Old 07-17-2012, 01:37 AM
Alex

Default Adding static routes with fc17

Hi,

I have an fc17 install with a single interface and need to add another
route in addition to the default route. Previously, I could create
"route-eth0" (assuming eth0) with the following:

x.x.x.x/z.z.z.z dev eth0

where x is the network and z is the netmask, and it would add the
route. With this same configuration on fc17, it just complains about
"Error: Unknown connection" along with some random ID number.

I can create the route manually using route such as:

# route add -net x.x.x.x netmask z.z.z.z dev eth0

I'm unable to find the corresponding documentation that I used for
fc16 for fc17. What is the proper way to add a static route with fc17?

There is no router for the x.x.x.x network defined above -- it's just
a flat network with a default route on the same network as its IP
address.

Thanks,
Alex

Old 07-17-2012, 01:48 AM
Ed Greshko

On 07/17/2012 09:37 AM, Alex wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have an fc17 install with a single interface and need to add another
> route in addition to the default route. Previously, I could create
> "route-eth0" (assuming eth0) with the following:
>
> x.x.x.x/z.z.z.z dev eth0
>
> where x is the network and z is the netmask, and it would add the
> route. With this same configuration on fc17, it just complains about
> "Error: Unknown connection" along with some random ID number.
>
> I can create the route manually using route such as:
>
> # route add -net x.x.x.x netmask z.z.z.z dev eth0
>
> I'm unable to find the corresponding documentation that I used for
> fc16 for fc17. What is the proper way to add a static route with fc17?
>
> There is no router for the x.x.x.x network defined above -- it's just
> a flat network with a default route on the same network as its IP
> address.

Do you use NetworkManager?

If so, in the IPv4 settings there is a "Routes" button to click to add routes in
GNOME. In KDE it is a drop-down.

Have you tried that?

of the century. -- Dame Edna Everage

Old 07-17-2012, 02:04 AM
Alex

>> I have an fc17 install with a single interface and need to add another
>> route in addition to the default route. Previously, I could create
>> "route-eth0" (assuming eth0) with the following:
>>
>> x.x.x.x/z.z.z.z dev eth0
>>
>> where x is the network and z is the netmask, and it would add the
>> route. With this same configuration on fc17, it just complains about
>> "Error: Unknown connection" along with some random ID number.
>>
>> I can create the route manually using route such as:
>>
>> # route add -net x.x.x.x netmask z.z.z.z dev eth0
>>
>> I'm unable to find the corresponding documentation that I used for
>> fc16 for fc17. What is the proper way to add a static route with fc17?
>>
>> There is no router for the x.x.x.x network defined above -- it's just
>> a flat network with a default route on the same network as its IP
>> address.
>>

> Do you use NetworkManager?
>
> If so, in the IPv4 settings there is a "Routes" button to click to add routes in
> GNOME. In KDE it is a drop-down.
>
> Have you tried that?

No, this is a "minimal install" system with no NetworkManager, just
"network". I'd be interested in seeing what file it creates, however,
so perhaps someone has an fc17 desktop they could try to create a
static route on?

I'd hate to have to add all its dependencies.

Thanks,
Alex

Old 07-17-2012, 02:28 AM
Ed Greshko

On 07/17/2012 10:04 AM, Alex wrote:
> No, this is a "minimal install" system with no NetworkManager, just
> "network". I'd be interested in seeing what file it creates, however,
> so perhaps someone has an fc17 desktop they could try to create a
> static route on?
>
> I'd hate to have to add all its dependencies.

I should have guessed that from your first message.... Divided attention.... :-(

The line in route-eth0, shouldn't it read:

X.X.X.X/X via X.X.X.X dev interface example....

192.168.1.1/24 via 192.168.0.1 dev eth0

I always thought you had to tell what external IP address was to handle packets for
the network that isn't to go to the default route.

of the century. -- Dame Edna Everage

Old 07-17-2012, 02:44 AM
Ed Greshko

On 07/17/2012 10:28 AM, Ed Greshko wrote:
> I always thought you had to tell what external IP address was to handle packets for
> the network that isn't to go to the default route.

Oh.... You're running 2 networks on the same wire?

So.... the 192.168.0.1 would be the same IP address as eth0....

I suppose the another way would be to add the route command to /etc/rc.d/rc.local,
making sure to make the file executable.

Another way may be to simply assign a second IP address to the interface..... I've
not used the "Network" service in a while.....

of the century. -- Dame Edna Everage

Old 07-17-2012, 05:00 AM
Ed Greshko

On 07/17/2012 09:37 AM, Alex wrote:
> I have an fc17 install with a single interface and need to add another
> route in addition to the default route. Previously, I could create
> "route-eth0" (assuming eth0) with the following:
>
> x.x.x.x/z.z.z.z dev eth0

FWIW, I switched over a VM to use network instead of NetworkManager....

created route-p2p1

with the content...

192.168.1.0/24 dev p2p1

And on reboot....

[egreshko@f17 ~]$ netstat -rn
Kernel IP routing table
Destination Gateway Genmask Flags MSS Window irtt Iface
0.0.0.0 192.168.0.1 0.0.0.0 UG 0 0 0 p2p1
169.254.0.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.0.0 U 0 0 0 p2p1
192.168.0.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.0 U 0 0 0 p2p1
192.168.1.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.0 U 0 0 0 p2p1

So, it should work for you too.....

of the century. -- Dame Edna Everage

Old 07-18-2012, 01:07 AM
Alex

Hi,

>> I have an fc17 install with a single interface and need to add another
>> route in addition to the default route. Previously, I could create
>> "route-eth0" (assuming eth0) with the following:
>>
>> x.x.x.x/z.z.z.z dev eth0
>
> FWIW, I switched over a VM to use network instead of NetworkManager....
>
> created route-p2p1
>
> with the content...
>
> 192.168.1.0/24 dev p2p1
>
> And on reboot....
>
> [egreshko@f17 ~]$ netstat -rn
> Kernel IP routing table
> Destination Gateway Genmask Flags MSS Window irtt Iface
> 0.0.0.0 192.168.0.1 0.0.0.0 UG 0 0 0 p2p1
> 169.254.0.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.0.0 U 0 0 0 p2p1
> 192.168.0.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.0 U 0 0 0 p2p1
> 192.168.1.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.0 U 0 0 0 p2p1
>
> So, it should work for you too.....

