Old 07-08-2012, 04:42 PM
Steven Stern

Default Hardware vendors

My 7 year old Dell Dimension 8400 is on its last legs, so I thought it
time to find something new:

07/07/2012 11:57:40AM Agent (Sagar A): "Hi Steve"
07/07/2012 11:57:42AM Agent (Sagar A): "Welcome to Dell US Chat! My name
is Sagar Andreas and I will be your Dell.com Sales Chat Expert.I can be
reached at sagar_andreas@dell.com or via phone at
*******-*******-*******-******* ext. ******* . How may I help you today?"
07/07/2012 11:58:25AM steve: "I'm pricing out desktop computers. I plan
to install Linux. I don't see an option to select "no operating system".
Is there a way NOT to pay for Windows?"
07/07/2012 11:58:48AM Agent (Sagar A): "Its my pleasure to have you on
my chat line today. I'd be more than happy to assist you."
07/07/2012 11:59:38AM Agent (Sagar A): "Steve i am so sorry we dont have
any systems which comes with Linux as call comes with windows OS"
07/07/2012 12:00:01PM steve: "That's a shame. I guess I'm done buying
Dells."
07/07/2012 12:01:01PM steve: "bye"
07/07/2012 12:01:44PM Agent (Sagar A): "i am so sorry ..."
07/07/2012 12:01:48PM Agent (Sagar A): "Is there anything else that I
can help you with?"

Now that I'm done with Dell, I've priced out systems on Ohava, zareason,
and System76. The quotes come out with insignificant dollar differences.
Do you have any experience with these vendors?

A few comments;

1) No, I don't want to assemble my own machine from parts.
2) I plan to install Fedora 17
3) Looking at a quad core i5-3550, 8GB memory, standard "intel advanced
graphics" rather than a more expensive Radeon card.
4) 500GB SATA disk
5) mini- or mid-tower case

--
-- Steve

Old 07-08-2012, 05:05 PM
Zoltan Hoppar

Hi

As far as I know, Zareason has some long term quality issues, and
mostly system76 are correct in every view but expensive compared to
your wishes. I think the middle laptop after configuring will solve
your problems.

Zoltan

2012/7/8 Steven Stern <subscribed-lists@sterndata.com>:
> My 7 year old Dell Dimension 8400 is on its last legs, so I thought it
> time to find something new:
>
> 07/07/2012 11:57:40AM Agent (Sagar A): "Hi Steve"
> 07/07/2012 11:57:42AM Agent (Sagar A): "Welcome to Dell US Chat! My name
> is Sagar Andreas and I will be your Dell.com Sales Chat Expert.I can be
> reached at sagar_andreas@dell.com or via phone at
> *******-*******-*******-******* ext. ******* . How may I help you today?"
> 07/07/2012 11:58:25AM steve: "I'm pricing out desktop computers. I plan
> to install Linux. I don't see an option to select "no operating system".
> Is there a way NOT to pay for Windows?"
> 07/07/2012 11:58:48AM Agent (Sagar A): "Its my pleasure to have you on
> my chat line today. I'd be more than happy to assist you."
> 07/07/2012 11:59:38AM Agent (Sagar A): "Steve i am so sorry we dont have
> any systems which comes with Linux as call comes with windows OS"
> 07/07/2012 12:00:01PM steve: "That's a shame. I guess I'm done buying
> Dells."
> 07/07/2012 12:01:01PM steve: "bye"
> 07/07/2012 12:01:44PM Agent (Sagar A): "i am so sorry ..."
> 07/07/2012 12:01:48PM Agent (Sagar A): "Is there anything else that I
> can help you with?"
>
> Now that I'm done with Dell, I've priced out systems on Ohava, zareason,
> and System76. The quotes come out with insignificant dollar differences.
> Do you have any experience with these vendors?
>
> A few comments;
>
> 1) No, I don't want to assemble my own machine from parts.
> 2) I plan to install Fedora 17
> 3) Looking at a quad core i5-3550, 8GB memory, standard "intel advanced
> graphics" rather than a more expensive Radeon card.
> 4) 500GB SATA disk
> 5) mini- or mid-tower case
>

> --
> -- Steve

PGP: 06853DF7

Old 07-08-2012, 05:14 PM
Geoffrey Leach

Check out Puget Systems http://www.pugetsystems.com. They have exactly
the configuration that you're looking for.

I have purchased two systems from them: a 17" laptop and an "Echo I"
that I intend to use as a DVR. Both are running Linux, needless to say.
Puget uses Linux internally, and can provide a "no OS" system. It may
be relevant to your decision that their QA is Windows-based.

My laptop worked out-of-the-box. The Echo I has a problem with sound,
but I attribute that to either configuration problems or that snd-hdr-
intel has not caught up with the Ivy Bridge architecture.

Puget's prices are on the high side. However their customer service is
superb. Getting an email from a rep who is out sick on a Sunday, for
example. And their systems come with a lifetime labor warranty. From
what I understand about Dell's service, Puget's will be a revelation.

Good luck.

Old 07-08-2012, 07:00 PM
jackson byers

Steven Stern wrote:

> Now that I'm done with Dell, I've priced out systems on
> Ohava, zareason, and System76.
> The quotes come out with insignificant dollar differences.
> Do you have any experience with these vendors?

> 1) No, I don't want to assemble my own machine from parts.
> 2) I plan to install Fedora 17
> 3) Looking at a quad core i5-3550, 8GB memory, standard "intel advanced
> graphics" rather than a more expensive Radeon card.
> 4) 500GB SATA disk <<<< only one
> 5) mini- or mid-tower case

at the risk of intruding here with a suggestion of another vendor
who will load fedora or any other linux:

http://www.netexpresslabs.com

I have used them in the past with great satisfaction,
both with the ordering process and follow up on any problems.
I am likely to use them in near future again to replace
my old p4 desktop.

they do business mainly via email, so you could easily get
a quote in short order.

more of their website:

"Our current product line includes a variety of servers and workstations which
are available preloaded with UNIX, UNIX clones....."
Our address is sales[at]netexpresslabs[dot]com.
We also offer assistance in selecting the best software and hardware
for each customer and their specific application.
Please feel free to ask for advice. We don’t expect our
customers to be aware of the very latest updates in hardware and software.
That’s our job."

Jack

Old 07-08-2012, 07:09 PM
Dave Stevens

Quoting jackson byers <byersjab@gmail.com>:

Steven Stern wrote:

etc...
when I look at the Puget site I don't see who makes the radio. I've
had a lot of trouble with my netbook's wifi, do you know if they
specify somewhere what kind they use?

Dave

Now that I'm done with Dell, I've priced out systems on
Ohava, zareason, and System76.

snip!

--
If all the advertising in the world were to shut down tomorrow, would people
still go on buying more soap, eating more apples, giving their children more

--- Dorothy L Sayers, in Murder Must Advertise