Old 07-08-2012, 04:00 AM
"Eddie G.O'Connor Jr-I"

Default Fedora 18 and UEFI

On 07/07/2012 10:17 AM, Heinz Diehl wrote:

On 07.07.2012, Reindl Harald wrote:

do not buy the cheapest consumer crap and you are on the safe side
in the BUSINESS market microsoft has nothing to say, really!

Here in Norway, ~99% of all institutions use Windows. Both Windows 7
for their desktop environment, and Windows server for their networks.
Linux is used, but doesn't play an important role.

Even at university/college they are using it. All is Windows-based:
Endnote, Mathlab, SPSS... you name it. As a Linux guy you are
on your own. I spent more than a week hacking on both the Zotero
sourcecode and .CSL-scripts to adopt my universities citation style...

This is why I consider Linux the "better" technology!....not many other
vendors of software would ALLOW you to hack away at their code just for
your own personal achievement!

EGO II

Old 07-08-2012, 07:43 AM
Heinz Diehl

On 08.07.2012, suvayu ali wrote:

> PS: If you are wondering, what I took from the thread, it's going to be
> a pain if at some point the optional requirement to secure boot is
> removed.

This reminds me on the past, before the mainboard/BIOS manufacturers
picked it up as an sales-idea: people (overclockers)had to search for, download and
flash/burn a modified BIOS for their mainboards to get access to CPU-
memory- and busclock settings. Now you can buy mainboards which even
have "dynamic overclocking", and nearly all BIOSes contain a bunch of
tunables to shoot yourself in the foot.

I have no difficulties to imagine a similar scenario, where people buy
their mainboard because they know that a modified BIOS exists for,
which reinforces the "disable secure boot"...

Old 07-08-2012, 09:06 AM
Heinz Diehl

On 08.07.2012, Eddie G.O'Connor Jr-I wrote:

> This is why I consider Linux the "better" technology!....not many other
> vendors of software would ALLOW you to hack away at their code just for your
> own personal achievement!

Jupp! Using Wind*ws and Endnote (which my University provides gratis),
I would just load the universities citation style (which they offer
gratis) into Endnote and all would be 100% correct within seconds.. :-)

Old 07-08-2012, 04:07 PM
Chris Adams

Once upon a time, Dave Ihnat <dihnat@dminet.com> said:
> Once, long ago--actually, on Sun, Jul 08, 2012 at 12:20:02AM +0100--Alan Cox (alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk) said:
> > Many Android ARM based devices are already locked down. In shouting at
> > Microsoft on the ARM issue you need to point fingers at a lot of other
> > people too.
>
> Quite true, and I'm happy to. The main reason Microsoft catches so much
> flak for this is simple--they're the 800 lb. (363 Kg) gorilla in the room.

Well, they're the 800 lb. gorilla in the _desktop PC_ room. They're
also a large gorilla in the x86 server room, but they're more like a
small gnat in the tablet room (and maybe a large dog in the smartphone
room).

The tablet/smartphone market has already decided to sell locked-down
devices (see the 800 lb. fruity gorilla in those markets). Microsoft is
just joining in the existing fun there. We don't like the result, but
it is hard to blame Microsoft for aping what the rest of the market is
already doing (and apparently most consumers accept as the norm).

--
Chris Adams <cmadams@hiwaay.net>

Old 07-08-2012, 04:22 PM
Joe Zeff