Old 07-10-2012, 04:21 AM
Philip Rhoades

Default Production server running from USB stilck with /var on HD ? - finished email!

People,

Sorry, I accidentally sent the previous note before it was finished .
.:

I have been using RH and Fedora since the beginning and love it! I
like to keep up with the latest version of Fedora on my production
server and although the install of the OS itself from a LiveCD/USB is
very fast, restoring all the other stuff (web sites, mailing lists etc)
takes quite a while. To reduce downtime of the server, what I did last
time was to install to a virtual machine which used a physical HD and
then to reboot the real server on the new HD when it was ready to go.
Now I am thinking of installing to a USB stick on a workstation, getting
it all working and then moving the USB stick to the server but having
all the changeable files on /var (or anywhwere else) symlinked to a dir
on the server HD for speed. What are the potential problems with this
idea? I can see:

- slower bootup

- less reliable media for critical files

Are there other reasons why this approach might not be a good idea?

Thanks,

Phil.
--
Philip Rhoades