Old 07-16-2012, 08:27 PM
Alan Cox

Default Memory on new computer

> This is well known issue. The missing space is occupied by the page table
> index. When pages are 4k in size you need a lot of table entries to describe
> a full 4 gigabytes, like a million of them. Linux seems to have optimized
> this a little. Windows loses a bit more memory, if I recall correctly.

We account for the page tables in our memory report as part of the kernel
memory.

Old 07-17-2012, 04:48 PM
Richard Vickery

On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 1:27 PM, Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk> wrote:

> This is well known issue. The missing space is occupied by the page table

> index. When pages are 4k in size you need a lot of table entries to describe

> a full 4 gigabytes, like a million of them. Linux seems to have optimized

> this a little. Windows loses a bit more memory, if I recall correctly.

We account for the page tables in our memory report as part of the kernel

memory.

What is the real difference between i386 and x86?

Old 07-17-2012, 04:58 PM
Alan Cox

> What is the real difference between i386 and x86?

i386 is an Intel brand, x86 is a term folks use generically for those
32bit processors.

Old 07-17-2012, 07:04 PM
Martín Marqués

2012/7/16 jdow <jdow@earthlink.net>:
> On 2012/07/16 04:55, Paweł Brodacki wrote:
>>
>> In short: Works as designed. You may try to disable devices you do not
>> use to salvage some address space, but you won't reach 4096 MB
>> available.
>

> This is well known issue. The missing space is occupied by the page table
> index. When pages are 4k in size you need a lot of table entries to describe
> a full 4 gigabytes, like a million of them. Linux seems to have optimized
> this a little. Windows loses a bit more memory, if I recall correctly.

Can't be so. I had this same system with an MSI Motherboard and I saw
almost all the 4Gb I had before. Now I change the Motherboard,
procesor amd memory (still 4Gb) and I get this. It's not a problem
with how Linux reads memory.

Looks more like I have 500Mb used for video. :-(

Worst part is I still don't now how to lower it. Couldn't find
anything in the BIOS settings.

--
Mart*n Marqués
DBA, Programador, Administrador