Old 07-13-2012, 07:56 PM
"Alan J. Gagne"

Default "best practices" for using a small SSD boot drive and a big regular one?

anyway, is there a doc that gives one advice about a sane
partitioning? it's not really a "small" SSD -- you can pack a lot
into 128G. i'm just looking to be as intelligent about this as
possible.

*** Do not know about sane partitioning but I have the same system
that I bought

with a 160GB ssd and the 750GB spinning rust. I have been running
with this

partitioning for about seven months. The first disk set-up was let
Fedora pick.

[agagne@dw-agagne ~]$ df -h

Filesystem***************************** Size* Used Avail Use%
Mounted on

rootfs********************************** 50G* 7.7G** 40G* 17% /

devtmpfs******************************* 7.9G**** 0* 7.9G** 0% /dev

tmpfs********************************** 7.9G* 2.1M* 7.9G** 1%
/dev/shm

tmpfs********************************** 7.9G* 884K* 7.9G** 1% /run

/dev/mapper/vg_dwagagne01-lv_root******* 50G* 7.7G** 40G* 17% /

tmpfs********************************** 7.9G**** 0* 7.9G** 0%
/sys/fs/cgroup

tmpfs********************************** 7.9G**** 0* 7.9G** 0% /media

/dev/sda2****************************** 497M* 114M* 358M* 25% /boot

/dev/mapper/vg_dwagagne01-lv_home******* 81G** 11G** 67G* 14% /home

/dev/mapper/vg_dwagagne02-lv_opt******** 50G* 2.0G** 46G** 5% /opt

/dev/mapper/vg_dwagagne02-lv_vmachines* 250G* 127G* 111G* 54%
/vmachines

/dev/mapper/vg_dwagagne02-lv_scratch*** 200G** 30G* 160G* 16%
/scratch

Alan

Old 07-13-2012, 08:05 PM
"Robert P. J. Day"

On Fri, 13 Jul 2012, Alan J. Gagne wrote:

> anyway, is there a doc that gives one advice about a sane
> partitioning? it's not really a "small" SSD -- you can pack a lot
> into 128G. i'm just looking to be as intelligent about this as
> possible.
>

> *** Do not know about sane partitioning but I have the same system that I bought
> with a 160GB ssd and the 750GB spinning rust. I have been running with this
> partitioning for about seven months. The first disk set-up was let Fedora pick.
>
> [agagne@dw-agagne ~]$ df -h
> Filesystem***************************** Size* Used Avail Use% Mounted on
> rootfs********************************** 50G* 7.7G** 40G* 17% /
> devtmpfs******************************* 7.9G**** 0* 7.9G** 0% /dev
> tmpfs********************************** 7.9G* 2.1M* 7.9G** 1% /dev/shm
> tmpfs********************************** 7.9G* 884K* 7.9G** 1% /run
> /dev/mapper/vg_dwagagne01-lv_root******* 50G* 7.7G** 40G* 17% /
> tmpfs********************************** 7.9G**** 0* 7.9G** 0% /sys/fs/cgroup
> tmpfs********************************** 7.9G**** 0* 7.9G** 0% /media
> /dev/sda2****************************** 497M* 114M* 358M* 25% /boot
> /dev/mapper/vg_dwagagne01-lv_home******* 81G** 11G** 67G* 14% /home
> /dev/mapper/vg_dwagagne02-lv_opt******** 50G* 2.0G** 46G** 5% /opt
> /dev/mapper/vg_dwagagne02-lv_vmachines* 250G* 127G* 111G* 54% /vmachines
> /dev/mapper/vg_dwagagne02-lv_scratch*** 200G** 30G* 160G* 16% /scratch

sorry, i'm not sure what's going on up there. first, are you saying
that when you installed, you picked both drives as installable devices
and you just went with with what the installer chose for the first
(SSD) drive?

and i'm assuming that you used your entire 2nd drive for the "02"
volume group, is that it?

