Old 07-21-2012, 07:00 PM
sguazt

Default F17 takes so long to reboot/poweroff

Hello,

On my system, the boot phase takes only approximately 28 seconds but
both the reboot and shutdown phase take approximately 1 minute and 10
seconds.

This did not happen with F16.

Could someone help me to solve this issue?

Here below are my systemd services:

UNIT LOAD ACTIVE SUB JOB DESCRIPTION
abrt-ccpp.service loaded active exited Install ABRT coredump hook
abrt-oops.service loaded active running ABRT kernel log watcher
abrt-vmcore.service loaded active exited Harvest vmcores for ABRT
abrtd.service loaded active running ABRT Automated
Bug Reporting Tool
accounts-daemon.service loaded active running Accounts Service
acpid.service loaded active running ACPI Event Daemon
auditd.service loaded active running Security Auditing Service
colord-sane.service loaded active running Daemon for
monitoring attached scanners and registering them with colord
colord.service loaded active running Manage, Install
and Generate Color Profiles
console-kit-daemon.service loaded active running Console Manager
console-...m-start.service loaded active exited Console System
Startup Logging
crond.service loaded active running Command Scheduler
cups.service loaded active running CUPS Printing Service
dbus.service loaded active running D-Bus System Message Bus
fail2ban.service loaded active running SYSV: Fail2ban daemon
fedora-loadmodules.service loaded active exited Load legacy
module configuration
fedora-readonly.service loaded active exited Configure
read-only root support
fedora-s...it-late.service loaded active exited Initialize
storage subsystems (RAID, LVM, etc.)
fedora-s...ge-init.service loaded active exited Initialize
storage subsystems (RAID, LVM, etc.)
fedora-w...storage.service loaded active exited Wait for storage scan
ip6tables.service loaded active exited IPv6 firewall
with ip6tables
iptables.service loaded active exited IPv4 firewall with iptables
mcelog.service loaded active running Machine Check
Exception Logging Daemon
NetworkManager.service loaded active running Network Manager
prefdm.service loaded active running Display Manager
rsyslog.service loaded active running System Logging Service
rtkit-daemon.service loaded active running RealtimeKit
Scheduling Policy Service
sendmail.service loaded active running Sendmail Mail
Transport Agent
sm-client.service loaded active running Sendmail Mail
Transport Client
smartd.service loaded active running Self Monitoring
and Reporting Technology (SMART) Daemon
sshd.service loaded active running OpenSSH server daemon
system-s...eyboard.service loaded active running System Setup Keyboard
systemd-binfmt.service loaded active exited Set Up Additional
Binary Formats
systemd-journald.service loaded active running Journal Service
systemd-logind.service loaded active running Login Service
systemd-...collect.service loaded active exited Collect Read-Ahead Data
systemd-...-replay.service loaded active exited Replay Read-Ahead Data
systemd-remount-fs.service loaded active exited Remount Root and
Kernel File Systems
systemd-sysctl.service loaded active exited Apply Kernel Variables
systemd-...s-setup.service loaded active exited Recreate Volatile
Files and Directories
systemd-...essions.service loaded active exited Permit User Sessions
systemd-...e-setup.service loaded active exited Setup Virtual Console
tcsd.service loaded failed failed LSB: Init script for TCSD
udev-settle.service loaded active exited udev Wait for
Complete Device Initialization
udev-trigger.service loaded active exited udev Coldplug all Devices
udev.service loaded active running udev Kernel Device Manager
udisks2.service loaded active running Storage Daemon
upower.service loaded active running Daemon for power management

Thank you very much.

Best,

-- Marco

Old 07-24-2012, 05:56 AM
sguazt

On Sat, Jul 21, 2012 at 9:00 PM, sguazt <marco.guazzone@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On my system, the boot phase takes only approximately 28 seconds but
> both the reboot and shutdown phase take approximately 1 minute and 10
> seconds.
>
> This did not happen with F16.
>
> Could someone help me to solve this issue?
>
> Here below are my systemd services:

[cut]

> Thank you very much.

So, am I the only one facing this problem?

Any hint on what should I look for?

Thank you very much.