It didn't. Not only was there no static route, but there was no routes
whatsoever.

There must be something else on your system that's creating that
static route for you. Perhaps some remnants of NetworkManager?

I have a /29, and other than that, the configuration is the same as yours.

This is also something that can't really be done remotely. The moment
I saved the route-eth0 file, I lost network connectivity. What is it
about that system that's perpetually looking for that file? It was
really bizarre. I didn't even restart the networking, and the
networking was changed.

Thankfully it was in a vm, so I just rebooted it remotely thru virt-manager.

Has anyone come up with the proper documentation on how to do this?
Sure would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Alex

Old 07-18-2012, 01:14 AM
Ed Greshko

On 07/18/2012 09:07 AM, Alex wrote:
> Hi,
>
>>> I have an fc17 install with a single interface and need to add another
>>> route in addition to the default route. Previously, I could create
>>> "route-eth0" (assuming eth0) with the following:
>>>
>>> x.x.x.x/z.z.z.z dev eth0
>> FWIW, I switched over a VM to use network instead of NetworkManager....
>>
>> created route-p2p1
>>
>> with the content...
>>
>> 192.168.1.0/24 dev p2p1
>>
>> And on reboot....
>>
>> [egreshko@f17 ~]$ netstat -rn
>> Kernel IP routing table
>> Destination Gateway Genmask Flags MSS Window irtt Iface
>> 0.0.0.0 192.168.0.1 0.0.0.0 UG 0 0 0 p2p1
>> 169.254.0.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.0.0 U 0 0 0 p2p1
>> 192.168.0.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.0 U 0 0 0 p2p1
>> 192.168.1.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.0 U 0 0 0 p2p1
>>
>> So, it should work for you too.....
> It didn't. Not only was there no static route, but there was no routes
> whatsoever.
>
> There must be something else on your system that's creating that
> static route for you. Perhaps some remnants of NetworkManager?

No. The NetworkManger is totally disabled.....

After editing the /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/route-p2p1 script you can run...

/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifup-routes p2p1 (or whatever interface you have)
to see if you get any errors. This script is what is being executed.

> I have a /29, and other than that, the configuration is the same as yours.
>
> This is also something that can't really be done remotely. The moment
> I saved the route-eth0 file, I lost network connectivity. What is it
> about that system that's perpetually looking for that file? It was
> really bizarre. I didn't even restart the networking, and the
> networking was changed.
>
> Thankfully it was in a vm, so I just rebooted it remotely thru virt-manager.
>
> Has anyone come up with the proper documentation on how to do this?
> Sure would be appreciated.

AFAIK, there isn't any thing running in the background looking for or constantly
referencing the route-eth0 file.

I think this is the "proper" documentation.... I think you need to find out why it
doesn't work for you.

of the century. -- Dame Edna Everage

Old 07-18-2012, 01:16 AM
Alex

Hi,

>> created route-p2p1
>>
>> with the content...
>>
>> 192.168.1.0/24 dev p2p1
>>
>> And on reboot....
>>
>> [egreshko@f17 ~]$ netstat -rn
>> Kernel IP routing table
>> Destination Gateway Genmask Flags MSS Window irtt Iface
>> 0.0.0.0 192.168.0.1 0.0.0.0 UG 0 0 0 p2p1
>> 169.254.0.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.0.0 U 0 0 0 p2p1
>> 192.168.0.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.0 U 0 0 0 p2p1
>> 192.168.1.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.0 U 0 0 0 p2p1
>>
>> So, it should work for you too.....
>
> It didn't. Not only was there no static route, but there was no routes
> whatsoever.
>
> There must be something else on your system that's creating that
> static route for you. Perhaps some remnants of NetworkManager?
>
> I have a /29, and other than that, the configuration is the same as yours.
>
> This is also something that can't really be done remotely. The moment
> I saved the route-eth0 file, I lost network connectivity. What is it

To follow up with my previous post, actually, it does work. I didn't
realize it, but NetworkManager was indeed installed and running. My
experience in the past was that it wasn't configured with a "minimal"
install.

What's the proper way to switch from NetworkManager to the standard
"network" format? I've just removed the NetworkManager packages, and
it seems to work, but perhaps there's some configuration option I'm
missing?

Thanks,
Alex

Old 07-18-2012, 01:22 AM
Alex

Hi,

>> This is also something that can't really be done remotely. The moment
>> I saved the route-eth0 file, I lost network connectivity. What is it
>> about that system that's perpetually looking for that file? It was
>> really bizarre. I didn't even restart the networking, and the
>> networking was changed.
>>
>> Thankfully it was in a vm, so I just rebooted it remotely thru virt-manager.
>>
>> Has anyone come up with the proper documentation on how to do this?
>> Sure would be appreciated.
>
> AFAIK, there isn't any thing running in the background looking for or constantly
> referencing the route-eth0 file.

Thanks for your help. It looks like it's fixed now, but I'd really
like to know how the network changed as soon as I saved the route-eth0
file, without having to restart anything else.

Thanks,
Alex