FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 07-28-2012, 11:27 AM
Reindl Harald
 
Default remake /dev

files and folders under /dev are normally created DYNAMICLY at boot

Am 28.07.2012 13:24, schrieb Christopher Svanefalk:
> Did you delete it by accident, or is something in particular missing? I do not know if there is a general procedure
> to reconstruct the whole directory unfortunately.
>
> Best,
>
> Christopher Svanefalk
>
>
>
> On Sat, Jul 28, 2012 at 12:27 PM, Patrick Dupre <pdupre@kegtux.org <mailtodupre@kegtux.org>> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> How can I remake the /dev ?
>
> Thank.
>
> --
> ==============================__================== ============__==========
> Patrick DUPRÉ | | email: pdupre@kegtux.org <mailtodupre@kegtux.org>
> ==============================__================== ============__==========
> --
> users mailing list
> users@lists.fedoraproject.org <mailto:users@lists.fedoraproject.org>
> To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
> https://admin.fedoraproject.__org/mailman/listinfo/users <https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users>
> Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/__Mailing_list_guidelines
> <http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines>
> Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
>
>
>
>

--

Reindl Harald
the lounge interactive design GmbH
A-1060 Vienna, Hofmühlgasse 17
CTO / CISO / Software-Development
p: +43 (1) 595 3999 33, m: +43 (676) 40 221 40
icq: 154546673, http://www.thelounge.net/

http://www.thelounge.net/signature.asc.what.htm

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
 
Old 07-28-2012, 12:50 PM
Veli-Pekka Kestilä
 
Default remake /dev

On 28.7.2012 15:07, Patrick Dupre wrote:

My idea what to repair the installation from another installation.
So, I mounted the defectuous installation, and I did a chroot to it.
It works except that I have an error message:
so such file or directory : /dev/urandom

Same thing when I make a yum --version
There is no files in /dev, I though that I should rebuild it


If you really need some device nodes in chroot environment you can run
after chroot, "MAKEDEV /dev/urandom" it should just create the device
(presuming the defective installation does still have MAKEDEV command in
sbin)


-vpk


--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
 
Old 07-28-2012, 01:39 PM
Patrick Dupre
 
Default remake /dev

On 2012-07-28 14:29, Ed Greshko wrote:

On 07/28/2012 08:07 PM, Patrick Dupre wrote:

My idea what to repair the installation from another installation.
So, I mounted the defectuous installation, and I did a chroot to it.
It works except that I have an error message:
so such file or directory : /dev/urandom

Same thing when I make a yum --version
There is no files in /dev, I though that I should rebuild it

Am I wrong?


Yes, you are wrong. If you mount a / file system there will be
nothing in /dev. That is normal. It gets populated during the boot
process and really doesn't exist on disk.

If you go to /dev on a working system the date/time of the entries
will be that of when the system was last booted, more or less.


OK.

I made a /dev/urandom and a /dev/null after a chroot and it seems fine.
Which command create the /dev/* at boot?
Is there anyway to repair the installation now that I run (after a
chroot)?


Thank


--
Never be afraid to laugh at yourself, after all, you could be missing
out on the joke of the century. -- Dame Edna Everage


--
================================================== ====================
Patrick DUPRÉ | | email: pdupre@kegtux.org
================================================== ====================
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
 
Old 07-28-2012, 01:57 PM
Bruno Wolff III
 
Default remake /dev

On Sat, Jul 28, 2012 at 15:39:17 +0200,
Patrick Dupre <pdupre@kegtux.org> wrote:


I made a /dev/urandom and a /dev/null after a chroot and it seems fine.
Which command create the /dev/* at boot?
Is there anyway to repair the installation now that I run (after a
chroot)?


If you are trying to do rescue in a change route, then what you want to do
is a bind mount. You'll probably also want /sys, /proc and maybe /run.


