Old 07-13-2012, 08:39 PM
Rick Stevens

Default Make external hard drive accessible to all users

On 07/13/2012 01:25 PM, Pasha R issued this missive::

F17 introduced a change to how external drives are mounted. They are
mounted now exclusively to a logged on user. This is somewhat
inconvenient, because iso images stored on external drive is now
inaccessible to virtual machines. Is it possible to make drives
accessible to everyone?

Add the mount to /etc/fstab and make sure the "auto" option is included.
Something like:

/path/to/device /mountpoint ext4 defaults,auto 0 0
- Rick Stevens, Systems Engineer, AllDigital ricks@alldigital.com -
- -
- Whoever said "Money can't buy friends" obviously never brought -
- donuts to the office. -

Old 07-13-2012, 08:43 PM
Reindl Harald

Am 13.07.2012 22:39, schrieb Rick Stevens:
> On 07/13/2012 01:25 PM, Pasha R issued this missive::
>> F17 introduced a change to how external drives are mounted. They are
>> mounted now exclusively to a logged on user. This is somewhat
>> inconvenient, because iso images stored on external drive is now
>> inaccessible to virtual machines. Is it possible to make drives
>> accessible to everyone?
>
> Add the mount to /etc/fstab and make sure the "auto" option is included.
> Something like:
>
> /path/to/device /mountpoint ext4 defaults,auto 0 0

you do **not* want auto for external drives
auto/noauto does not matter at all

add it to fstab is simply enough

with "defaults,noauto,users" even users can mount the drive
permissions are done via fileystem

Old 07-13-2012, 09:02 PM
Veli-Pekka Kestilš

On 07/13/2012 01:25 PM, Pasha R issued this missive::

F17 introduced a change to how external drives are mounted. They are
mounted now exclusively to a logged on user. This is somewhat
inconvenient, because iso images stored on external drive is now
inaccessible to virtual machines. Is it possible to make drives
accessible to everyone?

Add the mount to /etc/fstab and make sure the "auto" option is included.
Something like:

/path/to/device /mountpoint ext4 defaults,auto 0 0

I would use UUID as the device identifier so that if device name changes
it will still mount it correctly.

blkid /dev/sda1 will get you the uuid and then add:

UUID=YOUR-UID /mountpoint ext4 defaults,auto 0 0

-vpk

Old 07-13-2012, 09:15 PM
Pasha R

On Sat, Jul 14, 2012 at 12:02 AM, Veli-Pekka Kestilš <fedora@guagua.fi> wrote:
> On 13.7.2012 23:39, Rick Stevens wrote:
>>
>> On 07/13/2012 01:25 PM, Pasha R issued this missive::
>>>
>>> F17 introduced a change to how external drives are mounted. They are
>>> mounted now exclusively to a logged on user. This is somewhat
>>> inconvenient, because iso images stored on external drive is now
>>> inaccessible to virtual machines. Is it possible to make drives
>>> accessible to everyone?
>>

>> Add the mount to /etc/fstab and make sure the "auto" option is included.
>> Something like:
>>
>> /path/to/device /mountpoint ext4 defaults,auto 0 0
>>
> I would use UUID as the device identifier so that if device name changes it
> will still mount it correctly.
>
> blkid /dev/sda1 will get you the uuid and then add:
>
> UUID=YOUR-UID /mountpoint ext4 defaults,auto 0 0

If I understand correctly, this implies that device should be
available at boot time, which is not always the case, since it is
external USB drive.

Old 07-13-2012, 09:37 PM
Mateusz Marzantowicz

On 13.07.2012 23:15, Pasha R wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 14, 2012 at 12:02 AM, Veli-Pekka Kestilš <fedora@guagua.fi> wrote:
>> On 13.7.2012 23:39, Rick Stevens wrote:
>>> On 07/13/2012 01:25 PM, Pasha R issued this missive::
>>>
>>> Add the mount to /etc/fstab and make sure the "auto" option is included.
>>> Something like:
>>>
>>> /path/to/device /mountpoint ext4 defaults,auto 0 0
>>>
>> I would use UUID as the device identifier so that if device name changes it
>> will still mount it correctly.
>>
>> blkid /dev/sda1 will get you the uuid and then add:
>>
>> UUID=YOUR-UID /mountpoint ext4 defaults,auto 0 0
>>
> If I understand correctly, this implies that device should be
> available at boot time, which is not always the case, since it is
> external USB drive.

No, there is not such need.

Old 07-13-2012, 09:37 PM
"eoconnor25@gmail.com"

Vs plc

Sent from my HTC EVO Design‚ĄĘ 4G from Boost Mobile

On 07/13/2012 01:25 PM, Pasha R issued this missive::
> F17 introduced a change to how external drives are mounted. They are
> mounted now exclusively to a logged on user. This is somewhat
> inconvenient, because iso images stored on external drive is now
> inaccessible to virtual machines. Is it possible to make drives
> accessible to everyone?

