Old 07-17-2012, 09:14 PM
Suvayu Ali

Default Mutt over intermittent connection

Hi everyone,

I have another Mutt question. I am using OfflineIMAP to sync my Gmail
account to a maildir. I read my email from this maildir. However I still
use the Gmail smtp servers. Since this is on a laptop, the network
connection changes a lot; sometimes I am on a wired network, sometimes
on different wireless networks. I observe that after a connection change
mutt cannot send emails anymore. It fails with "Cannot find
smtp.gmail.com". However it works again once I have restarted Mutt.

Any ideas?

--
Suvayu

Old 07-18-2012, 10:00 AM
Heinz Diehl

On 18.07.2012, Suvayu Ali wrote:

> I observe that after a connection change
> mutt cannot send emails anymore. It fails with "Cannot find
> smtp.gmail.com". However it works again once I have restarted Mutt.

I've never used mutt to connect directly to a mailserver (I run my own
local postfix) and have therefore no experience in doing so.

In this case, when you have established a valid internet connection,
it should work fr mutt to resolve smtp.gmail.com and connect to it. I
would examine first if this is a dns/resolver problem (dig
smtp.gmail.com), and if it isn't, a tcptraceroute to smtp.gmail.com
and the port it uses should make you see where/what blocks the
packets.

Old 07-18-2012, 12:43 PM
"Paul W. Frields"

On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 12:00:24PM +0200, Heinz Diehl wrote:
> On 18.07.2012, Suvayu Ali wrote:
>
> > I observe that after a connection change
> > mutt cannot send emails anymore. It fails with "Cannot find
> > smtp.gmail.com". However it works again once I have restarted Mutt.
>
> I've never used mutt to connect directly to a mailserver (I run my own
> local postfix) and have therefore no experience in doing so.
>
> In this case, when you have established a valid internet connection,
> it should work fr mutt to resolve smtp.gmail.com and connect to it. I
> would examine first if this is a dns/resolver problem (dig
> smtp.gmail.com), and if it isn't, a tcptraceroute to smtp.gmail.com
> and the port it uses should make you see where/what blocks the
> packets.

Heinz, I think you may find that running your own local mail server --
which can, itself, connect to other mail servers when connections are
up -- may solve your problem.

http://paul.frields.org/2009/07/12/best-in-show/
http://paul.frields.org/2009/07/18/best-in-show-gets-better/

In these two blog entries I describe how you can configure and run
Postfix locally on your laptop, for use with offlineimap and an email
client of your choice. I use Mutt for my client, but I believe you
can just as easily point Evolution, Thunderbird, Kmail, etc. to your
local Maildir store.

This setup is resistant to network outages, changed APs, etc. If you
are completely offline, you can still "send" email. It's held by your
Postfix server until your connection through NetworkManager is back
up. I've used this setup for over two years and it's served me very
well.

While it won't solve a DNS problem like Suvayu describes above, it
will let you send your email to the local Postfix server on your
laptop. I find this preferable to leaving my Mutt compose in limbo,
or forcing me to postpone mail and then manually recall and resend
later.

P.S. I also discovered I updated my /etc/NetworkManager/dispatcher.d
script to be slightly more complex but even more reliable some time
last year. I'm going to update my blog with a new writeup, and
condense the whole how-to document onto one page.

Old 07-18-2012, 01:04 PM
Heinz Diehl

On 18.07.2012, Paul W. Frields wrote:

> Heinz, I think you may find that running your own local mail server --
> which can, itself, connect to other mail servers when connections are
> up -- may solve your problem.
[...]

It's not me who has problems with mutt and mail delivery :-)
But I think you're right, a local mailserver could resolve the
problems.

Old 07-18-2012, 01:42 PM
Suvayu Ali

Hi Paul,

On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 03:04:19PM +0200, Heinz Diehl wrote:
> On 18.07.2012, Paul W. Frields wrote:
>
> > Heinz, I think you may find that running your own local mail server --
> > which can, itself, connect to other mail servers when connections are
> > up -- may solve your problem.
> [...]
>
> It's not me who has problems with mutt and mail delivery :-)
> But I think you're right, a local mailserver could resolve the
> problems.

I meant to take a look at your blog posts the last time you posted them;
but I got too caught up with work. I expect to have some time this
weekend. I'll go over the your setup and see how to adapt it for my use.

That said, I discovered a curious thing. I see the issue when I change
to or from a wireless network. Changing from one ethernet access point
to another does not pose a problem. Last time when I had the problem I
could ping smtp.gmail.com, but I did not check with dig or
tcptraceroute.

Thanks a lot,

--
Suvayu

Old 07-18-2012, 02:00 PM
"Darryl L. Pierce"

On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 11:14:34PM +0200, Suvayu Ali wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I have another Mutt question. I am using OfflineIMAP to sync my Gmail
> account to a maildir. I read my email from this maildir. However I still
> use the Gmail smtp servers. Since this is on a laptop, the network
> connection changes a lot; sometimes I am on a wired network, sometimes
> on different wireless networks. I observe that after a connection change
> mutt cannot send emails anymore. It fails with "Cannot find
> smtp.gmail.com". However it works again once I have restarted Mutt.
>
> Any ideas?

Don't use Mutt to send emails. Instead use something like esmtp to do
the sending, which is able to handle the sending for you.

--
Darryl L. Pierce <mcpierce@gmail.com>
http://mcpierce.multiply.com/

Old 07-18-2012, 02:39 PM
Heinz Diehl

On 18.07.2012, Heinz Diehl wrote:

> It's not me who has problems with mutt and mail delivery :-)
> But I think you're right, a local mailserver could resolve the
> problems.

When I'm at home, I'm using mutt and POP3, and when I'm travelling, I
access my mailbox via IMAP and Mew (emacs). Home again, I poll what's accumulated
while I was travelling, to keep my local inbox in sync.

At home, my chain is:

Incoming: fetchmail -> procmail -> crm114 -> postfix ->
/var/spool/mail -> mutt

Outgoing: mutt -> postfix -> provider