FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 07-18-2012, 07:40 AM
Shibi
 
Default Gnome 3 Copy Progress Bar

Hi
in F17 when I Try to copy files to my USB stick copy progress window destroys soon before copy completed (In external Hard drive it is not a problem because the copy progress is far less time consuming than usb flash drives), in F16 progress bar was showing complete copy but it wasn't being destroyed untill the end of copy process. is this a gnome 3 bug or i can do something on my system to fix it?

--
Shahab Shahsavari Alavidjeh
-----------------------------------------
شهاب شهسواری علویجه
ـــــــــــــــــــــــــ ـــــــــــــــــــــــــ ـــ
Weblog: http://piamak.wordpress.com


Twitter: http://twitter.com/zzgraph
====================


--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
 
Old 07-18-2012, 01:31 PM
Dokuro
 
Default Gnome 3 Copy Progress Bar

I made a similar observation, where the file being copied was not over
but the progress bar disappeared, you could still notice activity on
the USB drive and if unmounted a dialog would show up, with no
progress bar, that there where still jobs pending on the drive, this
does not feel intuitive at all.. why is this?

On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 3:10 AM, Shibi <zzgraph@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
> in F17 when I Try to copy files to my USB stick copy progress window
> destroys soon before copy completed (In external Hard drive it is not a
> problem because the copy progress is far less time consuming than usb flash
> drives), in F16 progress bar was showing complete copy but it wasn't being
> destroyed untill the end of copy process. is this a gnome 3 bug or i can do
> something on my system to fix it?
>
> --
> Shahab Shahsavari Alavidjeh
> -----------------------------------------
> شهاب شهسواری علویجه
> ـــــــــــــــــــــــــ ـــــــــــــــــــــــــ ـــ
> Weblog: http://piamak.wordpress.com
>
> Twitter: http://twitter.com/zzgraph
> ====================
>
>
> --
> users mailing list
> users@lists.fedoraproject.org
> To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
> https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
> Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
> Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
>



--
OS: http://fedoraproject.org/es/ - http://www.linuxmint.com/
Graficos: http://www.blender.org - http://www.gimp.org
Musica: http://www.jamendo.com - http://www.openoctave.org/
Recetas: http://www.recetas-sencillas.com/ -
Politica: http://www.fsfla.org/svnwiki/ - http://www.gnu.org/
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
 
Old 07-19-2012, 11:39 AM
Tim
 
Default Gnome 3 Copy Progress Bar

On Wed, 2012-07-18 at 09:01 -0430, Dokuro wrote:
> I made a similar observation, where the file being copied was not over
> but the progress bar disappeared, you could still notice activity on
> the USB drive and if unmounted a dialog would show up, with no
> progress bar, that there where still jobs pending on the drive, this
> does not feel intuitive at all.. why is this?

File has been transferred to the disc caching, but the cache hasn't
transferred to the media?

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

Don't send private replies to my address, the mailbox is ignored. I
read messages from the public lists.



--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
 
Old 07-19-2012, 02:38 PM
Dokuro
 
Default Gnome 3 Copy Progress Bar

On Thu, Jul 19, 2012 at 7:09 AM, Tim <ignored_mailbox@yahoo.com.au> wrote:
> On Wed, 2012-07-18 at 09:01 -0430, Dokuro wrote:
>> I made a similar observation, where the file being copied was not over
>> but the progress bar disappeared, you could still notice activity on
>> the USB drive and if unmounted a dialog would show up, with no
>> progress bar, that there where still jobs pending on the drive, this
>> does not feel intuitive at all.. why is this?
>
> File has been transferred to the disc caching, but the cache hasn't
> transferred to the media?
>

might be...


> --
> [tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
> 2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686
>
> Don't send private replies to my address, the mailbox is ignored. I
> read messages from the public lists.
>
>
>
> --
> users mailing list
> users@lists.fedoraproject.org
> To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
> https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
> Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
> Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org



--
OS: http://fedoraproject.org/es/ - http://www.linuxmint.com/
Graficos: http://www.blender.org - http://www.gimp.org
Musica: http://www.jamendo.com - http://www.openoctave.org/
Recetas: http://www.recetas-sencillas.com/ -
Politica: http://www.fsfla.org/svnwiki/ - http://www.gnu.org/
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
 
Old 07-20-2012, 07:45 AM
Shibi
 
Default Gnome 3 Copy Progress Bar

File has been transferred to the disc caching, but the cache hasn't

transferred to the media?


the copy dialog is destroyed as soon as transfer to cache is being completed, but file transfer from cache to media is still going on while there is no indication of it on screen.



