Old 07-17-2012, 12:03 PM
Pasha R

Default Make external hard drive accessible to all users

On Sat, Jul 14, 2012 at 10:32 AM, Mateusz Marzantowicz
<mmarzantowicz@osdf.com.pl> wrote:
> On 14.07.2012 01:58, Rick Stevens wrote:

>>> No, there is not such need.
>>
>> Actually, there is. Pasha is right in that it'll work if the drive is
>> plugged in at boot time as the mounting of items in /etc/fstab is done
>> at boot. In reality, plug/unplug of devices is geared towards a
>> workstation (which is why Fedora behaves the way it does). Pasha's
>> thing is more what you'd expect in a server-oriented environment which
>> is why I suggested what I did.
>>

> Sorry but I checked that and I can't agree with you.
>
> I added following line to /etc/fstab:
>
> UUID="25da1476-a0a4-4b87-8afb-8f0ddb128b18" /mnt ext4
> defaults 0 0
>
> The uuid is of my flash card (removable storage). Then when I plugged in
> the card, it hasn't been mounted automatically. I had to issued: mount
> /mnt and umount /mnt manually.
>
> This is exactly what I was talking about. It works in Fedora 17. So you
> can mount shared storage not only at boot time. /etc/fstab is not only
> proceeded at boot time!

This is less convenient than in older Fedora versions. I have several
removable drives and also some thumb drives, which I also prefer to
mount system-wide accessible. Now I have to add them all to fstab and
also mount manually. I wonder what was a purpose of the change. Was it
for multi-seat support?

Old 07-18-2012, 11:51 AM
Tim

On Tue, 2012-07-17 at 14:58 +0300, Pasha R wrote:
> All external drives I use formatted as NTFS - this provides
> compatibility with windows boxes and allows me to store large files.
> Also, I'm the only user of the computer, so, multi-seat security is
> irrelevant to me.

You've a few choices, then...

You could leave the drive unplugged until you log in, and you'll get to
own it.

You could put fstab entries in that make it yours, but the drive would
have be connected before boot up, or before manually issuing a mount
instruction.

You could set up HAL rules (or whatever the current device manager is),
that recognises your drives by some rule (specific partition volume
names, or all NTFS drives, or something else), and mounts them with your
preferred options.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.

Old 07-18-2012, 05:34 PM
Bill Davidsen

Pasha R wrote:

[...]

Many of us on this list suffer from literalism, meaning we think what you said
is what you meant. Had you said "removable" rather than "external" it might have
helped people understand your problem.

In any case, for extN filesystems if you provide a label (tune2fs if you didn't
create one) it seems to get mounted on /media/label nicely. Don't know for sure
about MS filesystems, but given that my new USB drives always have the same name
no matter where I plug them in, I suspect the ugly string is a label of some
kind, and you could use that, perhaps even change it to something you like better.

Once you get it mounted in the same place every time, you can use symlinks if
you don't like the name.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>

Old 07-18-2012, 05:45 PM
Bill Davidsen

Rick Stevens wrote:

Unplugging the device and having udev unmount it can cause issues as
you can't necessarily do a "umount" if the device (filesystem) is busy.
Even "umount -f" only works on NFS volumes most of the time--not always.
This is why you generally don't have easily-removable items in a server
farm (it says here in small print).

Not sure, but I believe that -f behaves much like -l, and as long as something
is in use, like a process with a file open or cd into the mount. As long as the
process doesn't try to use the mount, other than what's n cache, it goes on
happily, and only when no process knows, or thinks it knows, about the umounted
f/s it won't truly go away.

In either case, the name of the big hammer is lsof, assuming you really want to
umount and are willing to accept collateral damage.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>

Old 07-19-2012, 05:39 AM
Tim

On Wed, 2012-07-18 at 13:34 -0400, Bill Davidsen wrote:
> In any case, for extN filesystems if you provide a label (tune2fs if
> you didn't create one) it seems to get mounted on /media/label nicely.
> Don't know for sure about MS filesystems

The Windows volume/partition name gets used in the same way, for me.

e.g. I see /media/Vista on my old laptop.

Old 07-19-2012, 07:12 AM
Pasha R

On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 8:34 PM, Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com> wrote:
> Pasha R wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, Jul 14, 2012 at 12:02 AM, Veli-Pekka Kestilš <fedora@guagua.fi>
>> wrote:

>>> I would use UUID as the device identifier so that if device name changes
>>> it
>>> will still mount it correctly.
>>>
>>> blkid /dev/sda1 will get you the uuid and then add:
>>>
>>> UUID=YOUR-UID /mountpoint ext4 defaults,auto 0 0
>>>

>> If I understand correctly, this implies that device should be
>> available at boot time, which is not always the case, since it is
>> external USB drive.
>>
> Many of us on this list suffer from literalism, meaning we think what you
> said is what you meant. Had you said "removable" rather than "external" it
> might have helped people understand your problem.

Sorry if I misled someone.

> In any case, for extN filesystems if you provide a label (tune2fs if you
> didn't create one) it seems to get mounted on /media/label nicely. Don't
Do you use F17 or one of the previous releases? The change of mounting
in /run/media/$USER/label was introduced in F17 and that's what it
actually does.

> know for sure about MS filesystems, but given that my new USB drives always
> have the same name no matter where I plug them in, I suspect the ugly string
> is a label of some kind, and you could use that, perhaps even change it to
> something you like better.
>
> Once you get it mounted in the same place every time, you can use symlinks
> if you don't like the name.

My problem is not the place where it is mounted. The problem is that
drive is mounted exclusively for user owning the session, so it is
accessible only by that user or root. But ,for example, virtual
machines that run by default as 'qemu' user, have no access to that
drive, so for example I can't boot them with CD image located on that
drive.