Old 07-30-2012, 10:01 AM
"Bryn M. Reeves"

Default External disk problem.

On Mon, 2012-07-30 at 06:48 -0300, Fernando Cassia wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 6:32 AM, Bryn M. Reeves <bmr@redhat.com> wrote:
> > Do you see that happen a lot?
>
> Do you mean the error, or the sharing of scripts?

The error: it's an abnormal condition so if you are seeing that,
especially if it is happening frequently, there is a problem.

When a device is removed the kernel issues remove uevents that should be
picked up by udev and cause the device nodes to be removed.

Bryn.

Old 07-30-2012, 10:04 AM
Ed Greshko

On 07/30/2012 05:59 PM, Bryn M. Reeves wrote:
> On Mon, 2012-07-30 at 17:47 +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:
>> On 07/30/2012 04:44 PM, Bryn M. Reeves wrote:
>>> What state is the device in following a resume?
>>> (/sys/block/sd*/device/state).
>> I am not so sure that is a "good" indication of anything. I have 2 drives on my system /dev/sda and /dev/sdb.
> It's a fine indication of the state the kernel thinks the device is in
> (that's what it's there for). If that file indicates the device is
> running but in fact you can't issue I/O to it you'd suspect a problem in
> the driver. If it's blocked or offlined you can look into what caused
> that to happen.
>
>> [egreshko@meimei block]$ cat /sys/block/sdd/device/state
>> running
> Are they working? What are you trying to prove? For an active, working
> device this is the normal state.

There is no disk plugged into the SATA port. As I said.... I only have 2 sda and sdb. There is no sdD.
So, what is "running"?

Old 07-30-2012, 10:09 AM
"Erik P. Olsen"