Old 07-14-2012, 10:47 AM
Roberto Ragusa

Default "best practices" for using a small SSD boot drive and a big regular one?

> On Sat, 14 Jul 2012, Heinz Diehl wrote:
>
>> On 14.07.2012, Joe Zeff wrote:
>>
>>> Not swap. If you really need swap, it gets written to over and over, which
>>> isn't exactly the best thing for an SSD.
>>
>> My thoughts were that nowadays, on laptops with a fairly amount of
>> RAM, swap gets mainly used for hibernating, and I think it will be a
>> significant advantage to have the memory image recovered from the
>> fastest disk in the system.
>
> oh, right, *that's* why i want swap. :-)

If your rotating disk will always be connected, you may want to have
a unique VG across both the SSD and the HD, so you can move partitions
across them and have more flexibility.
For example, if you realize to need some more space on a SSD filesystem,
you still have to ability to enlarge the partition into the HD and cope with
a partially-here/partially-there layout.
This road can lead to very interesting tricks, such as having the
journal and metadata on SSD and actual data on HD. See:

http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.file-systems.ext4/30903

(which I have not done yet, but I'm definitively going to)

Best regards.

Roberto Ragusa mail at robertoragusa.it

Old 07-14-2012, 07:01 PM
James Wilkinson

Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> i suspect it's going to take some work just to figure out what's worth
> moving to the SSD for extra speed. i'm thinking that i can *start*
> with what you did -- install to the SSD only, but put /home on the
> second drive, then over time, decide what's worth migrating to the
> SSD.

What I’d recommend is putting an empty /home on the SSD too, mount the
traditional hard drive somewhere like /home2 or /home/hard-drive, move
the small commonly used /home folders into /home on the SSD, and
symlink everything else into place.

So, for example, $HOME/Videos would be a symlink to
/home2/username/Videos, and $HOME/src would be a symlink to
/home2/username/src.

Actually, I’d be tempted to see if I could put the $HOME/src on the SSD,
too, and time what sort of difference it made doing a software build.
Accessing lots of small files is what a SSD shines at.

Keep videos, recorded music, and other big files you access sequentially
on the traditional hard drive: that’s what hard drives are good at.

James

--
E-mail: james@ | “Never trust a species that grins all the time.
aprilcottage.co.uk | It’s up to something.”

Old 07-14-2012, 07:19 PM
James Wilkinson

I wrote:
> What I’d recommend is putting an empty /home on the SSD too, mount the
> traditional hard drive somewhere like /home2 or /home/hard-drive,

Thinking about it, putting it under /home is likely to keep SELinux
happier.

James.

--
E-mail: james@ | I tried a home printer but the home blew away.