Old 07-30-2012, 10:04 PM
Jack Craig

Default How to debug high system load?

On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 1:59 PM, Suvayu Ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello everyone,

On Thu, Jul 12, 2012 at 01:00:34PM +0200, Suvayu Ali wrote:

> Hi,

> I have a ThinkPad (Core i7, 2.67GHz) with F17 and I'm seeing high system

> loads persistently. Right from boot up I see loads of 1, and often it

> goes up to 2 or more.

> Things I have looked at:

> 1. I'm using Xfce, so the desktop environment is also light.

> 2. I looked at the output of `systemctl list-units' and don't see any

> * *unnecessary services enabled.

> 3. top only says currently Xorg is the most active process with 1% CPU

> * *activity. From the activity summary of atop since boot, I see it's

> * *Xorg with 3% CPU usage. And while idling all my 4 logical cores are

> * *throttled down and are at about 1%.

> So my question is since CPU usage is already so low, what could be

> driving up the system load? This is bugging me since I also see a

> general sluggishness compared to a much faster system early this year.

To answer myself; after I upgraded to kernel 3.4.6-2.fc17.x86_64

yesterday, I haven't seen any issues with load. My average load when

browsing, reading email, or other regular desktop activities is ~ 0.22.

Cheers,

*Just curious, I dont see your comments on what top tells you?

you did try running top ?

--

Suvayu

Old 07-30-2012, 11:28 PM
Suvayu Ali

On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 03:04:27PM -0700, Jack Craig wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 1:59 PM, Suvayu Ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> Hello everyone,
>
> On Thu, Jul 12, 2012 at 01:00:34PM +0200, Suvayu Ali wrote:

[...]

> > 3. top only says currently Xorg is the most active process with 1% CPU
> > activity. From the activity summary of atop since boot, I see it's
> > Xorg with 3% CPU usage. And while idling all my 4 logical cores are
> > throttled down and are at about 1%.

[...]

> Just curious, I dont see your comments on what top tells you?
> you did try running top ?

I did mention it. I also tried many other things all of which I reported
back to the list. You can find the gory details in the archive.

<http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/users/2012-July/thread.html#421944>

--
Suvayu

Old 07-31-2012, 03:21 PM
Jack Craig

I did mention it. I also tried many other things all of which I reported

back to the list. You can find the gory details in the archive.

<http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/users/2012-July/thread.html#421944>

Interesting! So the audio chip is the culprit or just the most recent candidate?

*

--

Suvayu

Old 07-31-2012, 03:45 PM
Suvayu Ali

On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 08:21:57AM -0700, Jack Craig wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 4:28 PM, Suvayu Ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > I did mention it. I also tried many other things all of which I reported
> > back to the list. You can find the gory details in the archive.
> >
> > <http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/users/2012-July/thread.html#
> > 421944>
>
> Interesting! So the audio chip is the culprit or just the most recent
> candidate?

Are you refering to the Intel HD audio chipsets issue? I don't think
so, because I haven't had any problems with audio in quite a while.
Moreover I think my hardware was not one of the affected ones:

product: 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset High Definition Audio
vendor: Intel Corporation

As I mentioned in my earlier posts; it seemed like a file system issue,
but then I'm no expert. Would interesting to know what was causing the
problem though. Maybe I'll reboot to the older kernel when I have some
time and see if I can replicate it.

--
Suvayu