Old 07-19-2012, 10:00 AM
Aero Maxx

Default Raid 1/10 on Fedora 15 and /var full

Hi Everyone,

I have a raid 1/10 setup working great doing what it does, but the /var
partition which I wasn't aware of until now is where my mysql database
are stored and this isn't on the raid 10, thats not that much of an
issue, I would be gutted if I lost the data though, but the main issue
is that its now become full.

Where you recommend for this /var to be put, or should I just make that
partition bigger ? for it to be raided that would be very nice.

Thanks
Daniel.

Old 07-19-2012, 10:04 AM
Reindl Harald

Am 19.07.2012 12:00, schrieb Aero Maxx:
> I have a raid 1/10 setup working great doing what it does, but the /var partition which I wasn't aware of until now
> is where my mysql database are stored and this isn't on the raid 10, thats not that much of an issue, I would be
> gutted if I lost the data though, but the main issue is that its now become full.
>
> Where you recommend for this /var to be put, or should I just make that partition bigger ? for it to be raided that
> would be very nice.

i usually have a very small / and things like mysql-data
on a own RAID10 mounted under /data where are nearly all
non-system-data and /var/log as bind-mount on the data-partition

this way / does not get filled and if the OS should be reinstalled
i have not to care about backup data

Old 07-19-2012, 10:08 AM
Ed Greshko

On 07/19/2012 06:00 PM, Aero Maxx wrote:
> I have a raid 1/10 setup working great doing what it does, but the /var partition
> which I wasn't aware of until now is where my mysql database are stored and this
> isn't on the raid 10, thats not that much of an issue, I would be gutted if I lost
> the data though, but the main issue is that its now become full.
>
> Where you recommend for this /var to be put, or should I just make that partition
> bigger ? for it to be raided that would be very nice.

Actually, if I were running mysql I would configure it to have my databases on a
partition that doesn't get affected by upgrades.

For example, I run plenty of VirtualBox VM's and I keep them on /opt/VMs. That way
it is easy to exclude them when doing an install of the next version of
fedora....much like having /home on its own partition.

of the century. -- Dame Edna Everage

Old 07-19-2012, 10:48 AM
Aero Maxx

I have a raid 1/10 setup working great doing what it does, but the /var partition
which I wasn't aware of until now is where my mysql database are stored and this
isn't on the raid 10, thats not that much of an issue, I would be gutted if I lost
the data though, but the main issue is that its now become full.

Where you recommend for this /var to be put, or should I just make that partition
bigger ? for it to be raided that would be very nice.

Actually, if I were running mysql I would configure it to have my databases on a
partition that doesn't get affected by upgrades.

For example, I run plenty of VirtualBox VM's and I keep them on /opt/VMs. That way
it is easy to exclude them when doing an install of the next version of
fedora....much like having /home on its own partition.

I understand the concept, although am a little confused as to how I
would achieve this, my databases at the moment are in /var/lib/mysql

Old 07-19-2012, 12:25 PM
Mat Kovach

Aero Maxx wrote:
> On 19/07/2012 11:08, Ed Greshko wrote:
> >On 07/19/2012 06:00 PM, Aero Maxx wrote:
> >>I have a raid 1/10 setup working great doing what it does, but the /var partition
> >>which I wasn't aware of until now is where my mysql database are stored and this
> >>isn't on the raid 10, thats not that much of an issue, I would be gutted if I lost
> >>the data though, but the main issue is that its now become full.
> >>
> >>Where you recommend for this /var to be put, or should I just make that partition
> >>bigger ? for it to be raided that would be very nice.
> >Actually, if I were running mysql I would configure it to have my databases on a
> >partition that doesn't get affected by upgrades.
> >
> >For example, I run plenty of VirtualBox VM's and I keep them on /opt/VMs. That way
> >it is easy to exclude them when doing an install of the next version of
> >fedora....much like having /home on its own partition.
> >

> I understand the concept, although am a little confused as to how I
> would achieve this, my databases at the moment are in /var/lib/mysql

You could create a directory on your raid'd filesystem, for sake of
argument let call it /raidedfilesystem and move the mysql files there:

- mkdir /raidedfilesystem/{db,backup}
- service stop mysqld
- chown root:root /raidedfilesystem/backup
- chmod 770 /radided/filesystem/backup
- tar czvfp /raidedfilesystem/backup/pre-move-var-lib-mysql-backup.tgz
/var/lib/mysql
- chmod 770 /raidedfilesystem/backup/pre-move-var-lib-mysql-backup.tgz
- cd /var/lib; find mysql | cpio -pmudv /raidedfilesystem/db
- mv /var/lib/mysql /var/lib/mysql.orig
- ln -s /radidedfilesystem/db/mysql /var/lib
- service start mysqld

Once you have verified that everything is working as expected feel free
to dispose of /var/lib/mysql.orig and the tgz backup as you wish. If this
do not work correctly, you have to solutions to restore.

/mek