rday

Old 07-13-2012, 08:24 PM
"Robert P. J. Day"

On Fri, 13 Jul 2012, Alan J. Gagne wrote:

> > [agagne at dw-agagne ~]$ df -h
> > Filesystem***************************** Size* Used Avail Use% Mounted on
> > rootfs********************************** 50G* 7.7G** 40G* 17% /
> > devtmpfs******************************* 7.9G**** 0* 7.9G** 0% /dev
> > tmpfs********************************** 7.9G* 2.1M* 7.9G** 1% /dev/shm
> > tmpfs********************************** 7.9G* 884K* 7.9G** 1% /run
> > /dev/mapper/vg_dwagagne01-lv_root******* 50G* 7.7G** 40G* 17% /
> > tmpfs********************************** 7.9G**** 0* 7.9G** 0% /sys/fs/cgroup
> > tmpfs********************************** 7.9G**** 0* 7.9G** 0% /media
> > /dev/sda2****************************** 497M* 114M* 358M* 25% /boot
> > /dev/mapper/vg_dwagagne01-lv_home******* 81G** 11G** 67G* 14% /home
> > /dev/mapper/vg_dwagagne02-lv_opt******** 50G* 2.0G** 46G** 5% /opt
> > /dev/mapper/vg_dwagagne02-lv_vmachines* 250G* 127G* 111G* 54% /vmachines
> > /dev/mapper/vg_dwagagne02-lv_scratch*** 200G** 30G* 160G* 16% /scratch
>
> sorry, i'm not sure what's going on up there. first, are you saying
> that when you installed, you picked both drives as installable devices
> and you just went with with what the installer chose for the first
> (SSD) drive?
>
> and i'm assuming that you used your entire 2nd drive for the "02"
> volume group, is that it?
>

> Sorry for the lack of clarity.
>
> I installed to the first drive only letting Fedora set-up
> partitioning. The second drive I set-up manually after the os
> install. Currently the second drive is using 550GB of the 750 for VG
> 02. 200GB on the second drive is currently being left in reserve.

ah, got it. i'd have to do something different as i currently do
*all* my work under my home directory, and i have scattered throughout
that the (sizable) directories that would make sense to move to the
SSD:

* kernel source git clone
* yocto/OE sources
* several G dir of source tarballs used as premirror to yocto/OE

i suspect it's going to take some work just to figure out what's worth
moving to the SSD for extra speed. i'm thinking that i can *start*
with what you did -- install to the SSD only, but put /home on the
second drive, then over time, decide what's worth migrating to the
SSD.

rday

Old 07-13-2012, 08:30 PM
Heinz Diehl

On 13.07.2012, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

> anyway, is there a doc that gives one advice about a sane
> partitioning?

None that I'm aware of. Peoples needs are different.
I would consider having

/boot
swap
/

on the SSD. 500M is enough for /boot, swap should at least be the size
of your installed memory if you want to use hibernation, and the rest
goes to the root partition. I would place /home on the second disk.
Don't forget to activate trim-support in /etc/fstab ("discard") and to
switch the standard cfq scheduler to "noop" for the SSD. Around 100 GB
for / is plenty enough space to hold a few git-trees.

I'm not a big fan of SSD harddisks at all, so there are for shure
others here on the list which maybe could give you better advice.

Old 07-13-2012, 08:33 PM
Frank Cox

On Fri, 13 Jul 2012 15:40:58 -0400 (EDT)
Robert P. J. Day wrote:

> obviously(?), i'll want to install the basic OS to the SSD drive,
> with the assumption that i won't be updating /usr 20 times a day or
> something silly. then again, who knows how often i'll be installing
> new packages?

I recently set a machine up with a 40gb ssd and a 1tb hard drive. My objective
was to put the os on the ssd and the data on the hard drive.

Therefore, I partitioned the drive such that / and /boot were on the ssd
and /home, /opt, /tmp and /var were on the hard drive.

Old 07-13-2012, 09:41 PM
Joe Zeff