super-slick way of getting drives to remount themselves
after a suspend, but mounting drives is relatively easy to do either with
gui or cli tools, so I don't tear my hair over it.

An eSATA device should be able to suspend and resume properly (just like
the other ATA devices in your system).

It does so most of the time.

Debugging it may be difficult unless you can get console logs showing
what's happening during the suspend/resume cycle (serial console or
possibly netconsole).

What state is the device in following a resume?
(/sys/block/sd*/device/state).

What is that? I don't see anything near this path on my system. You probably
mean a faulty resume, in that case I'll have to wait til it happens again.

--
Erik

Old 07-30-2012, 09:47 AM
Ed Greshko

On 07/30/2012 04:44 PM, Bryn M. Reeves wrote:
> What state is the device in following a resume?
> (/sys/block/sd*/device/state).

I am not so sure that is a "good" indication of anything. I have 2 drives on my system /dev/sda and /dev/sdb.

[egreshko@meimei block]$ cat /sys/block/sdd/device/state
running

I don't think so.....

Old 07-30-2012, 09:48 AM
Fernando Cassia

On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 6:32 AM, Bryn M. Reeves <bmr@redhat.com> wrote:
> Do you see that happen a lot?

Do you mean the error, or the sharing of scripts?

In any case, thanks in advance for helping the community. ;-P
FC

Old 07-30-2012, 09:51 AM
"Bryn M. Reeves"

On Mon, 2012-07-30 at 11:42 +0200, Erik P. Olsen wrote:
> On 30/07/12 10:44, Bryn M. Reeves wrote:
> > What state is the device in following a resume?
> > (/sys/block/sd*/device/state).
>
> What is that? I don't see anything near this path on my system. You probably
> mean a faulty resume, in that case I'll have to wait til it happens again.

No, I meant what state the device is in following a resume.. It should
be "running" prior to the suspend (and at all times during normal
operation).

The above path is a sysfs attribute that indicates the state of the
block device.

E.g. for sda on my system:

$ cat /sys/block/sda/device/state
running

Bryn.

Old 07-30-2012, 09:59 AM
"Bryn M. Reeves"

On Mon, 2012-07-30 at 17:47 +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:
> On 07/30/2012 04:44 PM, Bryn M. Reeves wrote:
> > What state is the device in following a resume?
> > (/sys/block/sd*/device/state).
>
> I am not so sure that is a "good" indication of anything. I have 2 drives on my system /dev/sda and /dev/sdb.

It's a fine indication of the state the kernel thinks the device is in
(that's what it's there for). If that file indicates the device is
running but in fact you can't issue I/O to it you'd suspect a problem in
the driver. If it's blocked or offlined you can look into what caused
that to happen.

> [egreshko@meimei block]$ cat /sys/block/sdd/device/state
> running

Are they working? What are you trying to prove? For an active, working
device this is the normal state.