Old 07-30-2012, 10:56 AM
Ed Greshko

Default External disk problem.

On 07/30/2012 06:51 PM, Bryn M. Reeves wrote:
> Not at all but posts should be relevant to the thread and explain
> anything that other readers might need to know (like the fact that you
> don't have any problems, are running commands on a different type of
> device that's also removable etc.).

Whatever..... I looked back on the thread and didn't see you jumping on others for putting in their $.02 and not pointing out that that don't have problems......

I try to remember your sage advice.

Old 07-30-2012, 12:55 PM

On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 09:44:24AM +0100, Bryn M. Reeves wrote:
> On Sun, 2012-07-29 at 20:13 -0700, ny6p01@gmail.com wrote:
> > That's not a disk problem. That's the disk failing to remount itself
> > properly after the suspend. This is very common. In fact, I wrote a script
> > (in Gentoo) to unmount external drives before a suspend operation, so that
> > the numbering of disks in /dev don't become littered with 'zombie' drives.
> >
> > I'm sure there's a super-slick way of getting drives to remount themselves
> > after a suspend, but mounting drives is relatively easy to do either with
> > gui or cli tools, so I don't tear my hair over it.
>
> An eSATA device should be able to suspend and resume properly (just like
> the other ATA devices in your system).
>
> Debugging it may be difficult unless you can get console logs showing
> what's happening during the suspend/resume cycle (serial console or
> possibly netconsole).
>
> What state is the device in following a resume?
> (/sys/block/sd*/device/state).

Never knew about that file. Thanks!

Terry

Old 07-30-2012, 12:59 PM

On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 06:20:53PM +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:
> On 07/30/2012 06:16 PM, Bryn M. Reeves wrote:
> > In this case a suggestion that for whatever reason the kernel hasn't
> > properly dealt with the removal of the device that had been assigned to
> > sdd (it presumably existed at some point for the sysfs path to have been
> > created).
>
> Fresh install, 2 days ago.... Never had a drive there... And Never had a drive in sdc either...

Well, when you do, it'll be ready. And running. :0

> [egreshko@meimei block]$ cat /sys/block/sdc/device/state
> running
> >
> > If you're not getting entries in the logs when the problem happens you
> > can either look at other ways to get the logs out (e.g. serial console)
> > or you can try suspending and resuming from the console to see if
> > anything is printed (I have no idea if you are or not - you haven't
> > actually described the problem you are seeing so I'm just assuming it's
> > the "same" as Erik described since you are replying to his thread).
>
> I don't have *any* problems on my system.... I never said I did....check the archive.
>
> I am simply dubious that this "state" has any valid meaning.

Terry

Old 07-30-2012, 01:05 PM
"Bryn M. Reeves"

On Mon, 2012-07-30 at 05:55 -0700, ny6p01@gmail.com wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 09:44:24AM +0100, Bryn M. Reeves wrote:
> > On Sun, 2012-07-29 at 20:13 -0700, ny6p01@gmail.com wrote:
> > > That's not a disk problem. That's the disk failing to remount itself
> > > properly after the suspend. This is very common. In fact, I wrote a script
> > > (in Gentoo) to unmount external drives before a suspend operation, so that
> > > the numbering of disks in /dev don't become littered with 'zombie' drives.
> > >
> > > I'm sure there's a super-slick way of getting drives to remount themselves
> > > after a suspend, but mounting drives is relatively easy to do either with
> > > gui or cli tools, so I don't tear my hair over it.
> >
> > An eSATA device should be able to suspend and resume properly (just like
> > the other ATA devices in your system).
> >
> > Debugging it may be difficult unless you can get console logs showing
> > what's happening during the suspend/resume cycle (serial console or
> > possibly netconsole).
> >
> > What state is the device in following a resume?
> > (/sys/block/sd*/device/state).
> >

> Never knew about that file. Thanks!

It only shows the SCSI state of the device but it can be a useful check
when trying to narrow down the problem. If the SCSI layer was aware of
problems it will often have set the state to 'offline'. If the device is
out to lunch but the file still shows 'running' it suggests that there
is a problem lower down and that the upper layers have not been informed
of a problem.

Bryn.

Old 07-30-2012, 01:07 PM
"Erik P. Olsen"