Old 07-06-2012, 02:04 PM
Dave Mitchell

Default F17: gnome fallback with intel 855GM

On Sat, Jun 09, 2012 at 11:50:03PM +0100, Dave Mitchell wrote:
> Just installed F17 on an old laptop. Gnome 3 is coming up in fallback;
> is there any way to get Gnome shell instead?
>
> My Googling on on the subject seems to indicate that:
>
> * the Intel 8xx graphics have buggy 3D, so are blanket disabled
> in Gnome 3;
>
> * but that starting in F17, Gnome Shell should be able to work with 2D

(replying to myself)

I eventually forced Gnome shell to start by directly hacking
gnome-session-check-accelerated; I have no idea whether this is kosher.

# cd /usr/libexec
# mv gnome-session-check-accelerated gnome-session-check-accelerated.orig
# vi gnome-session-check-accelerated
create new file with the following two lines:
#!/bin/sh
exit 0
# chmod 755 gnome-session-check-accelerated

--
You never really learn to swear until you learn to drive.