So for example if you were running a system from an initramfs or other kind
of rescue environment and the rootfs was on /dev/sda1, /boot was on /dev/sda2
and /home was on /dev/sda3 you might do the following:


mkdir /sysimage
mount /dev/sda1 /sysimage
mount -o bind /dev /sysimage/dev
mount -o bind /sys /sysimage/sys
mount -o bind /proc /sysimage/proc
mount -o bind /run /sysimage/run
mount /dev/sda2 /sysimage/boot
mount /dev/sda3 /sysimage/home
chroot /sysimage

At that point you should be able to run things like yum to repair the system.

You'll eventually want to relabel the system (once you have it working again).
You can touch /.autorelabel (in the chroot) to flag this to happen at the
next boot.

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
 
Old 07-28-2012, 03:06 PM
Patrick Dupre
 
Default remake /dev

On 2012-07-28 15:57, Bruno Wolff III wrote:

On Sat, Jul 28, 2012 at 15:39:17 +0200,

Hello,*

I still cannot boot directly on the damage installation
What is bizard is that the installer of fedora 16 can see the
installation

but not fedora 17.

How can I force fedora 17 to update the installation?

Thank.



I made a /dev/urandom and a /dev/null after a chroot and it seems
fine.

Which command create the /dev/* at boot?
Is there anyway to repair the installation now that I run (after a
chroot)?


If you are trying to do rescue in a change route, then what you want
to do is a bind mount. You'll probably also want /sys, /proc and
maybe

/run.

So for example if you were running a system from an initramfs or
other kind of rescue environment and the rootfs was on /dev/sda1,
/boot was on /dev/sda2 and /home was on /dev/sda3 you might do the
following:

mkdir /sysimage
mount /dev/sda1 /sysimage
mount -o bind /dev /sysimage/dev
mount -o bind /sys /sysimage/sys
mount -o bind /proc /sysimage/proc
mount -o bind /run /sysimage/run
mount /dev/sda2 /sysimage/boot
mount /dev/sda3 /sysimage/home
chroot /sysimage

At that point you should be able to run things like yum to repair the
system.


You'll eventually want to relabel the system (once you have it
working again). You can touch /.autorelabel (in the chroot) to flag
this to happen at the next boot.


--
================================================== ====================
Patrick DUPRÉ | | email: pdupre@kegtux.org
================================================== ====================
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
 
Old 07-28-2012, 03:09 PM
Bruno Wolff III
 
Default remake /dev

On Sat, Jul 28, 2012 at 17:06:33 +0200,
Patrick Dupre <pdupre@kegtux.org> wrote:

On 2012-07-28 15:57, Bruno Wolff III wrote:

On Sat, Jul 28, 2012 at 15:39:17 +0200,

Hello,*

I still cannot boot directly on the damage installation
What is bizard is that the installer of fedora 16 can see the
installation

but not fedora 17.

How can I force fedora 17 to update the installation?


It might make more sense to copy off what you want to keep and then do a
fresh install. It will probably be less work and is more likely to be done
correctly.

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
 
Old 07-28-2012, 03:39 PM
Aaron Konstam
 
Default remake /dev

On Sat, 2012-07-28 at 15:50 +0300, Veli-Pekka Kestilä wrote:
> On 28.7.2012 15:07, Patrick Dupre wrote:
> > My idea what to repair the installation from another installation.
> > So, I mounted the defectuous installation, and I did a chroot to it.
> > It works except that I have an error message:
> > so such file or directory : /dev/urandom
> >
> > Same thing when I make a yum --version
> > There is no files in /dev, I though that I should rebuild it
>
> If you really need some device nodes in chroot environment you can run
> after chroot, "MAKEDEV /dev/urandom" it should just create the device
> (presuming the defective installation does still have MAKEDEV command in
> sbin)
>
> -vpk
>
>

