Old 07-24-2012, 01:37 AM
Fernando Cassia

Default Export restrictions legalese in Fedora scare would-be local mirror

On Mon, Jul 23, 2012 at 7:20 PM, jdow <jdow@earthlink.net> wrote:

> Remember what the old saw said about Yankee traders that they'd sell you
> the rope to hang them with? Well, if you think about it the Open Source
> ethos is to give them that rope with the source and instructions to make
> more rope. This strikes me as being just a skosh unwise.

Not sure I' m catching your drift JD.

FC

Old 07-25-2012, 10:17 PM
Ian Malone

On 23 July 2012 15:28, Fernando Cassia <fcassia@gmail.com> wrote:

> My half-italian genes kicked in and I wrote a somewhat unpolite email
> telling "oh rly?" and pointing at export restrictions legalese in
> the apache.org site too (that they mirror), along with the CentOS
> discussion.
>
> Result: he apologized and told me there would be a local mirror during
> the week.
> I also suggested them they could mirror it from Chilean or Brazilian
> existing mirrors so there would be no connection to US based
> servers...
>
> Sometimes carrying a hatchet works. )

Nice work!

--
imalone
http://ibmalone.blogspot.co.uk

Old 07-26-2012, 07:45 AM
Fernando Cassia

On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 7:17 PM, Ian Malone <ibmalone@gmail.com> wrote:
> Nice work!

Let's not open the champagne until the mirror is formal and announced.
Just looked and they seem to have run out of space while populating
the mirror, apparently they did a rsync of F1* so they got from 10 to
15 .

I have now emailed them with details about an exclude.txt and how to
exclude FCx to F15 and just mirror F16 and F17.

By the way, I think the normal site should put all obsoleted versions
under an /obsolete subdir...

Or conversely, put the actively supported releases under
/Fedora/current. Although I think the first approach is clearer.
That way no mirror would decide to mirror "obsolete" releases unless
they *really* intend to...

Whatd'ya think?.

FC

Old 07-26-2012, 07:47 AM
Fernando Cassia

On Thu, Jul 26, 2012 at 4:45 AM, Fernando Cassia <fcassia@gmail.com> wrote:
> , I think the normal site

sheesh, can't write before my morning coffee. I meant "the main site".

FC