Old 07-19-2012, 12:06 PM
Mark Haney

Default HOWTO update F17 machine with no internet access

I'm sure this has been answered before, but I'm having trouble finding
it. Mainly due to the fact I'm not entirely sure what to search for.
Anyway, I've got a F17 system, which, for various reasons, does not have
internet access. It does sit on a small wireless LAN, however.

What I need is a HOWTO or pointers on how I can keep this system
updated. I've never encountered this situation before so I don't know
what's the best way to handle this with the current software.

--

Mark Haney
Software Developer/Consultant

Old 07-19-2012, 12:27 PM
Sam Varshavchik

Mark Haney writes:

I'm sure this has been answered before, but I'm having trouble finding it.
Mainly due to the fact I'm not entirely sure what to search for. Anyway,
I've got a F17 system, which, for various reasons, does not have internet
access. It does sit on a small wireless LAN, however.

What I need is a HOWTO or pointers on how I can keep this system updated.
I've never encountered this situation before so I don't know what's the best
way to handle this with the current software.

Pick your favorite mirror, and rsync its updates directly, to a flash drive,
or something similar. Set enabled=0 in everything in /etc/yum.conf.d, then
just copy one of the configs and point it to the mount point of the flash drive.

Each time after you rsync the updates directory, mount the flash drive, and
just run 'yum update'.

If another machine on your wireless lan has internet connectivity, you can
just rsync updates somewhere in /var/www/html on that machine, then point
your config to this url, as the update source.

Old 07-19-2012, 01:01 PM
Mark Haney

Pick your favorite mirror, and rsync its updates directly, to a flash
drive, or something similar. Set enabled=0 in everything in
/etc/yum.conf.d, then just copy one of the configs and point it to the
mount point of the flash drive.

Each time after you rsync the updates directory, mount the flash drive,
and just run 'yum update'.

If another machine on your wireless lan has internet connectivity, you
can just rsync updates somewhere in /var/www/html on that machine, then
point your config to this url, as the update source.

I was actually thinking along those lines, but wanted to see if there
were other (or better) options that I wasn't aware of. Thanks for that.

Old 07-19-2012, 02:17 PM
Aaron Konstam

On Thu, 2012-07-19 at 08:27 -0400, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> Mark Haney writes:
>
> > I'm sure this has been answered before, but I'm having trouble finding it.
> > Mainly due to the fact I'm not entirely sure what to search for. Anyway,
> > I've got a F17 system, which, for various reasons, does not have internet
> > access. It does sit on a small wireless LAN, however.
> >
> > What I need is a HOWTO or pointers on how I can keep this system updated.
> > I've never encountered this situation before so I don't know what's the best
> > way to handle this with the current software.
>
> Pick your favorite mirror, and rsync its updates directly, to a flash drive,
> or something similar. Set enabled=0 in everything in /etc/yum.conf.d, then
> just copy one of the configs and point it to the mount point of the flash drive.
What is the meaning of configs in the above sentence?

Old 07-19-2012, 06:17 PM
James Wilkinson

Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> Pick your favorite mirror, and rsync its updates directly, to a flash drive,
> or something similar. Set enabled=0 in everything in /etc/yum.conf.d, then
> just copy one of the configs and point it to the mount point of the flash drive.

Aaron Konstam asked:
> What is the meaning of configs in the above sentence?

I’m not Sam, but I suspect he meant copy one of the configuration files
in /etc/yum.repos.d : I’d choose /etc/yum.repos.d/fedora-updates.repo .

In the updates section, comment out the mirrorlist= line with a # and
uncomment the baseurl= line. Then change the http:// to a file:/// , and
add the path to the updates.

He didn’t specify this, but you might or might not need to run
createrepo each time, depending on quite what you do rsync.

Hope this helps,

James.

--
E-mail: james@ | It is difficult to produce a television documentary that
aprilcottage.co.uk | is both incisive and probing when every twelve minutes

Old 07-19-2012, 10:18 PM
suvayu ali

On Thu, Jul 19, 2012 at 2:06 PM, Mark Haney <markh@abemblem.com> wrote:
> I'm sure this has been answered before, but I'm having trouble finding it.
> Mainly due to the fact I'm not entirely sure what to search for. Anyway,
> I've got a F17 system, which, for various reasons, does not have internet
> access. It does sit on a small wireless LAN, however.

I believe packagekit has a "service pack" functionality just for this
kind of use. As far as I know the way it works is, you create a
service pack on a machine with internet connection and then use that
to update other machines offline.

Disclaimer: I have not tried this myself.

--
Suvayu

Old 07-19-2012, 10:39 PM
Zoltan Hoppar

Hi guys,

I have tried, and used it several times. You have to install
gnome-packagekit-extra - and you receive an small util that able to
collect dependencies for an computer. The key is - that both computer
must have this tiny util, to generate lists, and the diff will be the
update in one single rpm. The problem lies within the details, because
most of our rpm's are not containing always every dependency for some
reason. But - sometimes - if this function evolves to BTRFS,
alltogether with smolt, drivers profiling that will be awesome.

But readme to this function is here:
http://www.packagekit.org/pk-faq.html#service-pack

2012/7/20 suvayu ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com>:
> On Thu, Jul 19, 2012 at 2:06 PM, Mark Haney <markh@abemblem.com> wrote:
>> I'm sure this has been answered before, but I'm having trouble finding it.
>> Mainly due to the fact I'm not entirely sure what to search for. Anyway,
>> I've got a F17 system, which, for various reasons, does not have internet
>> access. It does sit on a small wireless LAN, however.
>
> I believe packagekit has a "service pack" functionality just for this
> kind of use. As far as I know the way it works is, you create a
> service pack on a machine with internet connection and then use that
> to update other machines offline.
>
> Disclaimer: I have not tried this myself.
>
> --
> Suvayu

PGP: 06853DF7