I thought of MAKEDEV but does not seem to exist anymore on the system.
--
================================================== =====================
Original thought is like original sin: both happened before you were
born to people you could not have possibly met. -- Fran Lebowitz,
"Social Studies"
================================================== =====================
Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam@sbcglobal.net

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
 
Old 07-28-2012, 09:46 PM
Veli-Pekka Kestilä
 
Default remake /dev

On 28.7.2012 18:39, Aaron Konstam wrote:

On Sat, 2012-07-28 at 15:50 +0300, Veli-Pekka Kestilä wrote:

On 28.7.2012 15:07, Patrick Dupre wrote:

So, I mounted the defectuous installation, and I did a chroot to it.
It works except that I have an error message:
so such file or directory : /dev/urandom


If you really need some device nodes in chroot environment you can run
after chroot, "MAKEDEV /dev/urandom" it should just create the device
(presuming the defective installation does still have MAKEDEV command in
sbin)

-vpk



I thought of MAKEDEV but does not seem to exist anymore on the system.

[root@localhost ~]# rpm -qf /sbin/MAKEDEV
MAKEDEV-3.24-10.fc17.x86_64

Atleast it seems to in the f17 system I have set up for doing some
virtualisation testing. Granted it wasn't in the default installation
and I had to install it manually. But you could have found this yourself
by just doing yum search makedev.


-vpk
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
 
Old 07-29-2012, 08:42 AM
Aaron Konstam
 
Default remake /dev

On Sun, 2012-07-29 at 00:46 +0300, Veli-Pekka Kestilä wrote:
> On 28.7.2012 18:39, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> > On Sat, 2012-07-28 at 15:50 +0300, Veli-Pekka Kestilä wrote:
> >> On 28.7.2012 15:07, Patrick Dupre wrote:
> >>> So, I mounted the defectuous installation, and I did a chroot to it.
> >>> It works except that I have an error message:
> >>> so such file or directory : /dev/urandom
> >>>
> >> If you really need some device nodes in chroot environment you can run
> >> after chroot, "MAKEDEV /dev/urandom" it should just create the device
> >> (presuming the defective installation does still have MAKEDEV command in
> >> sbin)
> >>
> >> -vpk
> >>
> >>
> > I thought of MAKEDEV but does not seem to exist anymore on the system.
> [root@localhost ~]# rpm -qf /sbin/MAKEDEV
> MAKEDEV-3.24-10.fc17.x86_64
>
> Atleast it seems to in the f17 system I have set up for doing some
> virtualisation testing. Granted it wasn't in the default installation
> and I had to install it manually. But you could have found this yourself
> by just doing yum search makedev.
>
> -vpk

You are correct but what is confusing is that makedev is on the system
even though MAKEDEV was not.
--
================================================== =====================
Athena Desktop Environment! In your hearts, you *know* it's the right
choice! * Knghtbrd THWAPS xtifr
================================================== =====================
Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam@sbcglobal.net

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
 
Old 07-30-2012, 08:30 AM
"Bryn M. Reeves"
 
Default remake /dev

On Sat, 2012-07-28 at 15:50 +0300, Veli-Pekka Kestilä wrote:
> On 28.7.2012 15:07, Patrick Dupre wrote:
> > My idea what to repair the installation from another installation.
> > So, I mounted the defectuous installation, and I did a chroot to it.
> > It works except that I have an error message:
> > so such file or directory : /dev/urandom
> >
> > Same thing when I make a yum --version
> > There is no files in /dev, I though that I should rebuild it
>
> If you really need some device nodes in chroot environment you can run
> after chroot, "MAKEDEV /dev/urandom" it should just create the device
> (presuming the defective installation does still have MAKEDEV command in
> sbin)

Or just bind mount the parent environment's file systems into the target
system before chrooting:

mount --bind /dev /mnt/sysimage/dev
mount --bind /proc /mnt/sysimage/proc
mount --bind /sys /mnt/sysimage/sys

Regards,
Bryn.


--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 06:38 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org