Old 07-29-2012, 02:37 AM
Richard Vickery

Default installation fails

On Sat, Jul 28, 2012 at 7:18 PM, Ed Greshko <Ed.Greshko@greshko.com> wrote:

On 07/29/2012 09:59 AM, Patrick Dupre wrote:

> I failed several times to install fedora.

> It seems to be caused by the sleeping of the DVD reader.

> How can I awake it up?

> It stops to run typically during the configuration of the installation.

Have you tried making the CD drive the first place the computer looks for a boot-loader in the BIOS?

Old 07-29-2012, 07:33 AM
Heinz Diehl

On 29.07.2012, Ed Greshko wrote:

> The last phase of the installation takes a fair amount of time.
> It "seems" to hang and do nothing. I didn't time it, but I feel it
> was more than 5 minutes.

I have installed F17 on several different machines, and that "hang"
occured in all of the installations, lasting clearly 15-20 min. The
installation finished properly afterwards.

This behaviour is clearly a bug. Not because it takes so long time,
but because the user isn't informed and waits speculating about what
went wrong and when to push the reset-button.

Old 07-29-2012, 08:09 AM
Ed Greshko

On 07/29/2012 03:33 PM, Heinz Diehl wrote:
> On 29.07.2012, Ed Greshko wrote:
>
>> The last phase of the installation takes a fair amount of time.
>> It "seems" to hang and do nothing. I didn't time it, but I feel it
>> was more than 5 minutes.
> I have installed F17 on several different machines, and that "hang"
> occured in all of the installations, lasting clearly 15-20 min. The
> installation finished properly afterwards.
>
> This behaviour is clearly a bug. Not because it takes so long time,
> but because the user isn't informed and waits speculating about what
> went wrong and when to push the reset-button.

I've never seen the final phase that that long...probably HW dependent.

Have you checked bugzilla to see if someone has filed a report on this...and potentially an RFE to the install process?

--
Never be afraid to laugh at yourself, after all, you could be missing out on the joke of the century. -- Dame Edna Everage

Old 07-29-2012, 09:38 AM
Joachim Backes

On 07/29/2012 10:09 AM, Ed Greshko wrote:
> On 07/29/2012 03:33 PM, Heinz Diehl wrote:
>> On 29.07.2012, Ed Greshko wrote:
>>
>>> The last phase of the installation takes a fair amount of time.
>>> It "seems" to hang and do nothing. I didn't time it, but I feel it
>>> was more than 5 minutes.
>> I have installed F17 on several different machines, and that "hang"
>> occured in all of the installations, lasting clearly 15-20 min. The
>> installation finished properly afterwards.
>>
>> This behaviour is clearly a bug. Not because it takes so long time,
>> but because the user isn't informed and waits speculating about what
>> went wrong and when to push the reset-button.
>>

> I've never seen the final phase that that long...probably HW dependent.
>
> Have you checked bugzilla to see if someone has filed a report on this...and potentially an RFE to the install process?

From my point of view: I saw this rather long final installation phase
too (I guess about 15 min). Not only in F17 but in F16 too, and I don't
know what exactly happens during this time.

Kind regards

https://www-user.rhrk.uni-kl.de/~backes

Old 07-29-2012, 10:05 AM
"G.Wolfe Woodbury"