Best,

-- Marco

Old 07-24-2012, 05:39 PM
Richard Vickery

On Mon, Jul 23, 2012 at 10:56 PM, sguazt <marco.guazzone@gmail.com> wrote:

On Sat, Jul 21, 2012 at 9:00 PM, sguazt <marco.guazzone@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,

> On my system, the boot phase takes only approximately 28 seconds but

> both the reboot and shutdown phase take approximately 1 minute and 10

> seconds.

> This did not happen with F16.

> Could someone help me to solve this issue?

> Here below are my systemd services:

[cut]

> Thank you very much.

So, am I the only one facing this problem?

Any hint on what should I look for?

Thank you very much.

Best,

-- Marco

My 2 cents:
Why do you need to reboot? What are you doing at power-off that you need to hang around and wait for it? If a portable computer, just close it, pack it away before the lights go out, and walk away?*and is a minute and 38 seconds really SO important? If this*minuscule*amount time is so important, you could retire and get more of your minute and a half.*

Regards.

Old 07-24-2012, 06:30 PM
sguazt

On Tue, Jul 24, 2012 at 7:39 PM, Richard Vickery
<richard.vickeryrv@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 23, 2012 at 10:56 PM, sguazt <marco.guazzone@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, Jul 21, 2012 at 9:00 PM, sguazt <marco.guazzone@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Hello,
>> >
>> > On my system, the boot phase takes only approximately 28 seconds but
>> > both the reboot and shutdown phase take approximately 1 minute and 10
>> > seconds.
>> >
>> > This did not happen with F16.
>> >
>> > Could someone help me to solve this issue?
>> >
>> > Here below are my systemd services:
>> >

>> [cut]
>>
>> > Thank you very much.
>> >

>> So, am I the only one facing this problem?
>>
>> Any hint on what should I look for?
>>
>> Thank you very much.
>>
>> Best,
>>
>> -- Marco
>

> My 2 cents:
>
> Why do you need to reboot? What are you doing at power-off that you need to
> hang around and wait for it? If a portable computer, just close it, pack it
> away before the lights go out, and walk away? and is a minute and 38 seconds
> really SO important? If this minuscule amount time is so important, you
> could retire and get more of your minute and a half.

Hi Richard,

I need to reboot/power-off mainly for 2 reasons:
1. I have a dual-boot system (Linux+Win)
2. The battery of my laptop has low capacity

For what concerns the 1min and 38sec, it's not an infinity but IMHO is
a very long time if I compare it with F16 (that was installed on the
same laptop).

Cheers,

-- Marco

Old 07-25-2012, 04:51 AM
Richard Vickery

On Tue, Jul 24, 2012 at 11:30 AM, sguazt <marco.guazzone@gmail.com> wrote:

On Tue, Jul 24, 2012 at 7:39 PM, Richard Vickery

<richard.vickeryrv@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 23, 2012 at 10:56 PM, sguazt <marco.guazzone@gmail.com> wrote:

>> On Sat, Jul 21, 2012 at 9:00 PM, sguazt <marco.guazzone@gmail.com> wrote:

>> > Hello,

>> > On my system, the boot phase takes only approximately 28 seconds but

>> > both the reboot and shutdown phase take approximately 1 minute and 10

>> > seconds.

>> > This did not happen with F16.

>> > Could someone help me to solve this issue?

>> > Here below are my systemd services:

>> [cut]

>> > Thank you very much.

>> So, am I the only one facing this problem?

>> Any hint on what should I look for?

>> Thank you very much.

>> Best,

>> -- Marco

> My 2 cents:

> Why do you need to reboot? What are you doing at power-off that you need to

> hang around and wait for it? If a portable computer, just close it, pack it

> away before the lights go out, and walk away? and is a minute and 38 seconds

> really SO important? If this minuscule amount time is so important, you

> could retire and get more of your minute and a half.

Hi Richard,

I need to reboot/power-off mainly for 2 reasons:

1. I have a dual-boot system (Linux+Win)

2. The battery of my laptop has low capacity

For what concerns the 1min and 38sec, it's not an infinity but IMHO is

a very long time if I compare it with F16 (that was installed on the

same laptop).

Cheers,

-- Marco

So is it crashing that you are worried about? My main, though unstated, point was that, at least in my opinion, time for bootup is not a concern in the Linux world. I think our concern has more to do with making a safe, secure,*unbreakable*computing environment. Because of the name - Beefy Miracle - I don't think we care about the time it takes to boot up as long as it works. It's just my opinion, and I could be wrong.

