Old 07-25-2012, 07:40 AM
sguazt

Default F17 takes so long to reboot/poweroff

On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 8:44 AM, Heinz Diehl <htd@fritha.org> wrote:
> On 21.07.2012, sguazt wrote:
>
>> On my system, the boot phase takes only approximately 28 seconds but
>> both the reboot and shutdown phase take approximately 1 minute and 10
>> seconds.
>
> I bet it's systemd which causes the long shutdown. In my case, it
> hangs the shutdown/reboot for several minutes with several timeouts in
> about 20% of all shutdowns/reboots. This wasn't any issue with
> F15/F16 and came with F17. Didn't manage to track it down and will
> file a bug report soon..

Thank you.
Let me know when you have filed the bug so that I add myself to the CC's

Cheers,

-- Marco

Old 07-25-2012, 08:35 AM
Reindl Harald

Am 24.07.2012 19:39, schrieb Richard Vickery:
> Why do you need to reboot? What are you doing at power-off that you need to hang around and wait for it? If a
> portable computer, just close it, pack it away before the lights go out, and walk away? and is a minute and 38
> seconds really SO important? If this minuscule amount time is so important, you could retire and get more of your
> minute and a half.

strange argumentation

it does not matter WHY someone reboots a machine
nor is not reboot a solution for any problem

rebooting a remote-machine after updates which is not
important enough to set up remote KVM as example is
not funny if you have to wait a long time without feedback

Old 07-25-2012, 08:49 AM
Bob Marcan

On Wed, 25 Jul 2012 08:00:11 +0200
Mateusz Marzantowicz <mmarzantowicz@osdf.com.pl> wrote:

> I'm not convinced that boot up time is irrelevant. Maybe for some use
> cases it isn't but for other it is very important that your system boots
> as quick as possible. Besides, why should I (poor computer user) waste
> my time waiting while my system is performing internal tasks such as
> start up and shutdown? In a perfect world there are no such things as
> boot up/shutdown, you just touch the muse or press a key or open up a
> lid in your notebook and the system is there ready for you. Wasn't this
> the reason why computing has evolved in last 40 years?
>

> Mateusz Marzantowicz

In not so perfect world:
When i start my car, i'm waiting until all test are performed and
red lights are turning off.
BR, Bob

Old 07-25-2012, 09:10 AM
"Eddie G.O'Connor Jr-I"

I'm not convinced that boot up time is irrelevant. Maybe for some use
cases it isn't but for other it is very important that your system boots
as quick as possible. Besides, why should I (poor computer user) waste
my time waiting while my system is performing internal tasks such as
start up and shutdown? In a perfect world there are no such things as
boot up/shutdown, you just touch the muse or press a key or open up a
lid in your notebook and the system is there ready for you. Wasn't this
the reason why computing has evolved in last 40 years?

Mateusz Marzantowicz

In not so perfect world:
When i start my car, i'm waiting until all test are performed and
red lights are turning off.
BR, Bob

I would think that the speed with which a system starts up / shuts down
would be dependent upon what the machine was built to do. If you've got
a computer that's being used in a corporate environment, it might make
it more efficient, help the "core values" of the business and just be a
machine easier to administer if it's got a quick startup/shutdown time.
On the other hand if its just for personal use, and depending on if
you're running some application that is critical to you, then the times
might not be as important as actually having the applications and the
programs on the computer working. Just my 2 cents.

EGO II

Old 07-25-2012, 04:10 PM
Richard Vickery

Am 24.07.2012 19:39, schrieb Richard Vickery:

> Why do you need to reboot? What are you doing at power-off that you need to hang around and wait for it? If a

> portable computer, just close it, pack it away before the lights go out, and walk away? and is a minute and 38

> seconds really SO important? If this minuscule amount time is so important, you could retire and get more of your

> minute and a half.

strange argumentation

it does not matter WHY someone reboots a machine

nor is not reboot a solution for any problem

rebooting a remote-machine after updates which is not

important enough to set up remote KVM as example is

not funny if you have to wait a long time without feedback

My point here is taken out of out of its context: it was not rebooting I was concerned about, but that the world is not going to end in a minute and a half. Included in my concern were many things: one was to get someone with more knowledge than I to help this gentleman - I have stated before that I am a political scientist, not a real one (sorry if I offend any other political scientists here, that is not my purpose); another concern is that when I used MS stuff, I was concerned and fearful about a longer wait periods because of their crashing occurrences, and in Linux waiting is no big deal because Linux does what it is supposed to do versus MS Windows which teaches an individual to freak out when the computer does something like that in question; another concern is that I am, and cannot un-become over-night, nor would I want to, a qigong master who doesn't worry about time - and this is why mine is, as Harald says, a "strange argument"; everything the qigong practitioner is, is strange to those who don't practice.

Best regards,

Old 07-25-2012, 05:48 PM
Rick Stevens

On 07/25/2012 12:39 AM, sguazt issued this missive::

On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 7:15 AM, Richard Vickery