Add the mount to /etc/fstab and make sure the "auto" option is included.
Something like:

¬* ¬* /path/to/device ¬* ¬*/mountpoint ¬* ¬*ext4 ¬* ¬* ¬*defaults,auto ¬* ¬* 0 0
- Rick Stevens, Systems Engineer, AllDigital ¬* ¬*ricks@alldigital.com -
- AIM/Skype: therps2 ¬* ¬* ¬* ¬*ICQ: 22643734 ¬* ¬* ¬* ¬* ¬* ¬*Yahoo: origrps2 -
- ¬* ¬* ¬* ¬* ¬* ¬* ¬* ¬* ¬* ¬* ¬* ¬* ¬* ¬* ¬* ¬* ¬* ¬* ¬* ¬* ¬* ¬* ¬* ¬* ¬* ¬* ¬* ¬* ¬* ¬* ¬* ¬* ¬* ¬*-

Old 07-13-2012, 11:58 PM
Rick Stevens

On 07/13/2012 02:37 PM, Mateusz Marzantowicz issued this missive::

[...]

Actually, there is. Pasha is right in that it'll work if the drive is
plugged in at boot time as the mounting of items in /etc/fstab is done
at boot. In reality, plug/unplug of devices is geared towards a
workstation (which is why Fedora behaves the way it does). Pasha's
thing is more what you'd expect in a server-oriented environment which
is why I suggested what I did.

If the device is going to be plugged in after boot and you don't want
to require human intervention to actually mount the device, then rules
need to be written for udev to monitor the USB device and perform the
mount when the device is plugged in. udev rules work best on pluggable
stuff when they're keyed against some immutable thing in the device
being plugged in (e.g. a UUID on the filesystem).

Unplugging the device and having udev unmount it can cause issues as
you can't necessarily do a "umount" if the device (filesystem) is busy.
Even "umount -f" only works on NFS volumes most of the time--not always.
This is why you generally don't have easily-removable items in a server
farm (it says here in small print).

Old 07-14-2012, 07:32 AM
Mateusz Marzantowicz

On 14.07.2012 01:58, Rick Stevens wrote:
> On 07/13/2012 02:37 PM, Mateusz Marzantowicz issued this missive::
>> On 13.07.2012 23:15, Pasha R wrote:

>>> If I understand correctly, this implies that device should be
>>> available at boot time, which is not always the case, since it is
>>> external USB drive.
>>
>> No, there is not such need.
>
> Actually, there is. Pasha is right in that it'll work if the drive is
> plugged in at boot time as the mounting of items in /etc/fstab is done
> at boot. In reality, plug/unplug of devices is geared towards a
> workstation (which is why Fedora behaves the way it does). Pasha's
> thing is more what you'd expect in a server-oriented environment which
> is why I suggested what I did.

Sorry but I checked that and I can't agree with you.

I added following line to /etc/fstab:

UUID="25da1476-a0a4-4b87-8afb-8f0ddb128b18" /mnt ext4
defaults 0 0

The uuid is of my flash card (removable storage). Then when I plugged in
the card, it hasn't been mounted automatically. I had to issued: mount
/mnt and umount /mnt manually.

This is exactly what I was talking about. It works in Fedora 17. So you
can mount shared storage not only at boot time. /etc/fstab is not only
proceeded at boot time!

Mateusz Marzantowicz

Old 07-14-2012, 10:50 AM
Tim

On Fri, 2012-07-13 at 23:25 +0300, Pasha R wrote:
> F17 introduced a change to how external drives are mounted. They are
> mounted now exclusively to a logged on user. This is somewhat
> inconvenient, because iso images stored on external drive is now
> inaccessible to virtual machines. Is it possible to make drives
> accessible to everyone?

You didn't say what filing system you were using on that drive. If it's
a foreign one, that doesn't have user IDs on it as used by Fedora, then
I'd expect it to be mounted as you say. If it's a native one, then I'd
expect it to be mounted with the usual user & group ownerships. For
multiuser external drives, my usual approach was to make sub-directories
in it that were owned by users on the system, or a shared sub-directory,
but not to use the root of the drive.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.

Old 07-17-2012, 11:58 AM
Pasha R

On Sat, Jul 14, 2012 at 1:50 PM, Tim <ignored_mailbox@yahoo.com.au> wrote:
> On Fri, 2012-07-13 at 23:25 +0300, Pasha R wrote:
>> F17 introduced a change to how external drives are mounted. They are
>> mounted now exclusively to a logged on user. This is somewhat
>> inconvenient, because iso images stored on external drive is now
>> inaccessible to virtual machines. Is it possible to make drives
>> accessible to everyone?
>
> You didn't say what filing system you were using on that drive. If it's
> a foreign one, that doesn't have user IDs on it as used by Fedora, then
> I'd expect it to be mounted as you say. If it's a native one, then I'd
> expect it to be mounted with the usual user & group ownerships. For
> multiuser external drives, my usual approach was to make sub-directories
> in it that were owned by users on the system, or a shared sub-directory,
> but not to use the root of the drive.

All external drives I use formatted as NTFS - this provides
compatibility with windows boxes and allows me to store large files.
Also, I'm the only user of the computer, so, multi-seat security is
irrelevant to me.