Old 07-16-2012, 02:05 AM
Jeffrey Ross

Default F16 - Adding a second video card

I have an older motherboard/processor (Intel DG965RY with a Pentium
D) the system has an integrated video adapter (82G965) and I'd like
to add a second video Card (PCI card ATI RAGE IIC) I'm not looking
for fast video but would like to use 2 monitors.

I put the ATI card in the machine and an lshw shows the card:

-display UNCLAIMED

*************** product: 3D Rage IIC 215IIC [Mach64 GT IIC]

*************** vendor: ATI Technologies Inc

*

When I first booted the system with the card, the BIOS made the ATI
card the primary and once X started the system went blank, changed
the bios to force the integrated card to be primary and everything
works as before, however I don't know how to tell X that there is a
second video card and to start using it.

What's the magic command that I'm unable to find?* From the GUI I've
checked displays under system settings but I only see my integrated
video interface, and "detect displays" produces nothing but the
existing display.

Thanks,

Jeff

Old 07-16-2012, 03:08 AM
"G.Wolfe Woodbury"

[...]

You may need to install the Mach64 X driver, and/or force the kernel to
load the appropriate drive before X starts.

There is a two-level complication to graphics under Linux.
Then you may need to generate a real xorg.conf file so that X sees both
cards,
It has been a while since I did two monitor setups, but I thing "X
-configure" may do most of the work once the

kernel module is loaded.

HTH
--
G.Wolfe Woodbury
redwolfe (proventesters)

Old 07-16-2012, 03:34 PM
Mark LaPierre

[...]

Many older MoBos will not support two video cards. When you plug a
video card in the expansion slot it disables the integrated one. This
is not an issue with Linux but with the MoBo.

If you must have dual monitor support you will have to track down a
video card that will support dual monitors. Most dual monitor video
cards will not be supported by older MoBos either because they require
high speed slots that are not available on the older MoBos. You will
run into the same problem if you try to install a Gb network card. Not
enough band width is available on the older MoBo to support those cards.

--
_
/(_)

Old 07-17-2012, 07:29 AM
Tim

On Mon, 2012-07-16 at 11:34 -0400, Mark LaPierre wrote:
> Many older MoBos will not support two video cards. When you plug a
> video card in the expansion slot it disables the integrated one.

Though, some do not. i.e. You *may* be able to use the internal
graphics chipset and an external one, *or* you may have to install two
graphics cards. I've got some boards that work in both ways.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.

Old 07-18-2012, 08:01 AM
Roberto Ragusa

On 07/17/2012 09:29 AM, Tim wrote:
> On Mon, 2012-07-16 at 11:34 -0400, Mark LaPierre wrote:
>> Many older MoBos will not support two video cards. When you plug a
>> video card in the expansion slot it disables the integrated one.
>
> Though, some do not. i.e. You *may* be able to use the internal
> graphics chipset and an external one, *or* you may have to install two
> graphics cards. I've got some boards that work in both ways.

I was quite surprised to be able to use both the Intel integrated
and Nvidia discrete on a "Nvidia Optimus" Lenovo Thinkpad.
(also considering what Linus has recently expressed about Nvidia
commitment to Linux)

It is possible to actually run two X servers, with the Intel chipset
driving the LCD panel and the Nvidia board driving the VGA.
It was quite a bit of work to configure, but it is working fine
now (I can also poweron and poweroff the Nvidia chip very simply
without any reboot or session restart).

(all this experimentation because it seems it is not possible to
have VGA output on the Intel chipset)

Roberto Ragusa mail at robertoragusa.it

Old 07-18-2012, 02:11 PM
Adrian Sevcenco

[...]

Hi! How did you do it? i have an t420 and it would be interesting to
play with this...

Thanks!
Adrian