Old 07-16-2012, 01:58 AM
Joe Zeff

Default Missing Something.....

Because 1) "compressing" usually means something else (perhaps you meant
"compacting"), and 2) "vacuuming" appears to be a standard term in
database circles. It's even a built-in operation in sqlite and
presumably other db systems (I'm no expert).

Yes, thank you, "compacting" was what I was thinking of.

Old 07-16-2012, 03:51 AM
Tim

On Sun, 2012-07-15 at 12:23 -0400, Eddie O'Connor wrote:
> WOW!.....that's a LOT to digest! I wouldn't mind going about it with
> that suggestion of using a tmp directory that automatically empties
> itself out, but I'm wondering if that wouldn't cause problems with the
> installed program?....

No, not really. Programs create temporary files as they go along, and
should really delete them when finished, but often don't. And once a
program has been closed down, there's definitely no need for the files
to remain.

Putting it very simply: No file in the /tmp directory is meant to be
kept permanently.

> (I'm so used to just letting the PC do what it wants in regards to
> files!) And I've already had instances (with Windows) where I've
> changed the installation directory for a program and it didn't work as
> expected because fo the change.....s

This isn't windows...

Generally speaking, Linux programs install to where they're meant to go,
and they don't stomp over other important files as they're installed
(unlike many windows programs that will foul up important system files).
If a Linux program needs some other system files to be installed as a
dependency, that package doesn't include those system files, it triggers
the installation of the system files from their own package.

There are some packages that you can manually install (from tarball
files, for instance). But that's not the norm with Fedora. And those
sort of file tend to be installed completely within their own
directories, somewhere in /opt or /usr/local.

By the way, on this list we do not write replies above the quote (top
posting), and we remove the stuff that's not really necessary to send
back in the reply.
--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686