--
Shahab Shahsavari Alavidjeh
-----------------------------------------
شهاب شهسواری علویجه
ـــــــــــــــــــــــــ ـــــــــــــــــــــــــ ـــ
Weblog: http://piamak.wordpress.com


Twitter: http://twitter.com/zzgraph
====================


--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
 
Old 07-20-2012, 09:28 AM
Ian Malone
 
Default Gnome 3 Copy Progress Bar

On 20 July 2012 08:45, Shibi <zzgraph@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>
>> File has been transferred to the disc caching, but the cache hasn't
>> transferred to the media?
>>
> the copy dialog is destroyed as soon as transfer to cache is being
> completed, but file transfer from cache to media is still going on while
> there is no indication of it on screen.
>

This might be something that needs improved, if you don't notice or
your device doesn't have a transfer light (some USB sticks might not
and on other devices it's less obvious) then you could end up taking
it out while data is still writing. It's not uncommon to find yourself
copying files while in a hurry.

--
imalone
http://ibmalone.blogspot.co.uk
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
 
Old 07-20-2012, 12:19 PM
Tim
 
Default Gnome 3 Copy Progress Bar

Shibi:
>> the copy dialog is destroyed as soon as transfer to cache is being
>> completed, but file transfer from cache to media is still going on while
>> there is no indication of it on screen.


Ian Malone:
> This might be something that needs improved, if you don't notice or
> your device doesn't have a transfer light (some USB sticks might not
> and on other devices it's less obvious) then you could end up taking
> it out while data is still writing. It's not uncommon to find yourself
> copying files while in a hurry.

Though... You should be unmounting a drive before removal, not just
waiting for a write to finish. And there should be some indication of
when its safe to remove, rather than just ripping out when you think
enough time has passed. Whether that be a specific "it is safe to
remove" written prompt, or seeing the devices icon disappear from the
desktop.

Having said all that, I much prefer how another OS I used to work,
worked. Writes to drives were completely completed (file written to the
disc, plus the directory data updated) in one go, and you could pull a
disc out moments later. There was no mounting or unmounting. And
drives like USB memory sticks would be well served if they could work
that way, since people do pull them out without going through a dismount
process.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

Don't send private replies to my address, the mailbox is ignored. I
read messages from the public lists.



--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
 
Old 07-20-2012, 12:52 PM
Mateusz Marzantowicz
 
Default Gnome 3 Copy Progress Bar

On 20.07.2012 11:28, Ian Malone wrote:
> On 20 July 2012 08:45, Shibi <zzgraph@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> File has been transferred to the disc caching, but the cache hasn't
>>> transferred to the media?
>>>
>> the copy dialog is destroyed as soon as transfer to cache is being
>> completed, but file transfer from cache to media is still going on while
>> there is no indication of it on screen.
>>
> This might be something that needs improved, if you don't notice or
> your device doesn't have a transfer light (some USB sticks might not
> and on other devices it's less obvious) then you could end up taking
> it out while data is still writing. It's not uncommon to find yourself
> copying files while in a hurry.
>

This is why USB sticks should be unmounted first (safely removed). It's
a bad habit to just unplug your stick.

This dangerous situation might be avoided by disabling cache for all USB
sticks but I have no idea how to set this up.


Mateusz Marzantowicz
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
 
Old 07-20-2012, 01:33 PM
Ian Malone
 
Default Gnome 3 Copy Progress Bar

On 20 July 2012 13:52, Mateusz Marzantowicz <mmarzantowicz@osdf.com.pl> wrote:
> On 20.07.2012 11:28, Ian Malone wrote:
>> On 20 July 2012 08:45, Shibi <zzgraph@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>>> File has been transferred to the disc caching, but the cache hasn't
>>>> transferred to the media?
>>>>
>>> the copy dialog is destroyed as soon as transfer to cache is being
>>> completed, but file transfer from cache to media is still going on while
>>> there is no indication of it on screen.
>>>
>> This might be something that needs improved, if you don't notice or
>> your device doesn't have a transfer light (some USB sticks might not
>> and on other devices it's less obvious) then you could end up taking
>> it out while data is still writing. It's not uncommon to find yourself
>> copying files while in a hurry.
>>
>
> This is why USB sticks should be unmounted first (safely removed). It's
> a bad habit to just unplug your stick.
>

Entirely true and also sometimes possible to forget. As a different
bug F16 has a habit of remounting sticks if you don't remove them
quickly enough so even then you need to be careful.

--
imalone
http://ibmalone.blogspot.co.uk
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
 
Old 07-20-2012, 05:59 PM
Joe Zeff
 
Default Gnome 3 Copy Progress Bar

On 07/20/2012 02:28 AM, Ian Malone wrote:

This might be something that needs improved, if you don't notice or
your device doesn't have a transfer light (some USB sticks might not
and on other devices it's less obvious) then you could end up taking
it out while data is still writing. It's not uncommon to find yourself
copying files while in a hurry.


If you do things properly, you always unmount/eject the drive first and
the OS shouldn't allow that to happen until all writes are complete. If
you don't do things properly and lose data, you got exactly what you
deserved.

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 11:15 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org