-   -   installation fails (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/688517-installation-fails.html)

Richard Vickery 07-29-2012 02:37 AM

installation fails

On Sat, Jul 28, 2012 at 7:18 PM, Ed Greshko <Ed.Greshko@greshko.com> wrote:

On 07/29/2012 09:59 AM, Patrick Dupre wrote:

> I failed several times to install fedora.

> It seems to be caused by the sleeping of the DVD reader.

> How can I awake it up?

> It stops to run typically during the configuration of the installation.

Have you tried making the CD drive the first place the computer looks for a boot-loader in the BIOS?

Heinz Diehl 07-29-2012 07:33 AM

installation fails

On 29.07.2012, Ed Greshko wrote:

> The last phase of the installation takes a fair amount of time.
> It "seems" to hang and do nothing. I didn't time it, but I feel it
> was more than 5 minutes.

I have installed F17 on several different machines, and that "hang"
occured in all of the installations, lasting clearly 15-20 min. The
installation finished properly afterwards.

This behaviour is clearly a bug. Not because it takes so long time,
but because the user isn't informed and waits speculating about what
went wrong and when to push the reset-button.

Ed Greshko 07-29-2012 08:09 AM

installation fails

On 07/29/2012 03:33 PM, Heinz Diehl wrote:
> On 29.07.2012, Ed Greshko wrote:
>
>> The last phase of the installation takes a fair amount of time.
>> It "seems" to hang and do nothing. I didn't time it, but I feel it
>> was more than 5 minutes.
> I have installed F17 on several different machines, and that "hang"
> occured in all of the installations, lasting clearly 15-20 min. The
> installation finished properly afterwards.
>
> This behaviour is clearly a bug. Not because it takes so long time,
> but because the user isn't informed and waits speculating about what
> went wrong and when to push the reset-button.

I've never seen the final phase that that long...probably HW dependent.

Have you checked bugzilla to see if someone has filed a report on this...and potentially an RFE to the install process?

--
Never be afraid to laugh at yourself, after all, you could be missing out on the joke of the century. -- Dame Edna Everage

Joachim Backes 07-29-2012 09:38 AM

installation fails

On 07/29/2012 10:09 AM, Ed Greshko wrote:
> On 07/29/2012 03:33 PM, Heinz Diehl wrote:
>> On 29.07.2012, Ed Greshko wrote:
>>
>>> The last phase of the installation takes a fair amount of time.
>>> It "seems" to hang and do nothing. I didn't time it, but I feel it
>>> was more than 5 minutes.
>> I have installed F17 on several different machines, and that "hang"
>> occured in all of the installations, lasting clearly 15-20 min. The
>> installation finished properly afterwards.
>>
>> This behaviour is clearly a bug. Not because it takes so long time,
>> but because the user isn't informed and waits speculating about what
>> went wrong and when to push the reset-button.
>>

> I've never seen the final phase that that long...probably HW dependent.
>
> Have you checked bugzilla to see if someone has filed a report on this...and potentially an RFE to the install process?

From my point of view: I saw this rather long final installation phase
too (I guess about 15 min). Not only in F17 but in F16 too, and I don't
know what exactly happens during this time.

Kind regards

https://www-user.rhrk.uni-kl.de/~backes

"G.Wolfe Woodbury" 07-29-2012 10:05 AM

installation fails

too (I guess about 15 min). Not only in F17 but in F16 too, and I
don't know what exactly happens during this time.
It is time spent (mostly) running the %postinstall scrips for each of
the packages installed during the main phase. You can switch to vt2 and
run top in the shell and watch the madness.

--
G.Wolfe Woodbury
redwolfe (proventesters)

Michael Schwendt 07-29-2012 10:41 AM

installation fails

On Sun, 29 Jul 2012 06:05:02 -0400, G.Wolfe Woodbury wrote:

> On 07/29/2012 05:38 AM, Joachim Backes wrote:
> > From my point of view: I saw this rather long final installation phase
> > too (I guess about 15 min). Not only in F17 but in F16 too, and I
> > don't know what exactly happens during this time.
>
> It is time spent (mostly) running the %postinstall scrips for each of
> the packages installed during the main phase. You can switch to vt2 and
> run top in the shell and watch the madness.

It's not %post.

The rather new final step is the RPM "Verification" of installed packages
you can also observe when using Yum. In Anaconda, the progress bar is at
99%/100% already and doesn't move anymore because the time this step takes
is unaccounted for.

--
Fedora release 17 (Beefy Miracle) - Linux 3.4.6-2.fc17.x86_64
loadavg: 0.15 0.24 0.25

Michael Schwendt 07-29-2012 10:59 AM

installation fails

On Sun, 29 Jul 2012 09:33:34 +0200, Heinz Diehl wrote:

> This behaviour is clearly a bug. Not because it takes so long time,
> but because the user isn't informed and waits speculating about what
> went wrong and when to push the reset-button.

http://bugz.fedoraproject.org/anaconda

Would be easy to submit a bug report or RFE.

There's one bug report already that complains about a missing Estimated
Time value, but I could not find a ticket specifically covering the final
Verification step of all installed packages.

The progress bar calculation would need to become very elegant, however,
to not be degraded to Windows style installers, where it jumps back to 0%,
then moves to 100% again, only to restart from 0% an unknown number of
times. That may be good as a sign of life, but it's not really helpful as
a progress status update.

--
Fedora release 17 (Beefy Miracle) - Linux 3.4.6-2.fc17.x86_64
loadavg: 0.14 0.14 0.20

Phil Dobbin 07-29-2012 11:42 AM

installation fails

Michael Schwendt 07-29-2012 12:23 PM

installation fails

On Sun, 29 Jul 2012 12:42:56 +0100, Phil Dobbin wrote:

> I started using Fedora starting with Constantine & the hang always seems
> to happen at 'selinux-policy-targeted' which is understandable when
> using preupgrade but it happens also on a clean install which I did from
> 15 -> 16.
>
> It's usually around twenty minutes or so.

Depending on system speed. That's not a "hang", but the package scripts
being busy working on something. Look what it does:
rpm -q --scripts selinux-policy-targeted

And it's a different issue than the final step.

--
Fedora release 17 (Beefy Miracle) - Linux 3.4.6-2.fc17.x86_64
loadavg: 0.01 0.09 0.12

Heinz Diehl 07-29-2012 12:33 PM

installation fails

On 29.07.2012, Michael Schwendt wrote:

> Would be easy to submit a bug report or RFE.

Jepp, I'll do.

> There's one bug report already that complains about a missing Estimated
> Time value, but I could not find a ticket specifically covering the final
> Verification step of all installed packages.
>
> The progress bar calculation would need to become very elegant
[....]

I think a progress bar or otherwise increasing counter isn't necessary
at all. It would be sufficient if the user would be informed:

"Now the istalled packets will be verified. Depending on your installation, this
can take from a few minutes up to half an hour. Please stand by."

That's all it needs, telling the user that it's ok if the system
doesn't "do anything" for a longer time.