Old 07-25-2012, 05:15 AM
Richard Vickery

On Tue, Jul 24, 2012 at 7:39 PM, Richard Vickery

<richard.vickeryrv@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 23, 2012 at 10:56 PM, sguazt <marco.guazzone@gmail.com> wrote:

>> On Sat, Jul 21, 2012 at 9:00 PM, sguazt <marco.guazzone@gmail.com> wrote:

>> > Hello,

>> > On my system, the boot phase takes only approximately 28 seconds but

>> > both the reboot and shutdown phase take approximately 1 minute and 10

>> > seconds.

>> > This did not happen with F16.

>> > Could someone help me to solve this issue?

>> > Here below are my systemd services:

>> [cut]

>> > Thank you very much.

>> So, am I the only one facing this problem?

>> Any hint on what should I look for?

>> Thank you very much.

>> Best,

>> -- Marco

> My 2 cents:

> Why do you need to reboot? What are you doing at power-off that you need to

> hang around and wait for it? If a portable computer, just close it, pack it

> away before the lights go out, and walk away? and is a minute and 38 seconds

> really SO important? If this minuscule amount time is so important, you

> could retire and get more of your minute and a half.

Hi Richard,

I need to reboot/power-off mainly for 2 reasons:

1. I have a dual-boot system (Linux+Win)

2. The battery of my laptop has low capacity

For what concerns the 1min and 38sec, it's not an infinity but IMHO is

a very long time if I compare it with F16 (that was installed on the

same laptop).

Cheers,

-- Marco

So is it crashing that you are worried about? My main, though unstated, point was that, at least in my opinion, time for bootup is not a concern in the Linux world. I think our concern has more to do with making a safe, secure,*unbreakable*computing environment. Because of the name - Beefy Miracle - I don't think we care about the time it takes to boot up as long as it works. It's just my opinion, and I could be wrong.

If you really need it to boot up faster, it is possible to go into /boot and stop grub from calling up as many things, but it is inadvisable; you could end up screwing things badly enough that the computer will not boot into the current installation anymore.

Old 07-25-2012, 06:00 AM
Mateusz Marzantowicz

On 25.07.2012 06:51, Richard Vickery
[...]

I'm not convinced that boot up time is irrelevant. Maybe for some
use cases it isn't but for other it is very important that your
system boots as quick as possible. Besides, why should I (poor
computer user) waste my time waiting while my system is performing
internal tasks such as start up and shutdown? In a perfect world
there are no such things as boot up/shutdown, you just touch the
muse or press a key or open up a lid in your notebook and the system
is there ready for you. Wasn't this the reason why computing has
evolved in last 40 years?

Mateusz Marzantowicz

Old 07-25-2012, 06:24 AM
Richard Vickery

[...]

You are completely free to remove those programs that waste the time that grub calls up.*

Old 07-25-2012, 06:44 AM
Heinz Diehl

On 21.07.2012, sguazt wrote:

> On my system, the boot phase takes only approximately 28 seconds but
> both the reboot and shutdown phase take approximately 1 minute and 10
> seconds.

I bet it's systemd which causes the long shutdown. In my case, it
hangs the shutdown/reboot for several minutes with several timeouts in
about 20% of all shutdowns/reboots. This wasn't any issue with
F15/F16 and came with F17. Didn't manage to track it down and will
file a bug report soon..

Old 07-25-2012, 07:39 AM
sguazt

On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 7:15 AM, Richard Vickery
<richard.vickeryrv@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 24, 2012 at 9:51 PM, Richard Vickery
> <richard.vickeryrv@gmail.com> wrote:
[cut]

> If you really need it to boot up faster, it is possible to go into /boot and
> stop grub from calling up as many things, but it is inadvisable; you could
> end up screwing things badly enough that the computer will not boot into the
> current installation anymore.

Boot time is rather OK. It's the shutdown/reboot time that IMO is too long.
In the timing I reported the shutdown/reboot time refers to the time
when I issue the poweroff/reboot command and the system turns off or
shows the first "BIOS" screen (the one that appears before GRUB)

So, for instance, in case of a reboot you have to wait more than 2 min, that is:
- 1min and 40sec to let the system power off
- 30 sec to let the system boot

Cheers,

-- Marco